• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Mmm, Crunchy!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote
On Crunchyroll last night when thy posted about Chernin group there was a HUGE response (mostly negative from what I read though I didn't go through all 17 pages of the thread). So long as they remain committed to anime, manga and k/Jdramas I'm fine with them branching out. I'd like it if they started dabbling in comics and animation from other countries. There's well over a hundred countries in the world and I'd like to explore what they have to offer.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Canadian film ratings. I have to admit, I didn't realize that they were quite so diverse (though Quebec having their own should surprise no one).

There is at least one benefit though, as the majority of movies rated R in the US are dropped down to AA (adult accompaniment) in theatres here.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I have a copy of Paprika that has an R rating on the back, but right next to it is the Canadian PG rating. Someone really dropped the ball there.

The theatrical release of Evangelion 2.2 also got a PG in Canada, and then the Trigun movie somehow got an R.

The Canadian raters are all over the place in how much attention they actually give to each product.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
On Crunchyroll last night when thy posted about Chernin group there was a HUGE response (mostly negative from what I read though I didn't go through all 17 pages of the thread).

From what I saw, most of them didn't even bother reading through the announcement since they didn't realize Crunchyroll's had outside investors since they went legit. Most of the negativity comes from people who think CR's going to double the subscription price and force even paid users to watch ads.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
I have a copy of Paprika that has an R rating on the back, but right next to it is the Canadian PG rating. Someone really dropped the ball there.

I wouldn't say so. "PG" does not mean the same thing in Canada that it does in the States. I don't find it anymore outrageous than an "R" rating for that film.

I find it kind of amusing how Sentai releases are virtually all rated "14A." I have a strong suspicion that they don't actually submit them to any board, and just keep reusing the same icon on their box art template.
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I find it kind of amusing how Sentai releases are virtually all rated "14A." I have a strong suspicion that they don't actually submit them to any board, and just keep reusing the same icon on their box art template.

Shigofumi and Hidamari Sketch used the PG rating if I remember correctly...though Shigofumi has child abuse and gore...
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Answerman for clearing up on Chermin group, yeah I didn't like the negative response when it was announced.

I like to add something to it

Answerman wrote:
In Asia, the company has a separate division (CA Media) that has invested in Legend Fighting Championship, the Indian branch of TV production powerhouse Endemol, and Indian music and events company Only Much Louder.

Wow didn't know that, so the haters should've done some research before spewing out the hate.

Quote:
but there are lots of other interesting pockets of media from around the world that could find a much wider audience if only there was a place to find them. Japanese dramas are too hard to license, but Chinese dramas seem like an obvious example. But what about Spanish-language telenovelas? Many European and South American countries also make some very good scripted television, all of which has no obvious way to an outside audience. Those could really benefit from having a new "unit" on Crunchyroll.

Well it does sound promising. I want to add that Dramafever does have plenty of Spanish telenovelas, that does include some from Spain like this one for example. About the Chinese dramas, yes I started to notice Taiwan has been exporting more of their dramas on Viki and Dramafever, I guess Taiwan is trying to replicate a wave like South Korea did. Yes both Chinese-language dramas and Korean dramas that Dramafever picked up are on Hulu.

About the J-dramas, yeah I agreed they're hard to license then Taiwanese dramas and K-dramas (which really frustrate me because J-dramas can help anime fans get to know Japan from a better perspective). It's much harder if it has a Johnny members in there. Johnny Entertainment don't play fair unlike SM, YG, JYP, Cube Entertainment, and (insert any Korean music agencies/labels). That's why J-dramas catalog on Crunchyroll, Dramafever, and Viki are smaller then their Chinese and Korean drama counterpart. But recently on CR, a topic brought up by CR admin ask CR users if they like J-dramas, I wonder if this indicate that CR is going to pick up more J-dramas and that topic was made to gauge the CR users to see what they think of J-dramas, if it is then Japan and "Cool Japan" is sort of going in the right direction. I wish Japan could allow more dramas to be viewed outside of Asia. I mean after K-drama got popular outside of Asia, Taiwan started to ride on the drama popularity heck one Taiwanese drama was broadcasted in Latin America due to K-dramas being popular in Latin America and that include our next door neighbor south of the border. Why doesn't Japan ride on the drama fad like Taiwan did?? Does Japan always over-value and over-price their dramas when going international??

