• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Plans Overseas Streaming of Anime & More via Niconico

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Student no.0

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
If anything I just hope this means I'll be able to legally see the Haruhi and Lucky Star dub in my country on CR soon somehow.
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
So Kadokawa and Japan are finally looking at Hollywood's global market and decided to get a piece of it and perhaps more. Cool
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Stop with the hostile takeovers and start making Kancolle everything available to the West.
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
All right, this look very promising. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Stop with the hostile takeovers and start making Kancolle everything available to the West.

Hostile? They're just trying to make things easily available for everyone how is that hostile? And Kancolle will be released one day, if anime taught me anything it's patience.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
This is a Big Deal for Japan, but given the way that Kadokawa has been handling Comic-walker, I can't imagine that this will have any really substantial impact for US fans.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

At the end of December, Niconico had 37.58 million registered users, 80% of whom were less than 40 years old. Niconico also has 2.17 million paid subscribers as of December.

Wonder how about competing non-Kadokawa properties that get popular in Niconico.........

Anyways, those numbers aren't very large. Maybe that's why Niconico has to go merger. Youtube has much larger numbers and yet to turn a profit.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:11 am Reply with quote
If this results in a legal stream of Symphogear for the US when the third series arrives, I'll be happy.

The former incarnation of Nico Nico that made titles available to the US and Canada (and less frequently other countries) didn't delve into catalog titles, however, so unless that changes we would still be missing out on the second series.

enurtsol wrote:
Anyways, those numbers aren't very large. Maybe that's why Niconico has to go merger. Youtube has much larger numbers and yet to turn a profit.

When you compare the number of paying subscribers to the number of Hulu Plus subscribers in the US, and compare both as a percentage of the country's population, NicoNico is close to the percentage for Hulu Plus.

Comparing free membership is another matter, as Hulu seems shy about publicizing those numbers.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also as a part of the merger, Kadokawa will handle physical products such as movies, anime, music composition, and the publishing of digital and physical books, while Dwango will handle digital products such as Niconico and digital music site Chaku Uta. Niconico will also handle event management.

This.... could be bad. Shocked

We might just be witnessing the birth of another Aniplex of America here, folks.

Be afraid. Be VERY AFRAID. Shocked
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
well, nico america already failed once

second of all, kadokawa has never really been generous with their titles anyway. Not only do you have to suffer through 8 endless episodes, but they are all down-scaled to horrific DVD quality.

that being said, I don't think there will be exclusive only series appearing on niconico if that is what people are afraid of.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Quote:
Also as a part of the merger, Kadokawa will handle physical products such as movies, anime, music composition, and the publishing of digital and physical books, while Dwango will handle digital products such as Niconico and digital music site Chaku Uta. Niconico will also handle event management.

We might just be witnessing the birth of another Aniplex of America here, folks.

Rather than being afraid, i'd welcome it. Top notch physical releases with masters straight from Japan? Count me in. Very Happy
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Quote:

I think you might be reading too much into this. Seems to me like that's all on the Japanese side. The part about using NicoNico for their streaming internationally on the other hand...
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

And yet nobody complains about Kodansha.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
What is the coverage area of niconico?
Is it available everywhere? I could not find anything on their web site about geographical restrictions.
I am just wondering what "overseas" means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
What is the coverage area of niconico?
Is it available everywhere? I could not find anything on their web site about geographical restrictions.
I am just wondering what "overseas" means.

Basically, Nico Nico Douga serves East Asia, and Japan in particular, and only provides the most basic levels of support for anyone else. The video player is bulky, bitrates are (generally) inferior compared to its competitors, and the site layout is horrendous (the NND front page looks like Yahoo circa 2000).

A few years ago, Nico was pushing for an American presence, and did have an opportunity to compete against CR and the like... but the rollout utterly failed for many reasons. The other sites took advantage of the stumble and pushed them back out of the market entirely. There are still a few English-speaking interns over there who maintain the Facebook/Twitter feeds, but that's about all that's left of the push for US market share. The result ultimately was several hundred user broadcasts per week with the "USA" tag. The majority of them are Japanese expats, however, and only a minority of the minority are non-Japanese folks.

I *think* the Nico Nico Douga US branch was accessible in the US, Canada and maybe parts of the EU (and South America?), but some titles were inaccessible in certain countries (e.g. I seem to recall Mexico being out of licensing for some show). If another push to enter the US market occurred, I would imagine it'd be the same regions -- maybe a little more systematic, at least.

On the Japanese side of things, almost all anime broadcasts are locked to Japanese IP ranges. Occasionally a title will be accessible in China/Korea. Once in a blue moon, a series will be accessible in the US/EU without a VPN. Natsuiro Kiseki was one, for example. The same applies for anime specials (Magic Knight Rayearth was broadcast ~2 years ago, and was accessible overseas, IIRC). Naturally, everything on the Japanese side is without subtitles.

If there's going to be another push for Nico to enter the US streaming market, I can only feel that it would be a much harder climb this time around...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2