• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dog & Scissors Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I've got to agree with just about everything Carl says - though I think the series would've been better had it been one episode shorter. Whatever deal they made with the devil to make the rest so damn fun clearly didn't carry over to the final episode.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why I watched this. I don't even know if I enjoyed it.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this series a lot, really good fun. Not sure how it being illogical is a negative. Wouldn't call it a mess nor say it has a bad script either. Not that I noticed anyway.

Sadly I don;t think we're going to get a second season as I don't believe the LNs got a considerable boost (might have off of chart ranking) and the BRs kinda bombed. Irritating because there is a lot more to uncover and see.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
This series... it was a thing I watched every week, I'll say that.

How bad does a series have to be to warrant a less-than-average grade, out of interest? I know the scores are intended to be read with the review as context, but with "terrible in every way" as the assessment, I can't help but think B- seems a little high.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a "guilty pleasure" anime, although not always that pleasurable. Like eating stale potato chips. After the first episode I had high hopes for an interesting plot, but they were dashed fairly quickly.

I stayed for the dog. Best anime dog since Ein.

Natsuno's VA is Armin in AoT. Laughing

Also, what is with all the scissor-wielding girls recently? This show, Gatchaman Crowds, and now Kill La Kill.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:26 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
Also, what is with all the scissor-wielding girls recently? This show, Gatchaman Crowds, and now Kill La Kill.

You're forgetting Mysterious Girlfriend X.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't know why I watched this. I don't even know if I enjoyed it.

I know why I started, I wanted some sadistic Marina Inoue. Wasn't sure if it was worth the effort. Oh well, it's that type of forgettable show that you won't even remember in a few months.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
<---- This. I pretty much spent every episode and the entire series doing this.

B- seems kind. If they had even a shred of a decent plot then it would be somewhat justifiable for me, but as it was... Random hijinks does not a series make.
pws_37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 pm Reply with quote
This review is pretty accurate. The chorus line of men in black in the ED works, too. Not sure why I watch it (ongoing on Hulu), but I do enjoy the intro. The show really makes no sense, and I don't care.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
Totally agree with the review. This show hysterically laughs in the face of other traditionally bad series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
I somehow managed to finish this show but had many face palm moments. Surprisingly enough though, the first episode kept me entertained quite a bit but fell apart later on after that. That poor dog ;.;
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Quote:
That poor dog

But it is not a dog, or more accurately it is not just a dog. Look at it this way, if Harumi had not been in the dog Natsuno would not have had anything to do with it. After she adopted Harumi/dog almost all of the abuse was precipitated by Harumi mouthing off, in her head.

If it had been an ordinary dog, it would have stayed at the pet shop and been adopted by a normal family and had a fine life. That is until the three year old tried to ride it an broke its back. It was probably better off with Natsuno, abuse and everything.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I myself haven't watched this show, but I know a friend of mine who has, putting aside the fact that I think his taste in anime for the most part sucks (which in all honestly is kind of similar to my own when I was first getting into it, sort of...) I really had a hard time figuring out why the he liked it considering how obviously, and I mean OBVIOUSLY stupid it is. Thanks to this review however I think I got it, as I Know I definitely like comedic series where you can't tell where it's going. I think I'll skip this overall but I did enjoy this review in helping me get some clarity.
Crushermach3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
This article in a nutshell:
Put it in the "so bad it's good" category.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1