• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Please Save My Earth

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I love this column so much. Smile

Quote:
Please Save My Earth is unforgettable; the sort of story that only comes along once in a decade

Could not agree with you more.

Thank you for writing about this series, and reminding our community of the existence of this precious gem.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yay, Buried Treasure is back!

I doubt I'll be checking out the anime due to its incomplete nature, but I think I'm going to get the manga the next time a Viz sale. I've been interested in it ever since reading about it in a book on anime (I don't remember which one) and this seals the deal. The themes seem somewhat similar to Ceres (one of my favorite manga of all time) and I suspect PSME was at least some source of inspiration or influence on Ceres.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
I doubt I'll be checking out the anime due to its incomplete nature, but I think I'm going to get the manga the next time a Viz sale. I've been interested in it ever since reading about it in a book on anime (I don't remember which one) and this seals the deal.

I wouldn't ignore the anime entirely. As the column said, "The manga and anime are meant to compliment each other, and now enjoying one recalls memories of the other. They fill in each other's cracks." I personally think I like the adaptation of those early chapters in the anime MORE than the manga. Hiwatari doesn't really get the mix of comedy and drama quite right in the book's first few volumes, and the comedic elements stick out like a sore thumb. The anime concentrates on the drama, and it sucks you into the story faster. The manga is still definitely worth checking out, and you'll be happy to see where the story goes once it moves past what the OAVs cover.

By the way, I'm pretty shocked at how cavalierly the column threw out the spoiler of spoiler[Rin's past as Shion], as that's built up to be quite a mystery in the first few volumes of the manga (less so the anime, although it's still *meant* to be a surprise). So yeah, anyone who hasn't seen it, don't read this column too closely and you'll probably still be surprised...

I like the dub of this series, as well, but I'm a fan of most of Ocean's dubbing work. I'll agree Christopher Turner wasn't as good of a child actor as, say, Aaron Dismuke on FMA, but I don't mind him too much as Rin. I'll say he was much better as that creepy kid from Mermaid's Scar.

I'm surprised to hear about how low sales were on PSME. I remember Viz plastering it on the cover of Animerica upon release, and that was enough to make me desperate to track it down--though I didn't buy it, I rented it....I do own it on DVD, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Meh. Out of the six part OVAs he mentioned, I'd say Video Girl Ai was loads better than PSME.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:50 pm Reply with quote
i've only seen one epsidoe of this show and i didn't like it. But I think it was the end, so i'll try it from the begining.

Tha rainbow part was intresting- i was just thinking about it the other day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
By the way, I'm pretty shocked at how cavalierly the column threw out the spoiler of spoiler[Rin's past as Shion], as that's built up to be quite a mystery in the first few volumes of the manga (less so the anime, although it's still *meant* to be a surprise). So yeah, anyone who hasn't seen it, don't read this column too closely and you'll probably still be surprised...

Sorry about that. Honestly, that point is such a major part of the characters that it seemed imprudent not to mention it. I'll take a look and see if it's worth making that a little more obtuse.
Edit: Changed one word. Hopefully that solves the problem.

Quote:
I like the dub of this series, as well, but I'm a fan of most of Ocean's dubbing work. I'll agree Christopher Turner wasn't as good of a child actor as, say, Aaron Dismuke on FMA, but I don't mind him too much as Rin. I'll say he was much better as that creepy kid from Mermaid's Scar.

Heh heh... He WAS the creepy kid from Mermaid's Scar. (And one of the kids from Air Bud, although I refuse to watch the movie to find out who.)
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:01 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
Meh. Out of the six part OVAs he mentioned, I'd say Video Girl Ai was loads better than PSME.

I do plan on writing about VGAi at some point in the future. However, as I get older I'm finding the angst of that show doesn't get to me quite as much as it used to. Also, I's soured me a little on Masakazu Katsuura, since the guy really only seems to have one cast of characters in his entire imagination, and is just having them play off each other in barely-different ways in each of his series.

HitokiriShadow, I would check out the anime too; at least rent it. jgreen hits the nail on the head.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised you didn't mention the movie spin-off. Or was that just a recap...?
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm surprised you didn't mention the movie spin-off. Or was that just a recap...?

There was a movie? It's not listed in the Encyclopedia here. I'd guess if it does exist, it's probably a recap, as I've never seen any info about it anywhere before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I only saw it briefly mentioned on a fansub site, so it might be fake.
lalachan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Dude PSME was totally kick ass. I first saw it in 1999. When anime was still a limited selection you watched everything you could find. So PSME was one of them. I cried like twice. Though I am ashamed to say I haven't read the manga knowing that it's long now makes sense to the plot holes that I felt it had. It gives me joy to hear someone talk about it and not say "What?" totally a rare jem. I hope after this people will watch it and see how cool it was. awww now I'm nostalgic. I remember when my choices were Project A-ko and Lodoss Wars. *sigh* ah the good old days. I feel old now. Anime cry
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Also, I's soured me a little on Masakazu Katsuura, since the guy really only seems to have one cast of characters in his entire imagination, and is just having them play off each other in barely-different ways in each of his series.

Have you checked out his Zetman?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jsevakis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:42 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

It does exist. I have the LD. (Actually, I fansubbed it back in the day. Smile

I mentioned it briefly in the section at the bottom about the Korean DVD. It's really just a compressed recap of the OAV, and the OAV already moves so fast that you just lose too much in the movie version. The music choices hurt this version as well, so it's really better off avoided. Aside from a few barely-animated cuts of Alice looking nostalgic among bad CG cherry blossoms, all of the new footage and more is reproduced in the Music Image Video.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
GATSU wrote:

There was a movie? It's not listed in the Encyclopedia here. I'd guess if it does exist, it's probably a recap, as I've never seen any info about it anywhere before.

The movie was just the episodes edited together with a little bit of additional footage. I've got an old fansub tape of it somewhere and it's been years since I've seen either it or the OVA version, so I can't recall what the differences were.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote
So, other than PSME, Toward the Terra and They Were Eleven (all of which I love), can anyone come up with any other similar shoujo SF shows?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3