• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Rhapsody in Pink

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the reviews, as always, Particularly FTNW.

I fell in love with the sometimes terrifying, sometimes sexy, always surreal and thought-provoking thrill-ride that From The New World's anime presented. The manga, on the other hand, felt like a shallow ripoff slogged in crappy fanservice and weak artwork. Crying or Very sad

Where are the source novels when you need a good, freaky sci-fi?
Julia-the-Great

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
I am baffled by that cover art for the From the New World manga. I saw that cover art and thought "Huh, that has the same name as that anime I watched. Weird." Then I read the description. "That... that can't possibly be the same thing, can it?!" I thought to myself. I just... I don't... what?

So, tell me, do they spend nearly as much time slogging through the Monster Rat storylines as they did in the anime? Very Happy
Dop.L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop also published the original "Welcome to the N.H.K." novel, and if you manage to find a copy of that it's well worth getting.
If anything it's significantly darker than either the manga or anime based on it.

I'm slightly bemused by the "From the New World" manga. I loved the anime series but that front cover puts me off the manga totally, even before I read Ashen Phoenix's comment.

"Yotsuba&!" is still consistently brilliant, how Azuma keeps coming up with this stuff after twelve volumes is genius.
Ignatz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:36 am Reply with quote
Oh god, the manga of From the New World...

Seriously, I can't believe how badly they ruined such a great story. Mad

Last edited by Ignatz on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Msag

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:39 am Reply with quote
Ah Yotsuba&! I wish it had an overarching plot too, but really when every new chapter delights in its whimsical way, it feels like "if it isn't broken, why change it", you know? But I do wonder how long the mangaka can go on like that...
Awesome review of Pink! Adding that to my must-read list now ^^
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
I am baffled by that cover art for the From the New World manga. I saw that cover art and thought "Huh, that has the same name as that anime I watched. Weird." Then I read the description. "That... that can't possibly be the same thing, can it?!" I thought to myself. I just... I don't... what?

This was my reaction too. The cover is absolutely baffling and does not remotely look like it is from the same franchise as the anime. It isn't even that well drawn. What the blimey were they thinking?

Ignatz wrote:

You got that right.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
specialty stores and used-book dealers still have plenty of copies in stock. Just don't blow all your money shopping online while you go looking for it.

sounds like someone has more than 1 option of where to buy manga. Online is all i have.

Fortunately i managed to sneak in all of welcome to the NHK last years.
Nayu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer the FTNW manga to the anime.

The anime was plodding, slow and felt like it was overly in love with itself. The manga moves far quicker, does not pull any punches about what the body of work really is and has amazing artwork. It doesn't fade to black in a weak attempt to avoid censorship. It's a very in your face look at the same material covered in the anime. And I loved it.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
Hehe, saw Yotsuba cover with all caps title, for a second I was expecting

"STOP EVERYTHING YOUR DOING, Yotsuba anime being announced!"
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
This was a really good volume of Toriko. It did a good job of blending all of the elements that make Toriko so much fun and spoiler[ also adds a new addition to Komatsu's (mostly) man-harem of people who love and adore him.] I read it during my break at work and it made my day so much better! Laughing

On a side note, I was actually surprised about FTNW manga. Like other people on the forum I thought it was something else too until I read the back. From what bits I saw of the anime it didn't seem so centered on fan service like the manga's front cover implies.

Vertical's Pink looks pretty interesting. I might need to check that out.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm really digging Pink's dark sense of humor. I want to check out a centaur's life, from the new world (if only because I enjoyed the anime), and Yotsuba&! sometime down the line as well. Though I'm not really into Toriko.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
That Pink manga looks pretty interesting. Definitely stands out among others. Early Christmas gift...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Yotsuba&!
Quote:
Are actual six-year-olds really this one-dimensional?
Some are, yes.
Quote:
Yotsuba&!'s limited range of emotion also constrains the series as a whole; it'll give you lots of warm fuzzies but not much else.
It's moe candy floss. If one is expecting much more than that, one is looking on the wrong shelf aisle. Laughing
toyNN

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Glad I wasn't the only one lost on the cover art for From the New World. Blatant eye-grabber I guess, kind of like those c-grade DVD movies were the best part is the cover. I get it...but for this title...really?
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I strongly disagree with you on Yotsuba's character, Carlo. Having grown up in a house with four other siblings, I can most certainly tell you that kids that age will get excited over anything. We used to flip out over mundane things like renting a video game for the weekend. That was a big deal to us!

I read a bit of From The New World a few days ago at a bookstore. Didn't care at all for it.

Reading this article also reminds me how inexcusably far behind I am with Yotsuba&!. (I think I stopped at volume 9?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2