• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Musician Aska Arrested for Drug Possession

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Michael Nathanael T. wrote:
koinosuke wrote:
Instead of spending money in drugs, why don't they give the money to the poor?

...Is this a serious question? If it is, instead of spending money on anime, why don't you give it to the poor?

I do give to the poor.

Obviously not enough! They're still poor! I don't think you're applying yourself!
ly000001

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
What kind of drugs?

The articles say 覚醒剤 (stimulants), but don't seem to be any more specific than that.
rainbowrabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Instead of spending money in drugs, why don't they give the money to the poor?

How about you not tell other people how to spend their hard earned money. That has nothing to do with you.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
ly000001 wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
What kind of drugs?

The articles say 覚醒剤 (stimulants), but don't seem to be any more specific than that.

Meth was my third.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
This thread just reinforces my notion that stoners are some of the most annoying people out there. They can't just toke up in peace, they have to remind you they're stoners and they are going to go get high. And be proud of it.

configspace wrote:
It's absolutely ludicrous that you should be put in a cage for marijuana, coca, lsd, or anything. Hence the only place a truly free market exists is in the black market. This is one of the areas nearly untouched in manga/anime and is a IMO an untapped opportunity. I'm sure though any title advocating it or more generally free markets, would go through the entire rigamarole as Imouto Paradise again. But that would also help prove the point in such a manga.

Media reflects the culture. Japan's not a drug-infested rat's nest like some other countries are so I don't see why they'd focus on drugs so much in their series. Same with alcohol. Despite the fact alcohol is easily obtained by minors they also don't have an underage drinking problem. It's just not an issue in Japan.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
You guys dont know dick about drugs. dont talk about it unless you've done it yourself otherwise your opinion mean shit. You grow up your entire lived and having society or the government preach to you about how bad it is theres always a negative stigma associated with drugs. Learn to think for yourselves. In short all the crackheads in the spotlight ruin it for the casual users
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
This isn't about smoking your joint in peace. This is about someone who is kidnapped and caged for something they ingest.

The issue of drugs and alcohol does come up frequently enough, though not focused on. For illegal drugs all the anime and most manga I presume just give the usual spiel rationalizing use of force. If what you say is true about alcohol, then there is an inconsistency or hypocrisy in the sentiment "media reflects culture" when in fact, every single show disclaims or warns against minors -- which include 18 and 19 year olds in college (see Steins;Gate and more so Moyashimon) -- drinking alcohol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

If what you say is true about alcohol, then there is an inconsistency or hypocrisy in the sentiment "media reflects culture" when in fact, every single show disclaims or warns against minors -- which include 18 and 19 year olds in college (see Steins;Gate and more so Moyashimon) -- drinking alcohol.

It's training. Once they get into the workforce, they'd be forced to go drinking nomikai, after work hours, unpaid, out of their own pocket, whether they like to or not, away from their families, filling the last train with drunken salarymen.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
OK, I just listened to NHK World News today, and I just heard the drug has been confirmed to be the designer drug MDMA. I'll quote the article (since NHK World news article don't stay there for long):

NHK World wrote:
Tokyo police have handed over to prosecutors the pop star ASKA, who was arrested on suspicion of possessing stimulant drugs.

The 56-year-old singer-songwriter was transported by car to the Tokyo District Public Prosecutor's Office on Sunday morning along with his female acquaintance.

The musician, whose real name is Shigeaki Miyazaki, was arrested on Saturday. He allegedly carried illegal stimulants on 2 occasions last month at the woman's apartment in Tokyo. He has denied the allegation.

Investigators confiscated from his home powder believed to be enough stimulants for more than 10 uses, tablets that appear to be the designer drug MDMA, and equipment for using drugs.

Police will investigate how the musician used illegal drugs and where he obtained them.

Miyazaki is best known as half of the music duo CHAGE and ASKA. Their hit songs sold millions of copies in Japan.

They also became popular in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and elsewhere in Asia.

May 18, 2014 - Updated 02:59 UTC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
"What's the big deal man? It's just X man, legalize it maaaaaaannnnn."

Yeah, I don't think most places are quite on board for brain-melting raver drugs just yet. Well, at least it makes people who automatically assumed it to be pot become the fool.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
A little update from NHK World on this, I'll quote the whole article like the last time:

NHK World wrote:

Pop star ASKA admits to drug possession, use

Tokyo police say pop star ASKA has admitted to illegal possession and use of stimulant drugs.

The member of popular music duo CHAGE and ASKA was arrested on Saturday on suspicion of carrying illegal stimulants on 2 occasions last month at an apartment of a female acquaintance in Tokyo.

Police say the 56-year-old musician, whose real name is Shigeaki Miyazaki, initially denied the allegation.

Investigators confiscated from his home in Tokyo powder believed to be enough stimulants for more than 10 uses and a glass pipe apparently used to inhale the drug.

Investigators say urine and hair tests they conducted on Miyazaki were positive for stimulants.

Tokyo police plan to bring additional charges of drug use against Miyazaki next week.

The acquaintance, Kasumi Tochinai, is reportedly still denying drug possession charges.

CHAGE and ASKA are very popular in not only Japan but also other countries and areas including Singapore and Taiwan.

May 23, 2014 - Updated 08:17 UTC
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2