• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Dork the Halls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:18 pm Reply with quote
That actully kinda fun listen live cast. I hope u do live cast again some time.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so are you saying male directors shouldn't write female characters because they can't relate to them? Why not?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Did Zac imply (at around the 24:50 mark of the podcast) that a potential second season of Attack on Titan is dependent on how well the Funimation sets sell? The Japanese otaku have spoken with their wallets and based on the 300,000 plus units sold in Japan so far, we will most likely see more Attack on Titan anime in the near future.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Should have named this one "Doak the Halls".

Mark Gosdin
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Wait, so are you saying male directors shouldn't write female characters because they can't relate to them? Why not?

No, but if the work is semi-autobiographical and it turned out like Wolf Children did, maybe he should've written the story from his own perspective as a child.

angelmcazares wrote:
Did Zac imply that a potential second season of Attack on Titan is dependent on how well the Funimation sets sell?

No that isn't what I was saying at all.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Summer Wars was great, but you know, there was this Digimon movie... <is_shot>,

I didn't know there was something before that movie though. And add from Prada?

I agree with Zac about Wolf Children. I really wanted it to be about the children, but it kind of dropped the ball on that. There was a lot of things they could have shown about growing up so different. And yes, I did not get the ending. I don't understand what that ending was supposed to mean. Anyone have any ideas?
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

I didn't know there was something before that movie though. And add from Prada?

Superflat monogram
Chocolate_Bar

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote
So once again...no opinions allowed and it seems you want to change what an opinion is on top of wanting to change the meaning of troll as well. Do you just have some weird hate boner towards anyone with a negative opinion towards it or do you really have no idea what you're talking about.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And yes, I did not get the ending. I don't understand what that ending was supposed to mean. Anyone have any ideas?

Because it was the end of the story about the children... being children?
Yuki moved left home to go to a dorm for a Boarding school and Ame became a local wolf nature guardian of sorts.

My perspective is that the entire movie is simply Yuki telling the story to a new friend or alternatively a new best friend that she could confide her own secret to.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
My perspective is that the entire movie is simply Yuki telling the story to a new friend or alternatively a new best friend that she could confide her own secret to.

Hey, that actually makes sense. Good thinking. I guess i can see the "children stop being children" angle, but to me, the movie just wasn't so much about the children.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:30 pm Reply with quote
As the one who asked the Steven Universe question, I should clarify that what I meant by anime-inspired music was the idea of having diverse track-based background music, which i find is generally the case with anime. The focus that gets placed on BGM in anime (normally as a way of compensating for limited animation, I suppose) is one area that I feel sets it apart from western animation significantly. To me it feels like Steven Universe put similar focus in that area, whereas most western animation is content to have a really limited track list or half-hearted scoring.

But yeah, the question wound up being presented in a bit of a strange way. I'll chalk that up to Twitter character limits.

Great idea doing the ANNcast as a live chat, Zac. I'd love to see that again in the future.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I do find it interesting that the changes to the Hobbit is perfectly fine with me, and I even liked the first movie (haven't seen the second yet) but with FMA 2003, the changes like Archernator and the whole Gate of Truth being spoiler[a dimensional portal] enrages me (I would definitely compare it to how Zac sees the Hobbit movies).

I will also say this I have never understood why FMA 2003 gets praised for its pacing. You have several episodes that do nothing but waste time like the episode that deals with that village getting the ridiculous disease that turns people to stone then later the series spends a whopping total of two minutes talking about the core motivation of the villain and how she became who she was especially being that this reveals what a monster spoiler[Hohenheim] used to be. That revelation alone needed at least an episode just so we can understand where these characters are coming from.

The fact that Gendo is an asshole to Shinji because Shinji gave him an inferior razor instead of a schick is totally canon to Evangelion.

The Fullmetal Alchemist manga didn't have complex villains? Sure you could argue the manga version of Greed wasnt a villain, but Father, Solf J Kimblee, Wrath, Pride and Envy were definitely as complex as say the anime version of Wrath (if that is the bar we are using for what constitutes a complex villain).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God, I wish I could have seen Zac's face when Hope said "I could do without the incest". Those 5 seconds of silence, and then Zac going "Well.....". PRICELESS.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Steven Universe does have pretty good music. Honestly one of my favorite things about toons these days be it Steven, AT, Gravity Falls, Korra, MLP, or Wander. Is the music.

Personally I really liked Wolf Children, but yeah it wasn't perfect. Personally though I enjoyed it abit more then Girl Who Lept Through Time. But not quite as much as Summer Wars.

And sad to hear about the second Hobbit. I haven't seen the second one yet, and now I'm kind of thinking I should just wait till it's out on Blu-Ray. Oh well, still have Anchorman 2 & Saving Mr. Banks to look forward to!

Also, worst movie Of the year, animation wise, didn't like Turbo or Planes at all. And on the live action side, after letting it sink in, Man of Steel was pretty dang dissapointing.

Best films, I'd have to agree with Zac & Hope that Pacific Rim & Frozen were enjoyable films. Although the only song I really liked from Frozen was Let it Go, the rest were kinda weak IMO. Also personally enjoyed Thor 2 & The Croods.
amarielah

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Wanting characters to have more realistic human reactions to moral dilemmas is probably part the reason why I appreciate the first FMA anime so much. Edward is actually tempted to do the wrong thing but is never painted as an "anti-hero", just a hero who has human failings like everybody else. That said, it definitely never reached Breaking Bad levels of character exploration. It just had enough moments of it to be refreshing.

Brotherhood was frustrating in how it never had Edward waver on moral questions, and never put him in situations where there were no third options. And the times where it does have characters giving in to the "dark side" as it were, as with spoiler[Mustang's confrontation with Envy, it's always resolved very quickly and has no lasting effect on character dynamics. Trust is re-established instantly and Roy has no lingering regrets about it. I understand why this was the case, since there was a lot of important plot stuff to get to, but it just didn't gel for me. It made the characters seem a bit like robots who could turn their emotions off once they were no longer relevant to the plot.] So the potential was there, but it was mostly left untapped.

There's nothing objectively wrong with any of this, of course, but it sticks out to me in a series that deals with issues that are very complex IRL.

(i get the feeling that this is inviting somebody to reply that the lingering effects of character's choices in the 2003 series was over-the-top wangst. please don't even go there. this is clearly about my personal taste and not an assertion that the way Brotherhood dealt with drama was objectively inferior.)

But yeah, I think that question about whether or not the audience's views affect the way you view an anime was a typo. They probably meant to ask if the author's view has an affect. The reason why they mentioned Isayama is because he made a really questionable tweet about how the Koreans should be thankful towards the Japanese for their occupation, since it drove the Koreans to be better. Or something along those lines. Needless to say it upset a lot of fans, and with good reason.

Another good example is Sho Aikawa, who co-wrote the vehemently antisemitic OVA Angel Cop, but also wrote the highly-critical-of-Nazis Conqueror of Shamballa. (There's this one tumblr user who made the argument that since the former was antisemitic, the latter *must* be as well. But I'm Jewish and saw nothing wrong with CoS on that score.) For me, it's about whether or not those attitudes actually translate into the work itself. Because I wouldn't be able to read a lot of classic literature if the antisemitic views of authors were a dealbreaker for me. Let alone watch most operas. (Antisemitism in Japan is also fundamentally different from antisemitism in the West.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6