• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Eccentric Family (Uchōten Kazoku) (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed that the Ebisugawa old guy isn't very deep. The show goes through a lot of trouble to make even the Friday Fellows interesting, even as they want to eat the main characters, but this guy comes across as just a generic bad guy.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Also, after Souichirou told his brother that spoiler[not seeing Akadama-sensei anymore was his own fault, i'm starting to suspect that he might really have been attracted to Benten. ]

spoiler[He said it was his problem, not his fault (unless that's open to interpretation of the Japanese). Although we know that his brother knew he couldn't transform around Benten (because Benten obviously knew), I don't think Souichiro wanted to openly state that weakness to a brother he probably knew was underhanded enough to use it against him (though I don't think he foresaw he would use it against him in such a lethal manner).] But we can both believe what we want until the series says it straight out, which I doubt it will and hope it won't. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Benten is such a mysterious character in this show....I can never read her tbh. I still find Yasaburou and Benten's relationship to be one of the most peculiar and interesting one's this season. (even from the first episode)

Agreed. Although I do find it interesting, I also find it frustrating. I keep hoping we'll get some insight as to why Yasoburou doesn't hate Benten for being part of his father's death. I really hope it doesn't come down to some typical Bhuddist / Zen "what will be will be, so there's no point in getting bent out of shape" horse-shit.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

What an annoying evil jack-ass the Ebisugawa men are. Can't our heroes just turn into dangerous creatures and tear them a new one, although the same could be said of the bad guys, but the good guys seem to be a bit better. Kaisei spoiler[knew that the entire time], maybe it is why she could not show herself.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But we can both believe what we want until the series says it straight out, which I doubt it will and hope it won't. Smile

Well, it's not that i outright believe it now, it just seemed more likely. I blame danilo07 for bringing it up in the first place. Very Happy

Btw, it would be really cool if the spoiler[frog prince could come to the rescue somehow. He's the only one they didn't catch because they thought he couldn't do anything and he's still feeling guilty for 'abandoning' his father, so being able to save his brother would be a nice plot twist. But i guess that won't happen as long as he's unable to tranform, perhaps Kaisei should try kissing him...]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I really hope it doesn't come down to some typical Bhuddist / Zen "what will be will be, so there's no point in getting bent out of shape" horse-shit.

It's funny that you word it like that, since the ending song is titled "Que será será", though I haven't paid especial attention to the lyrics
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
First I must comment on how greatly directed this series,not one shot looks boring.Even conversations are directed greatly,for example http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-09-09-10h51m02s171_zpsd7bb0d42.png.html this shot was at beginning of conversation and that was when it seemed like Soun and So are indeed in good relationship.The shot quite clearly emphasizes their closeness.Then when things start to turn bad we get this http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/RollingPenguin7/media/vlcsnap-2013-09-09-10h51m24s168_zpsf5e206a6.png.html, this shot quite beautifully portrays the emotional distance between brothers.

I also dont think Soun is such a simplistic antagonist.It seems that spoiler[tanuki tradition and social norms made him what he is today.One of the probable reasons for his failure to marry Mother Shimogamo(?) was that he has lower position in family hierarchy,he must respect his brothers wishes and make place for him.Tanuki society is a society that favors inherited status,so it seems normal that there would be an individual like Soun who out of jealousy would try to overthrow such status.I am thinking that whole marriage between Yasaborou and Kaisei was to stop traditional feud between older and younger brother(or in this case between Yajiro and Yasaburou).I also think that what cause the schism between Ebisugawas and Shimogamos was probably conflict between two brothers over a woman.This thoery does have a lot of holes,but that can be easily removed in next 3 episodes.]
Quote:
Agreed. Although I do find it interesting, I also find it frustrating. I keep hoping we'll get some insight as to why Yasoburou doesn't hate Benten for being part of his father's death. I really hope it doesn't come down to some typical Bhuddist / Zen "what will be will be, so there's no point in getting bent out of shape" horse-shit.

I dont think you will ever see an answer for that question,it was established in previous episodes with Hotei that he has no idea why he loves her himself.He wants to hate her,but he just cant(this was conversation he had with Yajiro).
Quote:
Well, it's not that i outright believe it now, it just seemed more likely. I blame danilo07 for bringing it up in the first place.

MUAHAHAHAHAHA all according to my plan!Now dance puppets!DANCE!!!
Quote:
It's funny that you word it like that, since the ending song is titled "Que será será", though I haven't paid especial attention to the lyrics

I would say that "Que será será" altitude applies more to their relationship with death rather than with interaction amongst each other.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I really hope it doesn't come down to some typical Bhuddist / Zen "what will be will be, so there's no point in getting bent out of shape" horse-shit.

Laughing That's hilarious - I hadn't even noticed that before. But yeah, danilo07 is probably right in that they've probably dealt with that particular issue as much as they are ever going to deal with it. Benten's complete lack of remorse (or seeming lack of remorse) really bugs me though.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Laughing That's hilarious - I hadn't even noticed that before. But yeah, danilo07 is probably right in that they've probably dealt with that particular issue as much as they are ever going to deal with it. Benten's complete lack of remorse (or seeming lack of remorse) really bugs me though.

I'm still thinking that the scene a few episodes ago of her crying is from her remorse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe. But she certainly wasn't showing much ambivalence during the flashback scene.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching the series yesterday and I'm in love. Why hasn't anyone licensed this yet?

I have to admit that I'm normally not a very emotional person but episode 8 was just so heart wrenching.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
I just started watching the series yesterday and I'm in love. Why hasn't anyone licensed this yet?

IIRC, the Japanese BDs will have English subtitles...
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11
I do hope they spoiler[escape before getting eaten soon. I was somewhat surprised by the trap set up this episode. Kaisei was a quick thinker though]. But damn, this episode was a bit intense. You know it if there's spoiler[no OP song playing] in the beginning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, we already know how some of next episode will go thanks to the spoilers in the preview (and next episode title, for crying out loud).
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:12 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, we already know how some of next episode will go thanks to the spoilers in the preview (and next episode title, for crying out loud).

Yeah, but we don't really know if they'll be able to spoiler[ save big bro from the hotpot...]and i gotta admit that this preview got me really excited because spoiler[ yay, frogbro to the resuce!] Smile

Anyhow, this series continues to intrigue me and so does Benten. From a tanuki POV she embodies everything they fear (humans) and admire (tengu) and since we are viewing this story from a tanuki perspective, she's that unpredictable, cruel and mysterious character to us as well. It would be interesting to actually see her side of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11