• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Trials of the Soul

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brimfyre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I hate gaming negative Nancies.

When was the last original Persona game released Persona 4 for PS2? One fighting game on next gen consoles, and on handhelds, only ports.

So they announce two spin off titles, and then the next game in the franchise, and all of a sudden they are like Final Fantasy? Give me a break.

Having Q and the Dance game, which seem incredibly light hearted in tone is clearly a pre-reaction to what is already looking to be the darkest Persona ever with Persona 5, and the comments he made today.

Add that to the fact that next year is Atlus's 25th anniversary and they are planning to have a bunch of titles from all their franchises released as part of the celebration.

You are just looking to complain about something.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote
mouseover wrote:
Oh shit, it's the end of Haibane Renmei

Now I can totally see a Haibane Renmei video game.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I bought the Phoenix Wright DLC, and it has more animated cutscenes than the usual case, and is fairly long, so its not that bad of a deal considering the nature of DLC and microtransactions. It also doesn't interfere with the game since there are already 5 cases in the base game, and is the usual Phoenix Wright length.

Microtransactions become a problem when developer/publisher intentionally makes the game worse so a person will feel compelled to use microtransactions. For example turning a game into a grind and then offering better armor, or boosts to make the grind quicker.
Dimlos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Persona Q will likely be amazing just based solely on the fact that it looks like Etrian Odyssey with a Persona skin. Unfortunately, the music seems to be more like modern Persona rather than EO. As for the dancing game, I'm not into rhythm games, but I sure hope Persona 5's graphics look like that.

Can't say I'm particularly interested in the new Deception, either. I loved the first game's cheesiness, but the games that came after that couldn't really match it. I can't really remember if the gameplay improved much, but the first one was absurdly clunky, so I guess it wouldn't really take much.
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Thumbs up for the Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers mention. Very Happy I was almost 100% convinced it would get passed over in X Button, and I'm glad it wasn't. Although, you did forge to mention that the PSN version comes packaged with the free Aries Shion DLC, which fans previously thought would only be available to those who pre-ordered the physical game in the countries getting a physical copy, as well as 3 other DLCs upon release (though admittedly, they're all alternate character costumes). Still. Very Happy

Also...moogle suit. Pfffft. ::chokes on laughter::
Dmysta3000

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
That Moogle suit is truly glorious, I gotta say. Laughing (I'm actually kinda hoping that XIV gets that in some form)

Also I agree that Atlus was kinda whoring out P4 this gen a little too much, and I'm a little worried that the same will happen to P5 next gen. Then again, that's probably just me worrying too much. That said, seriously hyped for P5!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Dimlos wrote:
Persona Q will likely be amazing just based solely on the fact that it looks like Etrian Odyssey with a Persona skin. Unfortunately, the music seems to be more like modern Persona rather than EO.

That's strange, you seem to be implying that Modern Persona music is bad when it's some of the best music in any modern game series EVER.
EternalKnight001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Extremely excited about ALL of the Persona announcements (yes, even the dancing/music game; cmon, P3/P4/P whatevers awesome music combined with a Miku like dancing game? What's not to love?). ESPECIALLY P5 though. So hyped to hear more about it.

Just waiting for the day a Persona visual novel/dating sim is announced though. Seems like a natural evolution for the series, and something thats definitely up my alley....

Well. Sports fans can always hope for a Persona Tennis or Persona All Stars game, right Razz *smirks*
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Returns: I saw that screenshot yesterday on RPGFan. Seriously, what the...f?

Persona Announcements: Seriously, they're unnecessarily milking Persona 4 here. Can't we just move on to 5 already, Atlus? I hope they don't turn into spinoff fiends like Square Enix has been doing to FF.

The Mysterious Cities of Gold:

Quote:
It all makes Secret Doors an attraction for young fans, and young fans alone.

Paths. You literally got it wrong every time in your paragraph by replacing paths with doors. X3

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Nah man, Persona 5 will be about chairs fighting to find their true selves
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
That moogle suit is horrifying.

