• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Nominated for Animated Film Oscar

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:11 am Reply with quote
My money's on Frozen. Any takers?
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Nope, I'm pretty sure Frozen has this one in the bag.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah it's going to be Frozen. Disney isn't going to allow The Wind Rises to win. They're going to do everything in their power to get Frozen to win, you know their own actual film they made, rather than some foreign film they licensed, even though it is Ghibli.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
While Frozen looked great, I didn't think it was that fantastic.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Wind at least got nominated. But yeah, a win would be pretty shocking.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen Frozen or the Wind Rises yet, so I'm curious how they were.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:

You're not alone here. Frozen is pretty much overrated IMO, as it, outside of a certain plot twist that spoiler[wasn't really that original thanks to Shrek], feels pretty formulaic in terms of an animated Disney film (and don't get started on the plot holes and song issues).
jimhap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Yeah it's going to be Frozen. Disney isn't going to allow The Wind Rises to win. They're going to do everything in their power to get Frozen to win, you know their own actual film they made, rather than some foreign film they licensed, even though it is Ghibli.

You might be surprised. I'm guessing both will win. Since this is Miyazaki's last year as an animator/director, the Academy might, you know, want to send him off with a nice Oscar. (And no kidding, a LOT of websites are buzzing about the possibility. It got strong critical acclaim, it's his last year, we can probably get away with giving him one!) Double winners in a single category have been possible in the past years, so both Frozen and The Wind Rises winning an Oscar is possible.

Of course, this is 200% speculation, 0% fact, so we'll have to see what happens February 24th. ;)
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
That's BS. It's Miyazaki's 6th retirement. Nobody buys it anymore.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
And a well-deserved snub to the not-even-nominated Monsters University.

Maybe voters are trying to send a message that they've tired of the sequel whore that Pixar has become. Either that, or they seriously believe The Croods and Despicable Me 2 were better? Ouch.
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
grooven wrote:

You're not alone here. Frozen is pretty much overrated IMO, as it, outside of a certain plot twist that spoiler[wasn't really that original thanks to Shrek], feels pretty formulaic in terms of an animated Disney film (and don't get started on the plot holes and song issues).
Yeah, my major issue was the plot holes and just the overall pacing. Some songs were pretty good, but most were forgettable.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
This will of course depend on Disney's influence; but I wouldn't be too surprised if The Wind Rises pulls out an upset. We're all reasonably sure that Miyazaki is actually retiring now, and when the last of something gets nominated, we tend to consider everything that came before as part of the picture. There's a reason why The Return of the King ran away with the oscars while The Two Towers, which was better received by critics overall, didn't: The Return of the King represented a completed trilogy which was also the definitive epic fantasy film experience. Similarly, The Wind Rises stands in for Miyazaki's entire career as a director.

Let's also not forget that Spirited Away beat Treasure Planet and Lilo and Stitch, which were both Disney proper. Another thing to consider is that The Wind Rises may stand to get a larger boost in ticket sales from a win than Frozen simply because so many people have already seen Frozen. Basically with its influence Disney can either turn a thin seller into a moderate seller or try to make a juggernaut a slightly bigger juggernaut.
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon4 wrote:
This will of course depend on Disney's influence; but I wouldn't be too surprised if The Wind Rises pulls out an upset. We're all reasonably sure that Miyazaki is actually retiring now, and when the last of something gets nominated, we tend to consider everything that came before as part of the picture. There's a reason why The Return of the King ran away with the oscars while The Two Towers, which was better received by critics overall, didn't: The Return of the King represented a completed trilogy which was also the definitive epic fantasy film experience. Similarly, The Wind Rises stands in for Miyazaki's entire career as a director.

Let's also not forget that Spirited Away beat Treasure Planet and Lilo and Stitch, which were both Disney proper. Another thing to consider is that The Wind Rises may stand to get a larger boost in ticket sales from a win than Frozen simply because so many people have already seen Frozen. Basically with its influence Disney can either turn a thin seller into a moderate seller or try to make a juggernaut a slightly bigger juggernaut.

Your theory has a few holes in it. Firstly, Frozen is a lot better received, critically and commercially, than either Lilo & Stitch or Treasure Planet. There is no contest there. Second, from what I have heard, The Wind Rises can NOT hold a candle to Spirited Away. The reason that Spirited Away won the Oscar is because it was so unique, both visually and in terms of its plot, and the Academy would have been stupid to let that one slip through its fingers. The Wind Rises is not as critically praised as Spirited Away. Third, The Wind Rises was submitted for Oscar consideration when Disney was unsure of how Frozen was going to do critically and commercially. No one, not even Disney, thought that the movie was going to make this much money and be loved by this many people. They are going to put as much money into promoting their film even more. Lastly, let's remember who is voting here. They are retired actors in their 80's and up. Most of them were either in WWII or closely knew someone who was. I don't want to say they are racist...... but The Wind Rises may evoke some negative feelings if they see it. Depending on their mood. Let's remember how many 'Best Picture' winners are all "America, fudge YEAH"!

If it was last year or, hell, even the year before, I would be pulling for The Wind Rises. And hey, I have respect for Miyazaki and I am glad that he made such a personal film for his final project. I just don't know if it is Oscar worthy.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Frozen will get it just because its well known. Even though its has several flaws. It's a pretty movie and good but not the best Disney movie ever.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
RedemptionRevenge wrote:
The reason that Spirited Away won the Oscar is because it was so unique, both visually and in terms of its plot, and the Academy would have been stupid to let that one slip through its fingers.

Don't dismiss Disney's influence that easily. I skimmed Variety every week for a few years, including around the time Spirited Away was nominated, and Disney pushed that film much, much harder in its advertising than their other two nominees. Fact is, they had a lot to do with it generating the buzz that led to the Oscar win. If you want to know what animated feature they'll be favoring for this year's awards, keep an eye on the ads (and their placement) in Variety and The Hollywood Reporter over the next several weeks.

Last edited by R. Kasahara on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5