• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Results of Japan's First Ever Seiyuu Awards Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scortia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:02 am Reply with quote
Woot,... go Romi Paku! She's proven to be quite versatile between female and young male roles over the last few years. Jun was fabulous as Albert in Gankutsuou so yay for him as well.

I hope to see Jouji Nakata getting special honors eventually... but he's not retiring any time soon (I hope!).
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Wonder what constitutes a "rookie" seiyuu. It can't be first roles, since Aya Hirano was on Eyeshield 21 a year before Haruhi Suzumiya. Maybe it's leading role?
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
an award for Seiyuu's and Megumi H didn't win any awards? That is sad Sad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:
Wonder what constitutes a "rookie" seiyuu. It can't be first roles, since Aya Hirano was on Eyeshield 21 a year before Haruhi Suzumiya. Maybe it's leading role?

I couldn't find the official definition but I would assume so. All four winners have leading roles in respective titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
First ever Japanese Seiyuu Awards and these people were all nominated for CURRENT anime series. How VERY interesting! I wonder how they were able to do that without resorting to every anime ever made?! I'm impressed!

Congratulations to all of the winners! I like Romi Paku and Akira Ishida. So congrats especially to them!
quigonkenny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 am Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

And was in Kiddy Grade in 2002. Must be "first lead role."

And she was totally shafted in the best musical performance. Of course, maybe having "God Knows," "Lost My Music," and "Hare Hare Yukai" as potential nominees probably hurt her. Does it list the nominees anywhere?

EDIT: Found it (Google is your friend). She was nominated for "Bouken Deshou Deshou" and "Hare Hare Yukai" (with Minori Chihara and Yuko Goto). She was the only multiple nominee, so my argument holds, if not my specifics.
saorren

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
GoodLuckSaturday wrote:

the definition is in the official site:

Quote:
* 下記の条件を満たすもの
原則として声優としてデビュー5年以内
対象期間中に「新人賞」を取るにふさわしい、特に目立った活躍をした方。

mainly it's... they have debuted within the past 5 years... i think.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to saorren for finding it out. Apparently I didn't look hard enough. Embarassed

quigonkenny wrote:
And she was totally shafted in the best musical performance.

While I praise her acting, her singing is no match for Nana Mizuki, who was born in a Enka family and learned how to sing about the same time she learned how to walk. If you have heard Hirano singing live you'd know her weaknesses: she's way too thin to provide sufficient air flow for her voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
an award for Seiyuu's and Megumi H didn't win any awards? That is sad Sad

Technically she did win an award, being part of the cast of Pokemon that won the Synergy award.

It's not that she isn't a great voice actress, it's just that they were doing awards for performances over the past year (as best as I could tell): 2006. A look at her encyclopedia page indicates the only major roles she had were for Pokemon and the title character of Paprika. She just hasn't taken on much work since she was pregnant and gave birth to her daughter, mainly movies and OAVs. This is not to say that quantity outweighs quality, but I think they're just considering her work over that time period and not her complete body of work which is significant and amazing.

(random tip: you can change your user preferences to list titles in the encyclopedia chronologically - I just learned this today)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel a little odd posting on this thread given my status as a confirmed dub-lover but what the heck!

Aya Hirano is no surprise as a winner, although it's an odd category to nominate her in. (I lack the ability to comprehend Japanese so I have zero idea what the official definition for the rookie category is.) Aya would have won something no matter what though. The power of Haruhi knows no bounds.

Kind of suprised Mamiko Noto wasn't amongst the winners (don't know if she was nominated either. Again, can't read nada on the site.) She's an exceptionally talented actress in my opinion and certainly gives consistently powerful performances. Her recent work in Jigoku Shoujo is especially notable I think.

Anyway, sounds like there were fewer glitches over there with the Seiyuu Awards than here with the Anime Awards.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
YES! *squeals with delight*

I am ridiculously happy Paku Romi won this award. She is fantastically talented and absolutely deserves the recognition. And hurrah for FukuJun! It's nice to know the uber-uke can get kudos for his 'serious' (well, emo ;- ) work too.

Hirano Aya's win is no surprise. She was brilliant as Haruhi and everyone knows it.

Glad to see Ishida Akira there as well, although isn't GSD a little old compared to the rest of the list?

I'm pleased they started doing this, can't wait to see who wins next year. Smile
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:39 pm Reply with quote
this is really cool. i haven't heard a lot of these artists but i've heard of some of them. and i'm happy to hear Romi Paku won, and i was pleasently surprised to learn that the actor for Bleach's Ichigo was a new-comer! as well as the voice of Mikoto from Princess Princess. They both have done very well! Anime catgrin so i'm very happy for everyone.
kurotsuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:13 pm Reply with quote
why hasn't Noto Mamiko won anything ? Crying or Very sad
W-General

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I must congratulate Fukuyama Jun for winning best voice actor. He truly deserved it.

Fukujun has generally playeed the role of the kind-hearted/weak soft-spoken pretty boy type of character. His performance in Code Geass as Lelouch, the revenge-driven anti-hero, was truly well done. Especially considering that even in the show, Lelouch often switches between his ordinary voice and the slightly deeper "Zero" voice.

Koshimizu Ami also did a great job switching between softspoken Kallen Stadfeld and the intense Kouzuki Karen.

(I admit I'm just a code geass fanboy Wink )
Crescent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
Glad to see Ishida Akira there as well, although isn't GSD a little old compared to the rest of the list?

Yes and no. Yes, it finished airing nearly a year and a half ago, but as far as the awards seemed to be concerned, No - Between DVD releases/sales bubbling over into 2006 and the four Special Edition compilation movies released from last year to last month, it's still "current" enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3