As has become customary, the 2nd Gran Turismo game on a platform looks to be the complete experience built on the back of the first one. I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a video game. Probably won't be this excited again until The Last Guardian finally (hopefully) comes out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Nah man, Persona 5 will be about chairs fighting to find their true selves

Murder, She wrote:

You may remember that some people complained about the sexy win post Lightning assumes while wearing her sorceress outfit. Earlier this month, producer Yoshinori Kitase revealed that said victory pose was “revised,” presumably into something more consistent with Lightning's character.

As also been mentioned in the gaming sites:

"Finding the heroine’s panties: The most difficult side quest in newest Final Fantasy role-playing game"

• Another new feature is the ability to manipulate the camera during cut scenes, those times when the player isn’t directly controlling the characters on screen. It’s likely this was added as a concession to gamers who for years have been grumbling about not having anything to do during these frequent scenes in which Final Fantasy’s characters chat, debate, and otherwise advance the plot.

But while the development team is indeed giving gamers a Lightning with a more bountiful bosom, that doesn’t mean it’s willing to let them peek at her undies.

Fans may be excited about changing Lightning’s costume and playing with the camera angle during cut scenes, but the combined effect of these two capabilities created a new headache for the developers, particularly Cut Scene Animation Director Yusuke Tanaka and Cut Scene Layout Director Hidekazu Miyake.

With Lightning Returns, however, the huge number of available costumes made things much harder. Tanaka says that it took the most time to correct panty flashes on the cat girl costume, for which Lightning needs to slip into a miniskirt because…

Tanaka explains that the problem of the female characters’ underwear being visible has popped up throughout the Final Fantasy franchise, but Miyake claims that it was more pronounced than ever in Lightning Returns. “This time, it wasn’t like, ‘Oh, you can catch a little peek.’ You could see everything,” he explains.

Part of the problem stemmed from the fact that Lightning’s standard costume in the new game has chap-like cloths that cover her legs and prevent the player from getting an eyeful of her undergarments. As such, Tanaka and Miyake didn’t initially give much thought to how some of the cool poses they’d though up for Lighnting to strike would look after the player switched to a shorter hemline and a lower camera angle.

As a result, Tanaka and Miyake had to go back and adjust the way Lightning moves and even the physics calculations in some scenes. Despite their efforts, though, Miyake admits that with the player getting control of the camera, they can’t guarantee they caught everything.

“There may be a few oportunities that slipped by,” Tanaka agrees. But with Lightning Returns about to hit store shelves, there’s nothing more he can do. “If that’s the case, well, then I guess that’s just going to have to be something for the player to uncover and enjoy.”
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
especially when it's still in high school.

Sigh, why do people complain about Persona being in high school so much? Thats the point of the series... its always been high school except for the one sequel game. You'd think people would be okay with one JRPG series out there being set in high school (its not like anime where its 75% high school) but why do people still feel so entitled to complain about it? Its like going into say... a game series about the Wild West, and then complaining about the new game being set in the Wild West. THATS THE POINT.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't really get why people are complaining about the dlc in Dual Destinies. Every game has had 4 to 5 cases on it. This game, without the dlc, had 5 cases and was longer than any Ace Attorney game I've played. Plus, it was 5 cases for 30 bucks. 30 divided by 5 is 6--that's why the dlc price is 6 dollars. And as someone that bought the case the day it came out, I can say it was worth it. It's also the only dlc I've ever bought, because it was the only one where I agreed 100% with the way the company was releasing it. Looks like people are just hating on the dlc because Capcom plus a knee-jerk reaction to any dlc announcements. Which is understandable, but still not fair to dlc like this.

As for the Persona games, even if I don't get the Vita one, my wallet will hate me next year. There are so many good games coming out!
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I paid 6 bucks for the Ace Attorney DLC and got a 7 hour case out of it. Thats far better bang for your buck then 99% of DLC out there, so I'm more than happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3