• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Credit Hogs

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I personally would like to know the technical details. But then again I'm one of those people that never turns down the opportunity to learn how something works, no matter what it is...
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Great column this week! I also agree about wanting to know more about technical details. I may not understand the details perfectly, but I'll have at least been exposed to the language and logic.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I will add another +1 to the votes for technical questions. Some, most, or all of it will be above my head, but it should be fun and interesting to read anyway.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The thing I love the most about the FUNi releases is that they DO translate the credits within the show. If you don't, it just makes the product look lazy. Plus, if you enjoy watching the credits like I do sometimes, having to watch the English credits scroll by without any music is just annoying.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the tech stuff could be saved for a week with few questions. I myself never minded reading tech bits from previous columns, even when I didn't understand most of what was said. It still helps me understand that something is a big mess ( ie, subtitles on blu-rays ).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Viz doesn't dub their own anime. They outsource their dubs to studios like Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, Ocean, and NYAV Post.

Voice actors do work for more than one studio... provided they're in the area. Lots of Texas voice actors do work at both FUNimation and Seraphim Digital (who records most of Sentai's dubs), since they're both located in Texas (FUNi in Dallas-Ft. Worth, Seraphim in Houston).

Bang Zoom, Studiopolis, New Generation Pictures, NYAV Post (one of it's studios) and formerly Animaze were all in Los Angeles, and they're certainly not the only ones. They all share the same pool of actors, depending on the union status of the project.

Headline Studios, NYAV Post (it's other studio) DuArt Film & Video, and formerly 4Kids and TAJ Productions are all in New York. Once again, the voice pool is pretty much the same.

Like Justin said, every once in a while, a voice actor will travel or move to a different area to do voice-work, but because anime work is on the lower-paying side, it's not common with the high-travel fees. Notice that since Laura Bailey has moved to LA, she's only reprised previous roles for FUNi (and maybe the occasional bit part)? There was a time when she was in pretty much everything FUNimation did (usually the lead too). The same thing has happened to Cherami Leigh, Vic Mignogna, Sean Schemmel, and Todd Haberkorn, as well as Crispin Freeman when he moved from New York to LA.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not as concerned about what they do for television shows, but I really wish that FUNimation would at least maintain the original Japanese credits for films. Not just because of visual losses like the Evangelion credit graphics that Justin mentioned, but because maintaining at least an option to watch a film with its original credits is pretty standard practice as far as cinema goes. The fact that the fonts which FUNimation aren't quite up to theatrical standards sure doesn't help.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Your technical expertise is the main attraction to the new Answerman. The more in-depth you get, the happier I am.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
This was an awesome read. Thanks!

FlamingFirewire wrote:
The thing I love the most about the FUNi releases is that they DO translate the credits within the show. If you don't, it just makes the product look lazy. Plus, if you enjoy watching the credits like I do sometimes, having to watch the English credits scroll by without any music is just annoying.

This.

Also as said in the column, it's really cool when they pull it off with readable credits done in the same style as the original with as much of the same fonts and effects as possible.

I'd also love to see one about the technical stuff.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
If the person asking the second question had bothered to check, they'd have realized that Stephanie Sheh actually HAS been in One Piece. It was a no-name role, but she was in it.

In fact, Stephanie is one of the few VA's who will do work for ANYONE. She's regularly seen in LA, New York, AND Dallas dubs. About the only North American studio she hasn't done work for is Seraphim Digital, and I wouldn't put it past her to give it a try some day. She and Patrick Seitz are probably the most "travel-ready" VA's in the business.

Oh, and about Seitz, he's actually voicing Franky in the One Piece dub, which is a MAIN ROLE. That man goes back and forth between LA and Texas so much that I swear he has teleportation powers or something. Anime dazed
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Even when I was a little kid I insisted that we stay through the credits every time we go see a movie. They're important to me. But the thing is, I like to actually know what they say. I like reading the names, knowing who did what.

That reminds me of not too long ago when I went to see Arrietty in the theater (the last time I've been, since it's a rarity for me). There was a kid wondering why I wasn't getting up to leave when the credits rolled. I ignored them, but sure made me feel awkward.

As far as credits go, I prefer to have things both ways, like Sentai does it. The original Japanese kanji credits, those credits completely (not missing minor credits) translated into English, and a complete (including MINOR roles in the dub cast by episode: Aniplex and on a few occasions Sentai frustrate me a good bit in this regard lately) list of the English production credits. I like to contribute to the Encyclopedia here, so all this information is very important to me in a number of ways. This situation is a pretty good example of when having the kanji credits is pretty important. When a US release is missing the kanji credits, they can often be found online via the actual source (FUNimation's subtitled streams keep them, for instance) or some Japanese wiki transcribing them (you have to hope they got transcribed correctly), but this is not always the case.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
These days you practically have to stay through the credits for most blockbuster films, with end-credit or even mid-credit sequences being so common. So by this point, unless I have another film to catch, I stay until the projector goes dark.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
+Like to the technical details answers as well. We keep hearing talk about how blurays are difficult to author, and it would be interesting to know why this is so difficult, even though I've never authored a thing.

Nothing wrong with education.

As for the credits question, I'm going to be vocal to say I hate the way Sentai breaks episodes with this credit rolling crap they pull. At least Nozomi puts a little flair and music within their credits, but Sentai Walmart's the hell out of it with no sound, black background, and the slowest credit rolling I've seen.

Now, some people will just say "fast forward", and usually, I do, but I'm not always in a position to do so, as I may have a series on for background sound, or the family's over watching it and saying "Where's the show?"

What's wrong with adding this stuff as extras? I would think this would be much easier for everyone.
kanechin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
If anyone wants to hear Bosch(red) and Haberkorn(blue) in a kids anime they're two of the mains in Tenkai Knights and Crispin Freeman is the villain.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, good stream of questions this week. It looks like the question that I was thinking of sending in fit in quite well thematically, as I also have a question that relates to credits, but eh, maybe next time.

I haven't given all that much thought about the practice of putting English credits over the original artwork. In fact, that's been preferred by me for a long while now, as it seems to speak to a greater level of professionalism, showing that they bothered to do more than they necessarily needed to. (Well, at least in this day and age... Sentai's release of Pet Shop of Horrors, which seems to be nothing more than a copy job of Urban Vision's release, had an incredibly lamely put-together credits roll merged with the art.) But considering how there may be issues that crop up... yeah, I guess I can understand. I had no idea about the credits roll for the Evangelion Rebuild films, and how FUNI's release differed noticeably from them. How exactly were the original Japanese credits stylized? Confused

I know many voice actors can't work with other anime publishers due to location, but isn't that no problem at all for at least a few of the more prolific ones? As in, can't they do it via a suitable recording studio from home or something along those lines? I thought I read somewhere-- perhaps an Answerman column Brian Hanson covered-- that Vic Mignogna is actually able to do recordings for FUNI from a home studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4