• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Creamy Mami's Last English DVD Set Reaches Crowdfunding Goal

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Is that DVD box picture for the second volume? If it isn't, then it's wrong. The series has 52 episodes and they're referring to the last English DVD set, so shouldn't that say it's up to episode 52?
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote
This week's Answerman wrote:
Anime Sols, which has regularly struggled with getting enough awareness for its campaigns, recently reminded fans that if their campaign for the last box set of Creamy Mami -- one of the original classics in the Studio Pierrot library -- doesn't go through (and as of this writing, it's in very real danger of failing), Pierrot is unlikely to give the whole crowdfunding idea another shot.

So... did Justin have anything to do with this?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Is that DVD box picture for the second volume? If it isn't, then it's wrong. The series has 52 episodes and they're referring to the last English DVD set, so shouldn't that say it's up to episode 52?

That picture is for the second volume. According to Anime Sols, "Design for Set 4 TBD."
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Blatch: No, that was all me. Cool
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:
This week's Answerman wrote:
Anime Sols, which has regularly struggled with getting enough awareness for its campaigns, recently reminded fans that if their campaign for the last box set of Creamy Mami -- one of the original classics in the Studio Pierrot library -- doesn't go through (and as of this writing, it's in very real danger of failing), Pierrot is unlikely to give the whole crowdfunding idea another shot.

Surely GATSU's heroic nagging single-handedly defeated the global conspiracy against Anime Sols.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Blatch wrote:

Probably, him and GATSU, who keeps (kept) reminding people over in the thread for this week's Answerman how much the final set needs (needED) to make its goal.

(WHOOPS, someone more hostile beat me to it. lel.)

So yeah...this bodes well for classic-but-obscure in the West anime, me hopes. :D I am only somewhat interested in Creamy Mami as I'm not a big magical girl guy, except for the odd Sailor Moon and guy-oriented stuff like Cutie Honey.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Let's not forget the Osamu Tezuka crowdfundings which have 5 days to reach their goals. Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
Let's not forget the Osamu Tezuka crowdfundings which have 5 days to reach their goals.

Yeah, I don't think many were interested in those. And unlike Gatsu's conspiracy theory for Hurricane Polymer, those were neither asked for nor on any surveys I've seen. If those fail, it really is because not enough people gave a shit. They've barely moved since they were added.
Chii85

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I have directly asked them how they are eventually going to dubbed their series and they said you have to do another set of crowdfunding goals to release them bilingual and that they need more to do that. It does not work that way and I feel this is time-consuming if they do that again. Can't they use the money from the sub only sales to do the dub and then do another campaign for the complete set?
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
I have directly asked them how they are eventually going to dubbed their series and they said you have to do another set of crowdfunding goals to release them bilingual and that they need more to do that. It does not work that way and I feel this is time-consuming if they do that again. Can't they use the money from the sub only sales to do the dub and then do another campaign for the complete set?

When did they ever say they were gonna dub any of their projects?
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Man that cut it close. Not a series Im interested in, but I'm glad it got finished. Would be a shame if people funded the first three volumes and then got screwed over with the last one.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:

Maybe this is just me, but I think they'd want SOME profit, or at least break even from their efforts... Using the money they made from the subbed release solely to create a dub seems like a ridiculous idea...

Oh, and do you know how much dubbing costs? Dubbing 50+ episodes at that... Rolling Eyes
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
Can't they use the money from the sub only sales to do the dub and then do another campaign for the complete set?

Anime News Network's Anime Economy Series wrote:

production costs (which can range from a few hundred dollars for a barebones subtitled DVD, to over US$10,000 per episode to produce a dubbed Blu-ray.)

...That implies the actual dubbing is the lion's share of the cost of a dubbed anime. Even if it's only half the cost of making a bluray (it's far more than that, I'm sure, but I'm being generous on the math, here), that's $5000 per episode to dub an anime.

They just crowdfunded the subbed DVDs at $18000 for 13 episodes.

They can't extract $65000 from the profit on that $18000 to pay for the dubbing of 13 episodes. It's just not there. There isn't going to be $65000 in profit across all four box sets ($79000-ish total if you add up all 4 on the Sols site). That's not including the money they didn't actually make during the two-for-one pledge deal they ran for a while, or the extra money they had to spend remaking and re-shipping the incorrectly-mastered disc...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that you can buy all four tv sets now, if you've been holding out.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Pardon me for seeming ignorant, but are any of these crowdfunded releases from Anime Sols available for general release or only for those that donated to them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3