• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Badass Warrior Princesses

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doomroar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote
Were is princess Mononoke?!!!!

how the hell is she not here?! unbelievable.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
W[h]ere is [P]rincess Mononoke?!!!!

[H]ow the he[ck] is she not here?! [U]nbelievable.

She's not there because Nausicaa is twice the woman she is, and "The List" tends not to include two copies of the same character (in this case, the princess fighting for Nature in a Miyazaki movie).

You didn't even remember her name was "San" and not "Mononoke", so it's totally believable that she'd lose out to Nausicaa. Razz
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Doomroar wrote:
Were is princess Mononoke?!!!!

how the hell is she not here?! unbelievable.

I think you will find that San (Monoke-hime or Princess of the Spirits) is only so because that was the nickname given her by Lady Eboshi. In all other respects she is an ordinary, common-or-garden, human girl.

(Well, apart from the 'being raised by a wolf god' thing, of course!)
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
...I would be OK with bumping one of them for Lafiel from {Crest,Banner} of the Stars, though.

(Unless "badass warrior" is shorthand for "melee combatant" here.)
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I keep thinking there was someone obvious missing from this list but I guess Amelia from the Slayers doesn't rate on the badass warrior princess scale. Princess Senes from Scrapped Princess? I knows she more of a man than swordfighter hero and probable love interest Shannon {...a guy, to be clear}, maybe's she outclassed by the nonfighting Princess Pacifica. It'll come to me eventually.

As for Leina, at the beginning of Queen's Blade, she strikes out on the "badass warrior" qualifier too and even at the end, it's more heresay than true ability. I think the only reason she won was because her teacher {for three days?} Echidna walked away from the tournament without fighting. And Nanael was depowered. And Risty was brainwashed. And Tomoe had other things on her mind. And Airi had a sudden attack of conscience. And...
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda agree on what you guys mean, why not them included, but hey, win some, lose some, also, I was probably expecting a Xena reference, but this is ANN, so yeah, lol.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I never thought of May/Mei as a badass, but it's understandable that FMA is a lot more popular than other choices like Urutorii from Utaware, Tabitha from Zero no Tsukaima, Feena from Brighter Blue, Vivi from One Piece, or Arika from Negima.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I also miss Arcuied from Tsukihime, who is one of the most badass princesses out there Wink
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Leina?

Not the infinitely more interesting, infinitely more badass and just all around fantastic Annalotte from Queen's Blade Rebellion?
kamui85

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
just from reading the tittle i expected for mononoke to be #1...
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I keep thinking there was someone obvious missing from this list but I guess Amelia from the Slayers doesn't rate on the badass warrior princess scale.

She'd be on my list. She was actually the first character I thought of! She might start out silly (no sillier than Lina or Gourry though), but the girl is badass enough to cast the most powerful spell in shamanism at like fourteen AND she invents her own like a boss.

I do find it unfortunate that the list was limited to 'warriors' in a physical sense. There's a lot more to being badass than being a physical fighter, and some of the toughest princesses in anime never pick up a weapon.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting to find Murder Princess included on this list when I saw the title, but I guess the fact that it's just someone else in a princess's body doesn't quite count.

Megiddo wrote:
I never thought of May/Mei as a badass, but it's understandable that FMA is a lot more popular than other choices like Urutorii from Utaware, Tabitha from Zero no Tsukaima, Feena from Brighter Blue, Vivi from One Piece, or Arika from Negima.

I'd have to vote for Vivi too. She infiltrated a criminal organization and rose to the 8th spot (albeit with a partner) in the hierarchy.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Last week's poll was a lot closer than I would have expected on ANN.

The new poll is missing the only correct answer: Mid teens and a total lack of experience is what the best mecha pilots are made of.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stararnold

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Slayers' Naga and and the 1979 Galaxy Express 999 movie's Emeraldas didn't make the list. What a shame! Sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I was expecting to find Murder Princess included on this list when I saw the title, but I guess the fact that it's just someone else in a princess's body doesn't quite count.

Megiddo wrote:

I'd have to vote for Vivi too. She infiltrated a criminal organization and rose to the 8th spot (albeit with a partner) in the hierarchy.

I'd take Lafiel from Crest/Banner of the Stars over Vivi, easily. In fact, over several people that are on the list. But I don't think it's a bad list overall. I don't have a problem with #1, either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3