• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wait, if Beerus' whole motivation is to go after the Super Saiyan who killed Freeza, then why is he challenging Goku and not Trunks?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
provided that one does not go into it expecting an action magnum opus.

Which is exactly what FUNi's advertising makes it seem. And maybe that's more the case if you watch the cut version instead of the longer 105 minute one.
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I actually really appreciated how silly the film was and loved Beerus. I've always preferred Dragonball over DBZ and this was more on par with classic DB in terms of silliness. I can understand people being upset and disliking it because it wasn't another super serious film, but a majority of the old films had that and I liked that they changed things up. It's not without its flaws, but I enjoyed it a lot more than most of the films in the franchise. (and at least the one musical number was kept brief, unlike the ones in some of the other movies. Really, I don't need 3 minutes of Gohan being a kid to some terrible song again.)
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Wait, if Beerus' whole motivation is to go after the Super Saiyan who killed Freeza, then why is he challenging Goku and not Trunks?

That's not his motivation. He's looking for the Super Saiyan God that he saw in a dream. Additionally, he didn't challenge Goku, he just wanted to question him about the SSJ God. Goku challenged him. And while Trunks was the one who killed Freeza, Goku was the one who originally defeated him.

I really do love this movie. No it's not heavy on the fighting, but the comedy is golden. It feels more like the original Dragon Ball, and that really is a breath of fresh air for the franchise. And Beerus has got to be the most enjoyable villian since Freeza.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
an interesting trivia about the dub is that Kyle Hebert did the Narrator again despite being recast in DBKai.Also,Bradford Jackson and Meredith McCoy were recasted in DBKai but for this movie they reprised Oolong and Android 18.
And Mary Elizabeth McGlynn makes a cameo.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
It was a fun movie. The ending also leaves possibility for a sequel, which is always exciting
shadow2039

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I love the movie. I have been a DBZ fan since I was a kid. What's even more awesome is this movie completely retcons GT, which is a HUGE plus for me.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
shadow2039 wrote:
I love the movie. I have been a DBZ fan since I was a kid. What's even more awesome is this movie completely retcons GT, which is a HUGE plus for me.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this? Because I didn't see anything in the movie that would retcon GT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
shadow2039 wrote:

Perhaps you could elaborate on this? Because I didn't see anything in the movie that would retcon GT.

don't you find it odd that Super Saiyan God mode is completely forgotten in place of Super Saiyan 4? Not saying that alone retcons GT instantly, but it's enough to further cast doubts over whether or not it is canon.
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Key wrote:
shadow2039 wrote:

don't you find it odd that Super Saiyan God mode is completely forgotten in place of Super Saiyan 4? Not saying that alone retcons GT instantly, but it's enough to further cast doubts over whether or not it is canon.

The retcon that Battle Of Gods provides against GT is that in the movie the Pilaf Gang are children, yet in Dragon Ball GT, which would have supposedly took place ten years after Battle Of Gods, they are all very old and there age is actually a minor plot point in the beginning of GT. So unless the Pilaf Gang aged dramatically in ten years, GT really can't exist, or at least the beginning portion of the show never happened.

Oh, and Battle Of Gods kicked ass! Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
shadow2039 wrote:

The Idea of the baby in Videl's body.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Key wrote:
shadow2039 wrote:

How does that retcon anything?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I just assumed that baby was supposed to be Pan.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Azure-Wind91 wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

That's not his motivation. He's looking for the Super Saiyan God that he saw in a dream. Additionally, he didn't challenge Goku, he just wanted to question him about the SSJ God. Goku challenged him.

Ah, that makes sense. Goku would totally respond to the arrival of a terrifying wrathful god by saying, "Ohhh, I bet it would be fun to fight him!"
thebluehammer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I just wish they kept Tiffany Vollmer as Bulma...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3