• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Butler" Cafe Opens in Akiba April 1st

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:13 am Reply with quote
Although I think I know the answer, as I have looked into this in the past somewhat. But...

Are most of these aimed at girls or guys?

From what I understand it is girls, but I have suspiscions. Course I don't know the culture as well as many of you do, but I can't see this taking off as much as the maid version. Simply because from what I know, of girls I know, they just wouldn't get (very/as) much business. I am sure it would hit a once a year maybe type of thing, but no where near the Otaku level of the maids.

Fill me in? What kind of girls will frequent these things?

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with any answer. i.e. It doesn't bother me at all anyway a person swings it. It just seems to me that there have been like 6 or so of these things opening in the last year(which is a lot for a new concept), and I really want to know what the market is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Fill me in? What kind of girls will frequent these things?

You underestimated the purchasing power of fujoshi (AKA yaoi fangirls), and even non-fujoshi females can enjoy servile pretty boys. Go read/watch Ouran High School Host Club. Now.

Although I wonder why didn't they open the cafe at "Otome Road" of Ikebukuro instead, where most fujoshi gather.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote
I thought ANN had a policy banning any April Fools joke related articles?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Go read/watch Ouran High School Host Club. Now.

I have been interested in getting that for some time, but always passed it off for something else. But now I think I am even more interested. It is back to the top, or at least towards the top of my list again.

Also I wasn't underestimating the buying power of women, just the frequency of return trips to the same establisment. But this is small font because it was an honest question that there is no way I can answer. I am no expert on there culture.

Anyway, thanks for a point in the right direction dormcat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:27 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Although I wonder why didn't they open the cafe at "Otome Road" of Ikebukuro instead, where most fujoshi gather.

Actually, I think there are already two (and maybe more?) on Otome Road. The two I know of are "Swallowtail" and "B:Lilly-Rose".
I haven't been to either of them yet though, but from what I've heard Swallowtail is more expensive and "fancy"-seeming and B:Lilly-Rose is women crossdressing as the bishounen butlers.

I really think there are more than those two now though. I was flipping through a magazine once and there was an article about the different butler cafes that had just opened....I wish I had picked it up Anime hyper.

As for the new cafe in Akiba, hehe it's about time. Maid cafes are everywhere so a butler cafe is nice for a change.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1