• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Announces Watamote English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing is that ANN posted the cast long before Sentai could.

[score 1 for us]
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
What's really weird is that it sounded like Brittney Karbowski in the dubbed trailer.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I would very much like to hear a trailer. Sentai uploaded one to YouTube a few weeks ago, but it was taken down because of some bull**** copyright claim and hasn't been put back up since.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
What's really weird is that it sounded like Brittney Karbowski in the dubbed trailer.

That was a promo for the Anime Network. Watamote probably didn't have a cast at that point.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Everyone knows already the whole cast.... Most people saw it already illegal...
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the sales are good and the sequel can be made. Some of the funniest chapters are yet to be animated.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Shippoyasha wrote:
I really hope the sales are good and the sequel can be made. Some of the funniest chapters are yet to be animated.

1107 <--- the average disc sales for the Watamote volumes. Unless the anime proved to boost sales in other areas (figures, manga, various merch) a 2nd season won't be made. Even if Watamote were to move 30k+ discs in the US it won't affect the decision of a 2nd season because anime is sold so cheaply here, and only a portion of that is forwarded to Japan.

Sad
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
They made a second season of Kaiji in spite of it having poor DVD sales. On the other hand, it got good TV ratings, but still...

Anything is possible.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yep, it would have to be the next Cowboy Bebop to influence anything and I'll wager it just sells decently enough for Sentai to call it a success. A success on those terms means very little to the Japanese who'd need to sink another million+ to fund a sequel season.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Monica, huh? I guess they just decided to go with the safest choice for Tomoko.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Monica, huh? I guess they just decided to go with the safest choice for Tomoko.

They knew that if they screwed up, people would lose their ****, so they got a VA who would nail it, guaranteed. As excited as I am to hear her, I can't help but feel a taaaaaad disappointed that they didn't go with a more unexpected choice.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Tomoko is, I think without question, one of the most difficult roles from 2013-premiering series to dub correctly. (I think a case could also be argued for Izumiko from Red Data Girl, although based on the first couple of episodes that one was handled brilliantly well.) While Karbowski's voice might fit the role slightly better, I must agree that Monica probably has the best chance of pulling it off, as she has shown better range over the years. I am very curious to see what she sounds like and would love to hear/see her do a commentary about playing the role after the fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the-antihero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE YOU MONICA!!
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Tomoko is, I think without question, one of the most difficult roles from 2013-premiering series to dub correctly. (I think a case could also be argued for Izumiko from Red Data Girl, although based on the first couple of episodes that one was handled brilliantly well.) While Karbowski's voice might fit the role slightly better, I must agree that Monica probably has the best chance of pulling it off, as she has shown better range over the years. I am very curious to see what she sounds like and would love to hear/see her do a commentary about playing the role after the fact.

Having literally just watched the first two episodes of the dub on animenetwork, I'd say Monica does a pretty solid job doing Tomoko. It's not quite as distinct as the JP performance, and it's slightly more "cutesy". As such, I was unsure of it at first. I warmed up to her pretty quickly though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
(I think a case could also be argued for Izumiko from Red Data Girl, although based on the first couple of episodes that one was handled brilliantly well.)

Just get the actress who usually does the Mamiko Noto roles since Saori Hayami is basically her replacement now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2