• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Train Man: A Shojo Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:50 am Reply with quote
The lack of ELO really brings this manga down Razz

Seriously though, I hope the book maintains one essential charm of the story: the BBS members. The sheer variety of dynamic personalities just seems to help contribute to the story, at least in the TV series.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to put on my lollerskates so I can get to my roflcopter.
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:01 am Reply with quote
You overdosed on teh Internets again, didn't you? Razz
Eos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
Of the three manga versions in the US, I liked this one the best. It was short and the story seemed more geniune. The message board feel came through the most in Viz's manga.

They might look like teens in the shojo version, but the CMX release makes them out to be 5th graders. That's rather disturbing to me.

Last edited by Eos on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote
wait wait wait.
I was going to ask about why two companies had the same manga on the shelves. I just knew the novels had the same name at least.

There are three versions each done by a different compnay? Is there somewhere I can read why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:33 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
wait wait wait.
I was going to ask about why two companies had the same manga on the shelves. I just knew the novels had the same name at least.

There are three versions each done by a different compnay? Is there somewhere I can read why?

Why is because there's money to be made. The full explanation can be found here, but the gyst of it is that no one really owned the rights to the original story, apparently, so ANYONE could adapt it as they see fit. When the initial collection of the internet postings sold through the roof, you can't help but expect people to jump on the bandwagon, which is why you end up with not three but FOUR different manga adaptations (although only 3 are coming out in the US):

Train Man: Densha Otoko (Viz)
Densha Otoko (CMX)
Train Man: A Shojo Manga (Del Rey)
Densha Otoko - Ganbare Dokuotoko! (not released on English....yet, anyway)

I'm pretty surprised that all of these manga adaptations came out so far in advance of the movie being out on DVD in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Eos wrote:
They might look like teens in the shojo version, but the CMX release makes them out to be 5th graders. That's rather disturbing to me.

For serious? The CMX one was the only version I hadn't read yet.

I think I'll skip.

"Get there before the hair" indeed... Rolling Eyes
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:40 pm Reply with quote
omgoggles, I think I probably won't read this. Interesting premise, though. It's neat to see the same story told by different people.
Eos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Eos wrote:

For serious? The CMX one was the only version I hadn't read yet.

I think I'll skip.

"Get there before the hair" indeed... Rolling Eyes

Looks that way to me
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/4253231535.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
roujin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
hmmm I think I might want to skip this one. The fact that the otaku angle is shied away from just kind of takes from it. Perhaps I'm still too stuck on the drama Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1