• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Utawarerumono DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:56 am Reply with quote
Finally! A review of something I've already seen so I don't have to play catch-up. Smile

I agree with Key on the point that I have truly been entertained by this show so far. Most all of the characters are very likeable(to me, at least) and the story,so far, is keeping me interested. I can't help but get the feeling that there is something ominous coming. Like Hakuoro's memory coming back and,well...

Definitely something to look forward to. Great review Key!
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:11 am Reply with quote
Someone, please tell me "Camus" is not ADV's real name for "Kamyu". That's just wrong in so many ways. I'm not usually one to complain about character name translations, but this is just unforgiveable.

Besides the fact that "Camus" is simply a random and completely unnecessary translation, the origin for Kamyu's name is hinted at in the game. For the Onkami Yamukai BGM track, the kanji "神結" is given with the pronunciation "Kami Yuu". Given the resemblance of this to Kamyu's name, and considering the meaning of the kanji and how it relates to Kamyu's story, it is clear that this is a reference to her name. I'd like to see A(hou)DV's explanation for their translation. (I'd also like to know why they seem to change Rs to Ls in other characters' names on a whim.)

I pray this is a mistake on the reviewer's side.
LuScr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:54 am Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:
Someone, please tell me "Camus" is not ADV's real name for "Kamyu". That's just wrong in so many ways. I'm not usually one to complain about character name translations, but this is just unforgiveable.

Besides the fact that "Camus" is simply a random and completely unnecessary translation, the origin for Kamyu's name is hinted at in the game. For the Onkami Yamukai BGM track, the kanji "神結" is given with the pronunciation "Kami Yuu". Given the resemblance of this to Kamyu's name, and considering the meaning of the kanji and how it relates to Kamyu's story, it is clear that this is a reference to her name. I'd like to see A(hou)DV's explanation for their translation. (I'd also like to know why they seem to change Rs to Ls in other characters' names on a whim.)

I pray this is a mistake on the reviewer's side.

It's not a reviewer's mistake--her name is indeed shown as "Camus" in the subs and credits.

It's still pronounced "Kamyu" in the dub, though, which makes ADV's decision to change it even more bewildering.
Adept_Rogue_Saiki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
Damn you ADV. Why did you have to change Kamyu's name to such a stupid and random thing? Twisted Evil
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:59 am Reply with quote
LuScr wrote:
It's not a reviewer's mistake--her name is indeed shown as "Camus" in the subs and credits.

It's still pronounced "Kamyu" in the dub, though, which makes ADV's decision to change it even more bewildering.

Thank you for confirming that for me. Anime smile I wish I could say I'm surprised. But I am glad that they at least still pronounce it "Kamyu".
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Hakuoro's personality isn't going to see any major shifts any time soon, unfortunately. When you start off with a fairly blank protagonist in a video game, he's going to stay that way in an anime adaption unless you take the time to give his character an overhaul, something they obviously decided to ditch in favor of channeling their budget into the CG battles.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:06 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Finally! A review of something I've already seen so I don't have to play catch-up. Smile

I agree with Key on the point that I have truly been entertained by this show so far. Most all of the characters are very likeable(to me, at least) and the story,so far, is keeping me interested. I can't help but get the feeling that there is something ominous coming. Like Hakuoro's memory coming back and,well...

Definitely something to look forward to. Great review Key!

Unlike you, I haven't seen this volume yet. I did buy it a few weeks ago though, having enjoyed the first volume. This series is nothing spectacular, but as Key said, it sure does entertain. After reading this review, I look forward to finally giving the second volume a watch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
for such a high grade, the review sounds extremely negative. in any case, i figured some opinions would change once it got in to the second volume. even though the plot was kind of lacking, this was a fun series to watch.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:08 pm Reply with quote
It's been about a month since I watched this volume, but I do remember being rather entertained by it. It still a tad hard for me to imagine this as a erogame, but the series continues to feel like a RTS/TBS type game at this point. The little minidrama on the first DVD was very funny and reminded me of the extra comics found in Ryvius and Planetes. The extra question session on DVD 2 was less memorable.

I also love ADV's packaging with the reflective text on the cover, and the well made booklet inserted inside. The DVD stamp is also well laid out combining the DVDs natural reflective nature with nice abstract artwork and a great color scheme. I also like the reflective cover on Coyote Ragtime Show, but was disappointed in the lack of booklet and the inserts in Nerima (just got the last volume) and Kurau are a bit better but still feel more like inserts than proper booklets. ADV is putting the extra effort in this series and the only other show that seems to be getting this treatment in packaging is the excellent Le Chevalier D'Eon. Overall ADV has a much better line up compared to 2006.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
It's been about a month since I watched this volume, but I do remember being rather entertained by it. It still a tad hard for me to imagine this as a erogame, but the series continues to feel like a RTS/TBS type game at this point.

it is an RTS, it just had ero scenes.
E_Shift

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
It's been about a month since I watched this volume, but I do remember being rather entertained by it. It still a tad hard for me to imagine this as a erogame, but the series continues to feel like a RTS/TBS type game at this point.

it is an RTS, it just had ero scenes.

I had the game on my computer for about two days. only because it wasn't translated... it looked intresting though
As for the show itself it look amazing and i want the rest of it NOW!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Not a bad review. Yeah you got to love that CG running around in it. I felt like I was watching a really bad 'Disney' flick. Y'know the one with the obvious CG animation in that moves really, really bad?

I like CG as much as the next person but not when it's used so obviously. Again I'm old fashioned and like things done the traditional way.

Really enjoying this series. Didn't know ADV was packing that many eps. into one disc. And it covers 10. What a way to end it when the mistress of POWER appears!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Yeah, could have expected odd name translations. But hey what are you gonna do? They should have spelled it the way it would most work and be done with it.

I've watched up to 10 and I'm really into it. I think I was interested in the show when it was being aired. But never got around to it. There's just this feel to it that's very reminiscent of games I used to play. Say, 'Breath of Fire'. Considering that this series is based on a popular PC game. So I'm definitely considering this series for my collection. I'd be a fool not to. Love the OP too.

Here's something you'll find interesting. The majority of the VAs for the anime were cast from the original game. Smile

Utawarerumono; the type is AVG+SLG(S-RPG) which stands for (adventure+simulation game (strategy-role playing game) as well as "eroge" or visual novel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1