• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Poop on a Platter

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I always just assumed 4Kids abandoned One Piece. It never brought in big numbers, and near the tail end it was only shown on Toonami around 10:30pm on Saturdays or something. Factor in how much it must have been costing them to do all the edits (e.g., redrawing Nami's cleavage in practically every scene in the Alabasta arc), and it makes perfect sense that they'd give up the franchise.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I hear a lot around the internet this "Toei yanked One Piece out of 4Kids hands because of what they were doing to their baby" claim. I really, really need to see proof of that, because it makes no sense! Toei has a history of liking money, and doing anything to get their hands on their money (only natural, since they're this huge entertainment giant that they've always been for decades). I doubt they'd care if 4Kids renamed everyone in the show Mary and Bob, as long as that was profitable. Both parties probably gave up on that because it wasn't being profitable for either.

Stop romanticizing Toei, people!
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Didn't that one guy from 4Kids who came on ANNCast a couple of years back (first one I watched actually) say 4Kids gave up One Piece as soon as the initial rights expired because it wasn't worth it?

Remembering that dub does bring up some interesting memories though. It did get me started on the manga (which later got me looking out for any obvious edits made as I watched it) though I'll always wonder what could have been if the series was in better hands from the get go
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The problem with 4Kids' version of One Piece wasn't so much the censorship, but rather the changes that were made for seemingly no reason at all. Sometimes it seemed like they just needed to meet a certain quota of digital editing, which resulted in strange things like characters being entirely removed or replaced in some scenes. Not to mention that they cut out nearly 30 episodes worth of content, including removing the very important Laboon story line, as well as the entire Little Garden arc. There was simply no justification for any of that. If 4Kids had simply edited everything they absolutely needed to in order to make the series work on broadcast television, it probably wouldn't carry the "worst dub ever" stigma that it currently has.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Would the 'giant turd' by any chance happen to be the live-action Hollywood remake of Fist of the North Star? Razz

It fits the profile at least...
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Would the 'giant turd' by any chance happen to be the live-action Hollywood remake of Fist of the North Star? Razz

Rhymes with Ragonrall Revolution
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
And so, most Japanese DVDs and Blu-rays remain un-subtitled, and therefore useless to the vast majority of us who don't speak Japanese fluently.

You will be surprised as to how many people, who probably do not understand Japanese, regularly import Japanese BD's. I have imported a few, but only if they are at least subtitled. Otherwise, it is a waste of money to import un-subtitled BD's, especially if they are licensed by a R1 distributor.

EDIT: I did import the un-subtitled and un-dubbed BD release of the original 1974 Space Battleship Yamato because I doubt it will ever be released over here, and I am not interested in owning the Star Blazers DVD's to serve as a substitute.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
4Kids was trying to turn one show into another, and unlike Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!, fit it into a different demographic than even Japan. 4Kids, I think, got the show in a package deal with other shows (Magical DoReMi, another Toei show, was probably included too). They knew it was a hit in Japan, so why not bring it over here? I think they overlooked exactly what it was they were getting their hands on. It would have only gotten worse, and their many story changes would have left even more plot holes than it already did.

They did seem to do random editing though. They would airbrush ENGLISH writing off of signs and buildings and censor anything resembling a cross, religious or not (this included medical crosses, Mihawk's sword, and Nami's weapon). They also changed Miss MerryChristmas into Miss Groundhog's Day and censored her Xmas Tree tie (as well as her boob lines, despite no cleavage of any kind shown). Both edits are directly contrary to Pokemon where they DID leave in crosses (they even used the word), and let the characters celebrate Christmas.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Rhymes with Ragonrall Revolution

Hint 2: It's the movie featured in the thumbnail for this article on the main page.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Both edits are directly contrary to Pokemon where they DID leave in crosses (they even used the word), and let the characters celebrate Christmas.

They also left in garlic, stakes and hammers. Wink
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
I hear a lot around the internet this "Toei yanked One Piece out of 4Kids hands because of what they were doing to their baby" claim. I really, really need to see proof of that, because it makes no sense! Toei has a history of liking money, and doing anything to get their hands on their money (only natural, since they're this huge entertainment giant that they've always been for decades). I doubt they'd care if 4Kids renamed everyone in the show Mary and Bob, as long as that was profitable. Both parties probably gave up on that because it wasn't being profitable for either.

Stop romanticizing Toei, people!
Indeed, you have to wonder where this supposed sense of outrage was when DBZ and Sailor Moon were being heavily edited on the way to massive TV exposure that created many fans of those shows and anime in general.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Indeed, you have to wonder where this supposed sense of outrage was when DBZ and Sailor Moon were being heavily edited on the way to massive TV exposure that created many fans of those shows and anime in general.

People were just blossoming into anime fans during the original airing of those two shows in the 90s and probably weren't familiar with the source material in the first place. By the time the butchered One Piece was a thing on TV, those same folks had already started up on manga reading and obviously knew better.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
Subtitles made for streaming often don't follow the strict rules that Blu-ray subtitles have to follow.

Are we talking about technical issues? Content? Peculiar customs of the video production industry that outsiders have no chance of guessing at? Please expound!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there's a canonical list of Japanese-released Blu-rays that *do* have subtitles? I know all the Ghibli DVDs do/did (and sometimes dub tracks too, IIRC!), and I presume their Blu-ray releases do too but I haven't looked specifically. Occasionally when I'm browsing Amazon Japan I'll check for subs in the technical details, but it would be great to have a relatively up-to-date list.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
Answerman wrote:
Subtitles made for streaming often don't follow the strict rules that Blu-ray subtitles have to follow.

Are we talking about technical issues? Content? Peculiar customs of the video production industry that outsiders have no chance of guessing at? Please expound!

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-08-16
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7