• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toronto Int'l Film Fest to Host Director Mamoru Oshii

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
Sweet! I notice that this news item comes from Brian Ruh who - literally - wrote the book on Oshii. I wonder if that means he will be conducting the interview. In any case, I'll be there for sure.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 am Reply with quote
Didn't he cancel?
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
Way boss for Toronto. They get some really neat stuff up there. I have no idea what he'll say, but it should satisfy some definition of interesting.

Then again, maybe it just happened that Oshii was going to be in town to score some crack from the mayor.

Blood- wrote:
Sweet! I notice that this news item comes from Brian Ruh who - literally - wrote the book on Oshii. I wonder if that means he will be conducting the interview. In any case, I'll be there for sure.

You lucky canuck bastard. I'd kill you and wear your skin as a suit so I could assume your identity to attend this.

Well, I guess if I'd be going to Toronto anyway, I wouldn't actually have to do all of that. Then again, it would save me on housing while I was in town...

Unless of course you're actually a dirty hobo with a laptop, which you've never provided proof is not true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
Yes, I prefer to maintain an aura of mystery about my true self...

...but the TIFF Lightbox (where this event will be held) is a true cultural treasure. There's always something cool being shown there, some of it occasionally anime related! There's been a Ghibli retrospective twice now in the last two years.

The fact that the Lightbox is a mere 2 minute stroll from my office makes it extry succulent.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yes, I prefer to maintain an aura of mystery about my true self...

Hmmmm...you're famous YouTube anime reviewer Tristan Gallant of Glass Reflection. Cool

In all seriousness, does Mamoru Oshii ever do events in North America? Aside from that 1996 Anime Expo (which now looks like the Bill Russell-Wilt Chamberlain of NA anime conventions), I can't recall any events he's done. This should be a good one.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Didn't he cancel?

uh, reference please??? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I notice that this news item comes from Brian Ruh who - literally - wrote the book on Oshii. I wonder if that means he will be conducting the interview.

Unfortunately, I'm not a part of this (although I really wish I were). It looks like a great evening, though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Aw, that would have been awesome if you had been involved, Brian. I met you briefly at last year's Waterloo Festival of Animated Cinema and enjoyed the Oshii panel that you were part of. Given that you wrote Stray Dog of Anime: The Films of Mamoru Oshii, it would be hard to imagine a more appropriate interviewer/moderator for the event.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
This is really cool. I'll have to make sure I have that day off from work.

To think that this will be the second famous Japanese director that I will see in person in a span of three months. spoiler[(Moyoco Anno attended TCAF a couple of weeks ago. Guess who tagged along?)]
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I can't help thinking "doesn't he look happy about it" :p

Oh, and for a second I wondered what he had to do with Totoro.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1