• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion 1 - 6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
So far I actually don't hate this show. For being so derivative, the story has managed to be pretty interesting. I still feel like it could fall apart any minute, but as of the moment it's okay.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
I couldn't stand this show. The main heroine was awful, always being super overdramatic and emo, and I just got tired of her whining by episode 3. I felt like the show was trying way too hard to be dark, and it just annoys me when people go out of their way to point out that it isn't like Madoka, because when you have to bring that up, then there are some obvious connections.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this anime a lot currently and being the tarot enthusiast that I am, I love the card readings and meanings they point out. As far as dark goes, it definitely has it in spades, and at times it could be considered extreme. I have to admit, I did cringe at spoiler[Episode 6 where Seira's childhood friend Manami got impaled, and while you don't see the result of it, the crunch sound effect is enough to tell you].

I'm looking forward to more as the story has me interested and I really want to see where they're going to take this.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
After Higurashi, PMMM and now Day Break Illusion, we need a new label: "dark moe" Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm loving DBI (I personally think it's better than Madoka), and a friend of mine had a good comparison, based on the description I gave him while recommending it:

Day Break Illusion is to Cardcaptor Sakura as Madoka is to Nanoha.

Also, of interesting note... there are two magical girl series out this season. Both involve the magical girls fighting against cards of some sort. Both have a) the same composer, and b) the same seiyuu for the main protagonist.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Other than the hemming and hawing about moe (seriously is that in your guy's style guide or something?) the review is basically spot on.

GeneiTaiyo certainly isn't perfect, but there is definitely something compelling about it. Its not the next Madoka, but it may just be the next Uta~Kata.
giseki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

GeneiTaiyo certainly isn't perfect, but there is definitely something compelling about it. Its not the next Madoka, but it may just be the next Uta~Kata.

....there will never be another utakata...never....
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Madoka was deep, DBI is shallow. Madoka was mysterious and gripping, DBI telegraphs it's every move. Now don't get me wrong, I like the show, but it's pulp fiction while Madoka was classic sci-fi, worthy of the old masters. Since we're comparing what show DBI is most derivative of, put my vote in for Hell Girl. Episode starts out with (relatively) innocent character with fatal flaw, that flaw is leveraged to accomplish their goals at the cost of their soul, and the end is a pretty flashy revery of destruction. And much like Hell Girl, it's one of those things that loses power each time it is repeated. That might be it's biggest problem. Instead of being shocking, it's just kind of depressing as we continuously watch good people senselessly being let to their doom. (Actually, it's biggest problem is the failure to develop the characters beyond the most basic of archetypes, but you know what I mean).
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, the main thing that Madoka had that Day Break Illusion doesn't have at this point was the ingenious antagonistic magical guardian. The mascot animals in Day Break Illusion kinda suck. Kyubey was pure genius.

Other than that, Madoka had similar levels of "dark moe," with cute looking girls being forced to suffer and die, and magical girls being forced to struggle with their "curse." Both shows have that, and both shows have been pretty good at writing all of that. Additionally, Madoka does have the Homura character which was quite compelling, but I am not sure that Day Break Illusion doesn't have a Homura. I can see at least one of these girls taking on that role.

When it comes to Madoka v Akari, I actually prefer Akari. She is more engaging and more take charge. She is also much more emotive. Madoka was distant, and a puzzle for much of the series.

Is Madoka a better show all together than Day Break Illusion? Yes. However, I don't think there is a massive chasm between them. Instead, Madoka's greatness came due to it's ability to take risks with certain mainstays of the genre, most specifically, the mascot/guardian character.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote
I am watching DBI, but it really does frustrate me. I do think that it is trying a bit too hard to be the next Madoka. The daemonia and their effect on humans IS extremely similar to the witches, to a fault. The group of girls even vaguely mirrors the personalities of the Madoka girls, but without the depth.

I'm not one to call 'derivative of Madoka!' easily because it does frustrate me when people call every single dark magical girl show a Madoka ripoff. Dark magical girl shows have existed for long before Madoka (the first one I watched was Shamanic Princess), but this one veers a little too close. Unfortunately it really lacks the solid, well thought out storytelling and well done characters that Madoka already had by halfway through the series.

The art style is really unappealing to me as well? I can take it on the teens, but it looks so odd on the adult characters.

As for Uta~Kata, DBI is already better than that show. Shocked
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote
I've always felt that Day Break Illusion borrows more from Gai-Rei Zero and Shakugan no Shana than it did from Madoka. I'm not sure why but it always felt more like those shows. Maybe it's the lack of polish? It's rather cheaply animated and it's plot isn't particularly deep which is a lot like those shows or at least what I saw of them.

But DBI is fun and that's why I watch anime.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
I personally haven't seen too many similarities with Madoka Magica beyond the general art choices(part of which are simply magical girl standbys). That said, the main flaw behind this show seems to be that their ambition overran their talent; I hope they manage to keep things up with the direction they've set in episode eight, though.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
All in all, an accurate and fair review, from my viewpoint. I am enjoying DPI quite a bit, much more than I expected to, in fact. (Though Madoka still takes the cake for show that I didn't expect to watch that totally blew me away.)

DBI is, for the most part, entirely predictable. To its credit, that predictability does not actually lessen the impact of the story. In fact, it may enhance it. You see it coming, you know that it will hurt, you can anticipate the gut wrenching pain, and it hits with full force and you just feel the character's pain. That said, it has given me a surprise or two along the way.

The character designs are one of the major flaws of the show. I feel they are trying too hard to be edgy, yet cute and fall too far on the edgy side. The girls aren't so bad, but some of the adults in the show are just beyond weird. (Is one of the fortune tellers Akari used to work with a cross-dresser or just a really, really ugly woman? I can't tell... All I know is I can't wait for the scene to end when that character is on the screen.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
(Is one of the fortune tellers Akari used to work with a cross-dresser or just a really, really ugly woman? I can't tell... All I know is I can't wait for the scene to end when that character is on the screen.)

Pretty sure he's a cross dresser.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a no-sex /both-sexes type of person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2