• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - When Titans Attack

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
"The characters also do too much overreacting early on: eyes wide, mouths screaming, freaking out at every little thing. It's almost like trying to force readers into being horrified, when in fact, the best path to horror is to simply present scary images as they are."

To be honest if I was in that situation, I would be freaking out too. I didn't feel like he was trying to force readers into being horrified and I never got that impression that he was.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The way the series is paced, it flows so casually from scene to scene that there's no triumphant, heart-stopping moment where you can say, "THAT'S the point where Togawa finally got it." Takahashi's storyline suffers a similar problem; his reunion with Mom and Dad happens so quietly that the importance of their meeting doesn't come across.

I've always considered this one of the strong points of of REAL (or any good series which strives for realism) that it doesn't hit you over the head with the giant NOW YOU'RE SUPPOSED GET EMOTIONAL!!! hammer...i think it fits the series just right, let's leave the triumphant, heart-stopping moments to AoT where they are much more appropriate.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Takahashi- the brash highschooler who's been rehabilitating his broken leg-

Takahashi is in rehabilitation after becoming paralyzed from the chest down in an accident.

I love Real, but I feel its weakness is how its main story lines and characters rarely converge; Takahashi's plot could be a manga all its own, with Togawa and Nomiya in a different book. But Real captures the struggle of dealing with disability so well-with Takahashi represents the start of that journey and the raw emotion and strength that entails- that its a minor quibble that I'd wish he'd interact with Nomiya (or perhaps Togawa) once in a while.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children looks amazing. I haven't read the original novel and I wonder how much character interaction just didn't translate to the manga.

OTOH, I've bought most of the AoT manga volumes, but I haven't really read the chapters that were covered in the anime because I don't think it'll add anything to the story (besides rougher art).

Uzumaki- I'm not a horror fan, but creepy stories can be a lot of fun.
k-9-kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:49 am Reply with quote
Just discovered this piece of gem and will visit more consistently.One thing I would like to know is why One piece is not reviewed?I'm not saying it is so good that it should be but it would be appreciated...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1