• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Final Fantasy XIV

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm fairly addicted to Final Fantasy XIV, perhaps because it has been over 10 years since I was really focused on an MMORPG, so everything seems new to me. I'm much more of a Final Fantasy player than an MMO player, and I find it lots of fun. Anyway, I would definitely recommend the game to anyone who is interested in a starting playing a new MMORPG.

Quote:
There's rarely a light at the end of the tunnel, like if you gave Bango enough frying pans, like six dozen frying pans, there would be some achievement unlocked.

You would indeed earn several achievements for giving Bango Zango enough frying pans (or other items). Also, every time I see Bango Zango in the game or see Bango post on the forums here I now think of the other one, since those are the only two Bangos I know of.

Quote:
Go into the random dungeon queue as tank instead, because a tank never has to wait for long, and killing bosses is probably probably more fun than sewing pants (but sewing pants is probably more fun in this than it has been in any other game)

I spend far too much of my time in the game crafting pants. I'm really into trying to earn gil, even though there isn't anything to spend it on. For some reason pants seem to be crafted less on my server than other clothes, so that is the main thing I make. I agree though that running dungeons is much more fun.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sound/Music as the lowest score is a shame. XIV has my favorite MMO soundtrack since LOTRO. Very atmospheric and heart pounding at times. Especially the Primal fights. Titan's "Under the Weight" starts out pretty methodical at the start of the fight then ramps up and changes with each Phase of the fight until the last phase where it's some heavy metal thrashing like a cracked out version of Jecht's theme from FFX.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
The game is pretty mediocre honestly and generic, but I don't believe the OST is a C+ at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJRnD5HuZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oF7b_YSKvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAFpQTYdwY

Probably the only MMO I've played where the music really amplifies the battle and is something memorable.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Fri May 02, 2014 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I was taken aback by that score as well. I think the music is wonderful and the sound effects aren't too shabby either.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Sound/Music as the lowest score is a shame. XIV has my favorite MMO soundtrack since LOTRO. Very atmospheric and heart pounding at times. Especially the Primal fights. Titan's "Under the Weight" starts out pretty methodical at the start of the fight then ramps up and changes with each Phase of the fight until the last phase where it's some heavy metal thrashing like a cracked out version of Jecht's theme from FFX.

Ohhhhh yes. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was reminded of Otherworld.

I've been playing since September. Got my Paladin and White Mage up to level 50 (the current cap, for those not in the know); probably could've done a lot more, but I've been inordinately obsessed with crafting and gathering. Anime hyper I've got all the crafting classes up to level 50, and I've just spent an unhealthy amount of time and effort obtaining my Artisan's Needle - now that's one you won't get off the Auction House. Anime smile;

Worth noting that this and FFXI are the only MMORPGs I've really spent any length of time playing. Sometimes I miss FFXI, but then I remember how it played, and consequently why I left. >_>
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I've been playing as a tank (named "Gamagoori_Senpai" Very Happy) on the PS3, and targeting enemies in melee combat like FATEs can be very difficult. Someday I'll play on a computer, but right now all the machines I have run Linux!
meiam

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
The game is pretty terrible and generic, but I don't believe the OST is a C+ at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqJRnD5HuZw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oF7b_YSKvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZZDnlAg3Pk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPAFpQTYdwY

Probably the only MMO I've played where the music really amplifies the battle and is something memorable.

Have to agree, one of the best soundtrack in an mmo I've ever played. Plus since you're constantly waiting around for the GCD in combat you have plenty of time to enjoy it Razz
Spoofer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Sometimes I miss FFXI, but then I remember how it played, and consequently why I left. >_>

Story of every ex-FFXI player. Anime hyper
DigitalFowl

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
That Music/Sound score is... quite baffling. Clearly someone has 'not' made it to endgame and heard the absolutely AMAZING music (I don't know of many that don't find the boss theme for BotC absolutely amazing) or hasn't paid attention to many of the songs being remixes/updates of old music (the theme during Gilgamesh's fight anyone?) because the music is absolutely phoenomenal. I'd understand a B of any form, but considering a C tends to fall in line with 'average' I can't really fathom calling FFXIV's OST average.

Regardless, everything else is on point, the usual MMO weaknesses are here and really, the game is going to win you over either because it's Final Fantasy (And you've never tried/played VERY few MMORPG's before) OR based on the promise of what it has the potential to BECOME, what with the developers appreciation and recognition of the community as well as the promises of where the game is going and the eventual complexity it will add back present in FFXIV and FFXI to draw back in the stragglers/unsubscribed.

