• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriko Anime to End on March 30 After 3 Years

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpg13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's about time!
Best thing about this show was being introduced to Leo Ieiri's music.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't surprise me to see it come back after the Buu Saga is over... Toei owns that hour timeslot, and its going to be ending after a major arc and a timeskip. They could bring it back with a new name and not have to deal with a major filler arc to bridge the gap.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
It's always a shame to see something that's been running for so long, end. Especially when it was in the top ratings! I imagine it finally caught up to the manga, I'm certain it will be back at some point.

Maybe now that it has ended, Funimation can release the rear of the series. To me, Toriko is one of those anime that works better in English sort of like DBZ.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm sure that they'll continue it eventually, since anime had great ratings, as far as I remember, but, from the other side, good things in this anime (perfect cast, good score and a couple of good fights, like Toriko vs Tommyrod) were completely overhelmed by bad things, like censorship and fillers.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Toriko had good ratings compared to almost every other TV anime, but had poor ratings compared to its timeslot. Even worse, the merchandise sales weren't any good. Given the Twitter account didn't say this was a hiatus, I kind of doubt Toriko returns.
opconvoy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Interesting for Toriko took the dragon ball time slot when it ended, and now vise versa, well either way sucks to see a good show go.
Shankusu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Toriko had good ratings compared to almost every other TV anime, but had poor ratings compared to its timeslot. Even worse, the merchandise sales weren't any good. Given the Twitter account didn't say this was a hiatus, I kind of doubt Toriko returns.

This.

I just recently moved on to the manga since it felt like the anime made this current arc feel very underwhelming sometimes.

While I can deal with fillers since they're skippable, the censorship was terrible. We rarely see any blood, probably nothing up until the last couple of episodes. The latest episode also showed how a certain event was altered, most likely due to censorship. Readers know what I'm on about.

It's funny though how One Piece airs right after Toriko but isn't nearly as censored.

The cast was great and the music gave the adventurous feeling that Toriko is all about in the earlier parts of the series. So in those aspects, I'll give Toei props. Same with the One Piece anime.

It was an enjoyable anime as a whole.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Oo, now I might consider marathoning this after it's finished airing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
101nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

It's funny though how One Piece airs right after Toriko but isn't nearly as censored.

I remember seeing Toei studio's yearly release where they talk about sales and stuff and in that they mentioned near Toriko "Popular with elementary kids". So I'm guessing that's why they censored a lot.

Last edited by 101nemesis on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
It's always a shame to see something that's been running for so long, end. Especially when it was in the top ratings! I imagine it finally caught up to the manga, I'm certain it will be back at some point.

That's basically it. At first I was sad, then I realized that taking a break is MUCH better than going on an 80 episode filler arc like a certain other Shonen show...
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm...glad. It looked really horrible and the pacing is even worse than One Piece and Naruto combined. I wouldn't mind if it returns after a while (although the posts above seem to suggest that's not likely), as long as it will be paced better. In terms of voice acting and world building I do think it managed to be an unique experience from the manga though, so it's not like I watched it for nothing.
Stark700 wrote:
Oo, now I might consider marathoning this after it's finished airing.

If you plan on following Toriko, I'd recommend picking up the manga instead. While the anime has slightly better world building because of the two types of food introduced every episode, the manga looks MUCH better and has a better pacing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWgi95GUHg8 - A beast of an Opening though.
Divineking

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
[quote="101nemesis"]
Shankusu wrote:
Primus wrote:

I remember seeing Toei studio's yearly release where they talk about sales and stuff and in that they mentioned near Toriko "Popular with elementary kids". So I'm guessing that's why they censored a lot.

The reason was probably more likely that they wanted to make it more appealing to international licensors and get it on TV in the west like how DBZ Kai made it onto Nicktoons.

Personally I think the heavy censorship was part of the reason the anime didn't have the kind of affect Toei and JUMP were looking for. The manga is extremely violent at times so toning it down as much as it did was really odd. Anime might have been better off in the hands of a different studio but I suppose it's too late now.
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Toriko TV ratings could be misleading, it airs right before One Piece on same channel so kids can check it out while they are waiting for One Piece... The recent Toriko movie did very badly and fell well below expectations

Toriko 2013 movie earned US$1,859,563
Dbz Battle of Gods earned US$29,936,495

Toriko manga also wasn't in top10 last year so I am not surprised
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least they finally officially announced it (took them long enough). Still really sad though. Toriko is one of those shows that has moments that make me go "oh yeah, this is why I love anime." I'm going to miss that since I don't get those that often. It has a lot of issues though like the pacing, it censors/changes parts from the manga, and pacing. Well, mostly the horrible pacing. The cast is also absolutely wonderful. I'm seriously going to miss Ryotaro Okiayu as Toriko. Also it has one of the manliest opening songs ever.

I'm kind of glad it didn't go into filler arc hell. Those kill me. Fingers crossed that they bring it back when there's more material to work with.

On a side note, a nice consolation prize for me would be for Funimation to pick up more (rest) of the series since there is a definite ending in sight. That would be nice then I can hear more of Ian Sinclair as Toriko. Wink
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
_Darkblondie_ wrote:
Toriko 2013 movie earned US$1,859,563
Dbz Battle of Gods earned US$29,936,495

The Toriko movie was such a massive failure for Toei standards that i doubt they will bring it back. The anime has been changing events lately, as if they are intending to give it a definite ending.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2