• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hyrule Warriors Wii U Game Adds Ocarina of Time's Sheik, Ruto, Darunia

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akuma-Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
Well...at least it's not ALL about link's newly acquired harem.
Lucy_Nyuu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
How is it not? Ruto is Link's fiancee, Sheik is... Sheik, and we all know what that old goron wants to do to Link since Ocarina...

I'd say it's still Link's Harem Game, just with a yaoi route... You know, to appeal to female gamers...
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
To be honest there were never that many important male characters in the Zelda franchise. I mean sure they could add Mido, Raharu, Ralph, Makar, Tingle, Kafei, The Happy Mask Salesman, Quil, Talon, Linebeck, and the guys from the team that helps you out in Twilight Princess. But the majority of them are quite obscure and don't really play much of a role in the game they are in. Sure they could be added but it doesn't make as much sense. There are lots of male villains and lots of female characters that could be added. But there aren't a whole lot of female villains (I can't think of any beyond Vernan and Twinrova) and there aren't a whole lot of males to draw from.

Although I would love to see the Postman as playable!

Also implying that by adding a male character just to add a Yaoi element to appeal to female gamers is just wrong. The age will appeal to female gamers even if there's only one male character.

Last edited by Cyclone1993 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
Still holding out hope that Ganondorf will be a playable character, even if he has to be unlocked.
Maokun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Holding for Wind Waker's Link and Tetra.

Oh, and true form Midna.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:

Also implying that by adding a male character just to add a Yaoi element to appeal to female gamers is just wrong. The age will appeal to female gamers even if there's only one male character.

I'm not a fan of yaoi, I just want to play as the female characters I've loved since I was a child. In addition, I'm holding out for Nabooru, even as DLC.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am Reply with quote
All of these new characters sound cool and all, and no doubt Zelda fans are chomping at the bit to use them (except for maybe Ruto--really, did people like her?).

But, seriously, guys, it's a Dynasty Warriors game.

Only a handful of those games are even worth buying at a discount as it is, what makes anyone thing adding Zelda characters will make it better? It took Master Asia's dub actor to make Dynasty Warriors Gundam worth playing, and Ken's Rage had Kenshiro.

We all need a button masher in our lives, but I get the feeling that when Hyrule Warriors comes out, we'll see a horde of angry fans claiming that critics "don't get it".
king 47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

Thank you.

I've only played a dynasty warriors game once, it's was less than then minutes (over estimate) and never again. This seems nothing different to me. The trailers look boring, the game is certainly boring. And I've had enough of Fi in one game. I will wait for reviews though, but I'm most certainly sure I will skip this. Two Bayo games and smash are good for me.

I would love to see a FE x ZELDA game, though it probably won't work.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:

I'm not a fan of yaoi, I just want to play as the female characters I've loved since I was a child. In addition, I'm holding out for Nabooru, even as DLC.

Yeah, all the "Link's harem" jokes are a little creepy and annoying. I'm ready to lay waste to my foes as Queen Zelda.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Gah, so tired of the Link's Harem joke. It's like people said, "wow, Nintendo made a game with a mostly female cast, what's the fastest and most unoriginal way we can devalue them?"

Plus, Link has never shown romantic interest in anyone but Zelda, so I have to wonder if these people are even really familiar with the franchise.

Anyway, this is shaping up to be fantastic. I still hold out hope for Tetra or Toon Link, but they might look weird against the realistic post-Twilight Princess artstyle the game is going for.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Plus, Link has never shown romantic interest in anyone but Zelda, so I have to wonder if these people are even really familiar with the franchise.

Not necessarily; depending on which entry, Zelda's relationship with Link can be anywhere from love interest (Skyward Sword) to merely comrade (Twilight Princess). Plus, let's face it, the dude is a CHICK MAGNET.

The "harem" joke was kinda funny for awhile. Then it got driven into the ground and hijacked by a weird contingent of people who whine about there not being enough men in the cast. That's when it stopped being cute.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
king 47 wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:

Thank you.

Yes, thank you for reminding me that it's going to be a lot of fun to play.
Oh, wait, you guys didn't mean that? Oh well, I like what I like and what I like is the Musou/Warriors Series, among many other series of this ilk.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Calling Darunia the yaoi option is just wrong... he's clearly the bara option. Bara is different from yaoi.

Wyvern wrote:

Since when do harem protagonists show romantic interest in anyone other than the obligatory winning girl? It doesn't matter if Zelda wins the Linkbowl, the other girls can and do still fight over the MC.

AiddonValentine wrote:
The "harem" joke was kinda funny for awhile. Then it got driven into the ground and hijacked by a weird contingent of people who whine about there not being enough men in the cast. That's when it stopped being cute.

I'm pretty sure the people who want a Zelda harem aren't the ones who whine about there being a lack of males. Different people. Anyone who whines about the lack of men are the ones who whine about playing as a girl. Or Ubisoft. Harem lovers would never whine about there being too many girls.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Do any of you here own a Wii U?

The Miiverse is anticipating Hyrule Warriors, Zelda U and the uneventful hinting of Majoras Mask. Game is going to be a fun Distraction while waiting or ZU.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1