• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Samurai Flamenco (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote

Samurai Flamenco

Genres: Action
Plot Summary: Masayoshi Hazama has decided to become the superhero Samurai Flamenco in spite of having no special abilities or modifications. Hidenori Goto is a police officer who learns his secret identity by chance, which causes him all sorts of trouble.

Episode 1
Weird episode so far. The OST is kinda comedic.

The superhero costume designs looks okay I guess. The bro moments were pretty nice to watch though. Reminds me a little of Tiger & Bunny. Artwork is okay I guess. The poses is kinda silly though and whoa, he is getting owned.

I liked his little inspirational speech though. Not entirely sold on this yet but not bad for a start imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:35 pm Reply with quote
The beginning of an epic, and very strange, friendship.

I will be sure to catch next weeks adventure of the Superhero Samurai Flamenco and his buddy cop.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I love it so far! Instead of the usual superhero clichéspoiler[ of the guy who is pathetic by day but a cool superhero by night, here it's the other way around. I quite liked the speech he gave those 'teenage deliquents', though.Laughing] Extra bonus points for the main characters being adults.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I was mostly bored by this opener. Humour so far is very low key. I'm assuming a real story is going to kick in at some point. Looking forward to that.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:00 am Reply with quote
So far I like what I'm seeing. The show has a good, goofy sense of humor. Hazama is downright delusional but you also can't help but like his enthusiasm and child-like sincerity. And Goto plays the straight man decently enough. The music is catchy too. I look forward to seeing more.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:36 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I love it so far! Instead of the usual superhero clichéspoiler[ of the guy who is pathetic by day but a cool superhero by night, here it's the other way around. I quite liked the speech he gave those 'teenage deliquents', though.Laughing] Extra bonus points for the main characters being adults.

Completely agreed. Smile

I like both characters already, and yes, those bro moments were nice. I enjoy the characters designs. (Nice to see some decently shaped noses.) Emotionally, there's room for everything here, I think, humor and silliness, but also heartbreak and tragedy. I'm looking forward to the next episode quite a bit.
Knoepfchen

unintentional double posting, sorry

Last edited by Knoepfchen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

Episode 1

Why would it try to be a deeper anime about possible heroes in real life and then have that totally shallow ED?

Personally the episode bored me, but it reminds me of one of the shows that totally puts me to sleep that others seems to love because it is apparently so deep and shows a couple guys hanging out.

So when does Hit Girl appear? Because I am not quite digging what is happening so far.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 am Reply with quote
I like it. The thing that I liked the most about it was that spoiler[Hazama kind of sucks at being a superhero. His first actual superhero deed was stopping a drunk jaywalker who was smoking in a non-smoking zone who then beat him up Laughing] His speech and his poses were also hilarious.
Killaclown666

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
Promising first episode, im looking forward to more "superhero" absurdity. this may be my show this season but i still have more to try including blazblue which i have high hopes for.

im curious wether the spoiler[kid that stayed behind for a bit when the others left will pop up again]
ZorgonXtreme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Nice crocs on the leader of the gang. Not surprised he's wearing them.

I like the show, it has a boatload of potential to be a really killer character-driven show.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:00 am Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what I was expecting out of this show, but it certainly wasn't this. But I'm not sure if that's a bad thing. 'Real' super-heroes are an interesting real world trend and it looks like this show isn't going to suddenly pull a 180 into sci-fi or action. So I'm curious where it's going to go next.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:30 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
'Real' super-heroes are an interesting real world trend

Any news stories you can link to about this trend? I've wondered a bit about the sudden upsurge in superhero shows the past couple of years. It could just be the usual trend-following after the success of Tiger & Bunny that motivates a lot of anime production decisions. If this trend in anime reflects some events in real society, I'd like to see it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:00 am Reply with quote
Well I dont know about any real life events however it is interesting to note that 3 live action movies dealing with theme of real life superhero appeared in a same year.Not to mention that there has been an increase of superhero movies that are usually darker and more realistic,this trend can most likely be explained that people feel gigantic disconnect between their reality and movie,these grim and dark movies offer them realism acting as a bridge to escapism.
Perhaps the anime producers are testing the Hollywood formula,I mean I cant believe that something like Gatchaman Crowds was created due to the popularity of Tigger and Bunny,since barring mecha designs it has no similarities to it and it falls nicely within a category that I was speaking of.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 pm Reply with quote
As an introductory episode it did kinda suck.

So maybe the key to continuing is to take a look at that profile picture, notice that the people he was being filmed by on the street were in it... and that at this point those end credits ARE FROM A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT SHOW!

So, let's hope the show with the large cast promised by these things, will prove to be a better show than what we saw, and that eventually the ED with the three cuties eventually better suits it.

Because at this point, he's resembles most that really pathetic early diary holder from Future Diary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 28