It is, however, the most fun I have had with an MMORPG in over 5 years.

And general ego stroking portion of the post, Level 50 in White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner/Scholar, level 32 Warrior, Level 50 Carpenter and Culinarian, level 40 Fisher and level 20 Miner & Botanist. I've enjoyed the game immensely and I can't wait to see where this game's story is going. Both content updates post launch have indicated an underlying secret that, while likely to be preserved for an expansion pack level update, will likely turn the game upside down in terms of the understanding of the world, its secrets and hopefully, its gameplay mechanics.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I was only able to play the game for the closed and open beta, but I dedicated quite a bit of time to it because I was lucky to have the time at that point in my life. I can't do that now (and would prefer to balance my time with other games), so the subscription to play the game is not worth the money for me.

I can still say, however, it was one of the best initial experiences in Final Fantasy for me ever. From beginning to end (of my trial), I was engrossed in the world and in exploring every bit of the aesthetics. Despite a really slow rate of progress, not a second of the game felt wasted to me. And I'm the kind of person to put the controller down and take in the atmosphere of the landscaping and artistry of the surroundings and music when possible, so even on the PS3, with the limited graphics capabilities, everything was simply breathtaking. Music score here definitely feels very, very underrated in that sense. It was hard for a single track in the game to NOT move me while I was playing. I would softly hum along, even--enough to express how I love the subtle melodies, but not too loud to let my own noise overshadow the actual composition reaching my ears.

Like others, I'm no avid MMO player. And like I just mentioned, the aesthetics really matter to me and are almost the point for me (gameplay can still ruin it, but here, the gameplay is standard, yet not discomforting). FFXIV doesn't look like it could get old for me, and I can say that as someone who gets pretty bored of most MMO's I've tried playing after the first few hours. I'm sad that I may never be able to play any more of the game, and it really was a short time, but I can happily say it was a great experience that I will never forget.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
the only games so far, that have given me a similar pleasure of the last gen, were Fallout3/NV, Skyrim and Xenoblade Chronicles... (and don't like FFXIII..., nor have I ever played MMO's before)

the quest, class, skill ect. system all motivate.. and the dialoges and quest(stories) keep getting better... (sure, "story" is not it's main strenght, but it's there and has some cool styles too it..)

but the tru strenght of the game, ist exploring and roaming thru the vast, beautiful and colorfull landscapes! (and just love the many "color shades" of day/night shifting...)

and I have to agree, that besides the game is just utterly gorgeous... the Sound is like on a equal standing as the grafix.. (the music is way better than a C+.... even if some tunes can repeat often, if you stick in the same area for too long..)

this is what TESO was ment to be like..., so beautifull, engaging and addictiv!.. (never expected this from a FF MMO, especially after the horrid FFXIII fransises...)

and I'm so glad, it can be enjoyed in the 1-person view too..(while roaming, strafing/looking and enjoying the grafix/sceneries..)
samhain

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to how much of this game you really played. I'm not questioning your score on it or your judgement, but you made a very obvious and glaring error very early on in your review.
Quote:
Any character can be any (or every) class, and changing between them is as simple as swapping weapons. By equipping a bow a mage can become an archer, even mid-dungeon.

Everyone that plays this game knows yes you can change jobs and yes it's as easy as just changing your weapon. But you can not change jobs inside of any dungeon and that hasn't even been an option at any point since the reboot came out. It was possible in the old version but not the current. So I'm sorry but that big of an error in your review just within the first 3 paragraphs kinda make me question as to how much you actually played the game.
daveriley

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction. I'd confused it with roles not being completely rigidly defined in dungeons.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
Been playing the game myself. I'm quite addicted to the crafting (Tradecraft) Jobs that are available.
....You can't really just focus on one of those, either, unless you've got money to spare. I ended up having to swap jobs to another crafting job just to get the right materials I needed.

It's unusually entertaining and before long hours have passed.

I actually spent some of today gearing my brother's crafting job out with High Quality items; didn't even realize he was so gimped as I had been equipping as I made the items. xD

The main story can sometimes be tedious tasks but at least it does its job of guiding you whist rewarding you along the way.

As far as MMORPGS go, its quite a good game. The mechanics have much improved since FF11.
Rai The Noblesse

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
the story Mainline and Quests in general (finding something can be trick-ish, even with the map marker), keep getting better...

but those landscapes are killing me OO (reached "Littel Solace".. the scenery, with day/night/fog/sunlightbeams ect.. are epical..)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2