Last edited by mdo7 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Huh, how much of Taiwan media expanding outward has to do with trying to reach out to an international audience in general, versus trying to reach out to the international Chinese population (be it expatriates, emigrants, or descendants of)? (cause there's a ton of Chinese people in the world, and I'm saying this as a son of immigrants from Taiwan myself)

...and, how much of it is out of a sense of desperation, as they are severely outgunned, financially and audience base-wise, compared to the mainland?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Huh, how much of Taiwan media expanding outward has to do with trying to reach out to an international audience in general, versus trying to reach out to the international Chinese population (be it expatriates, emigrants, or descendants of)? (cause there's a ton of Chinese people in the world, and I'm saying this as a son of immigrants from Taiwan myself)

...and, how much of it is out of a sense of desperation, as they are severely outgunned, financially and audience base-wise, compared to the mainland?

It's called "cashing in". When K-drama got popular outside of Asia, I found out Taiwan, Singapore, Mainland China, and even Hong Kong has started to subtitle their dramas for international fans (as in non-Asian fans). I've already mention a Taiwanese drama got dubbed in Spanish and broadcasted in Latin America, I mean Taiwan ride on the K-drama fad, why couldn't Japan do the same I mean anime fans may like J-dramas too just like how I like both anime and K-dramas (along with Taiwanese and Hong Kong dramas). Need I remind you that there are non-Asians that like these dramas from Asia. Dramafever audiences that watch K-drama, and Asian dramas majority of them are not Asian.

Last edited by mdo7 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHorsman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, Taiwan. Maybe proper versions of those puppet shows that have only shown up here in the States butchered or bootlegged? Seems like a good fit for CR...
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't see how Taiwanese dramas would have much appeal to non-Taiwanese people, especially with the existence of dramas from the mainland. Available budgets are so much lower as well as the talent, because top tier Taiwanese media talent might as well try to cross over to the mainland for the big bucks.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish you'd stop bringing in the j/k/t/c dramas in every single thread. I'll give a shit about how horrible Japan is once those countries start making anime. No wait, I won't. I get that it has some relevance at least to this article, but you never hesitate anywhere else.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
I honestly don't see how Taiwanese dramas would have much appeal to non-Taiwanese people, especially with the existence of dramas from the mainland. Available budgets are so much lower as well as the talent, because top tier Taiwanese media talent might as well try to cross over to the mainland for the big bucks.

Well Autumn's Concerto seem to appeal to non-Asian according to ratings and reviews on Dramafever and Hulu I can say the same for other Taiwanese dramas on DF and note that the people that review them are non-Asians. Taiwanese dramas can have the same appeal like K-dramas did to international audiences. I don't see why you think that Taiwanese dramas would not to appeal to non-Asian dramas, what you think all non-Asians are close-minded??

I don't want to go off topic over this, I just want to see more J-dramas on CR, Dramafever, and Viki because there are audiences that want to watch them.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wish you'd stop bringing in the j/k/t/c dramas in every single thread. I'll give a shit about how horrible Japan is once those countries start making anime. No wait, I won't. I get that it has some relevance at least to this article, but you never hesitate anywhere else.

You're not really open-minded to other culture (other then Japan) are you??
Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
No, you misread what I was saying. What I was saying was a slap against Taiwanese television implying that their quality is not up to a level appealing to people outside of its home audience who'd watch out of pride/having nothing else better to watch at the time.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
You're not really open-minded to other culture (other then Japan) are you??

What does being open-minded have to do with it? Almost every single post you make is all about K-this and K-that and why doesn't Japan do things the way Korea does. It has grown incredibly tiresome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4