• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Accel World Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Interesting review though I'm curious why the dub has a lower score than the dub if you said you didn't have any issues with it (enjoyed it a lot myself and it's one of the better dubs from BZ in a while) Also disagree a bit with your assesment of Kuroyukihime. I find her to be a pretty interesting character and I'm curious to learn more about her backstory (s2 please Sunrise). I can agree that the show can sometimes be a bit too talky though.

Really enjoyed the show though. Still don't really get why SAO the more popular of the authors works however. This show is better written in almost every way.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I enjoyed Accel World more than SAO, so I'm sad that it got less attention.

I also liked the second half of the show, so I hope you review volume 2.
Miniicy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Hurts me to see this mediocre show get such a high score, the concept was neat, but the characters plain annoying/uninteresting at many occasions.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was actually a really interesting review. It seemed almost like an English class essay, but that's exactly the way I like it, since I am taking an English class about comic books right now and had to write something similar.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz has done a remarkable job in matching sub voices for the dub, with very little difference in cadence or register between the English and Japanese tracks.
Which offers an explanation for the failing of the dub, namely why it felt so stilted: Bang/Zoom again cast by vocal similarity to the sub instead of by acting chops and emphasized how lines sounded "in a vacuum" instead of focusing on having the actors create the illusion that their characters are talking to one another.

Maybe they should let Vic or one of the other TX transplants get into the director's chair for their next dubs? I'm astounded here as I previously defended Kristi Reed as the superior Bang/Zoom director and yet here she is, in command of the metaphorical ship as it rams full-speed into the same iceberg that all the other Bang/Zoom directors have crashed into over the years. You'd think they'd learn to avoid it by now.

Protip: Just because a character may be looking at the screen does not mean that his lines should be treated as though they're addressed to the people on the "real world" side of the screen.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Kuroyukihime speeches tend to be long winded but IMO are never a bad thing. It's part of what makes her one of the only female characters from a Light Novel source I've ever liked to a significant extent.

malvarez1 wrote:
Yeah, I enjoyed Accel World more than SAO, so I'm sad that it got less attention.

I also liked the second half of the show, so I hope you review volume 2.

I find you people on occasion. SAO was a pacing fun fancy, but Accel World actually opened my mind to the possibility that you can have a story based on an LN turned into an anime that can really hook you.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

I find you people on occasion. SAO was a pacing fun fancy, but Accel World actually opened my mind to the possibility that you can have a story based on an LN turned into an anime that can really hook you.

[insert Kyoukaisen reference here]
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

It took me till midway through season 1 to get me intrigued and until season 2 to really get me hooked on Horizon, but now I definitely want more. Accel World had me intrigued right off the bat and totally hooked by episode 4. When recommending Horizon to people I often have to do it with the warning that episodes 1-3 are going to feel like an absolute slog to get through and not to judge the show by them as one normally would with a 3 episode test because it's mostly prologue and looking back those episode really do feel out of place with the tone and energy of the rest of the show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
Interesting review though I'm curious why the dub has a lower score than the dub if you said you didn't have any issues with it (enjoyed it a lot myself and it's one of the better dubs from BZ in a while)

It was the way Haru got so shrill in the dub at times that it really grated on me, no matter how much I enjoyed the English voices, so that's why I downgraded it a bit.

jojothepunisher wrote:
Wow, that was actually a really interesting review. It seemed almost like an English class essay

Ha ha, thank you! Probably it's because I'm an English professor...though I didn't quite realize I'd gone full lit essay mode on this one. I usually try to avoid doing that. Laughing
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:

[insert Baccano!, Durarara!!, and Guin Saga references here]

Really, people, light novels are a medium like any other. A lot of them are bad, but that's just Sturgeon's Law (also, they very closely follow otaku sensibilities, which many American viewers are disinclined to share). Some of them are really good, and people need to stop dismissing LN adaptations before watching them, or using "It's from a LN, what do you expect?" as a justification for when they stink.
DjGreekhunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Well very very nice review and job with some blind spots i didn't personally liked! Despite of them it's a very good work! I would say a big breath after the "stupid" post i read in 2 sites from a minor majority that released dvd/bd of AW by viz has nothing to do with the studios sunrise sales. (buying rights it's profit for the studio + a small percentage from the sales)
Great work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Fat kid gets made fun of for being fat. Does nothing to get in shape, just runs away to his virtual world to play.... racquetball! Then he becomes a hero because of magic video game powers.

Stopped after episode 2 due to the vomit covering my screen.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Some of them are really good, and people need to stop dismissing LN adaptations before watching them, or using "It's from a LN, what do you expect?" as a justification for when they stink.

And after the full experience of watching a partial adaptation of a disposable medium sold on titles and key images sets in, then you can dismiss them.

Like Accel World but I do give it credit for having a set up - it just didn't do anything with it. More Legend of Legendary Heroes than Kampfer which is good? But I'm sure the book series eventually had to go somewhere, just nowhere substantial.

And the series addresses the idea of technology addiction but then says "that's life" and promptly gives the worst offenders real life powers based off of how addicted/immersed they are in it. There's missed opportunities and then there's completely missing the point. And when it's your own point that you bring up in your own story...
jkphantom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I really hope this series airs on Toonami, because' I just want SAO to just hurry and finish up already!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
jkphantom wrote:

I really hope this series airs on Toonami, because' I just want SAO to just hurry and finish up already!

They'd probably replay SAO. Needs moar gilded cage Asunaxploitation. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3