• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Space Brothers, AKB48 Founder, Others Take the "Ice Bucket Challenge"

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I see the Japanese celebs are taking part in this too. I know the ice bucket challenge is becoming global from what I've seen from mainstream media.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So, I haven't been paying attention: What IS this whole "ice-bucket" thing, and how does it contribute to ALS charities?

(I already got "dumped with the big bucket of ice" when my mom died of it, and now as an adult, I've had similar muscle problems--
I've already got the ice and the bucket, now when am I going to see the champagne? Sad )
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Hive mind everybody's doing it mentality. If only life could be this simple.

What Im saying is, people are idiots. Intellectualism isnt trendy, so come pour ice water on yourself. Excellent job guys.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
What Im saying is, people are idiots. Intellectualism isnt trendy, so come pour ice water on yourself. Excellent job guys.

I could believe it was related to the Japanese tradition of pouring cold water on your back to steel your will and share another's troubles--
But as a West coast craze, seems more like taking one quickly-over microsecond of trouble to show you care.

It's not the same "understanding" of the problem as "Put your legs to sleep for five minutes, and then try to walk around, for ALS".
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Once you get nominated by someone to complete the ALS ice bucket challenge, you can choose to either record video of yourself getting dumped with a bucket of ice water or donate online at the ALS website. You nominate other people to complete the challenge, which keeps the ball rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The maverick CEO of Japan's Softbank was early to do it:

http://www.japantoday.com/category/picture-of-the-day/view/ice-bucket-challenge

Here's the heartwarming story how the Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS Awareness started:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11366483

Anything to help charity. Can't fault people who are doing the right thing.

http://time.com/3100272/als-ice-bucket-challenge/

http://www.alsa.org/news/archive/ice-bucket-challenge.html

• As a part of the so-called “ice bucket challenge,” started by a Massachusetts resident who has lived with ALS since 2012 to raise awareness for the disease, after posting their own ice-bucket videos, participants nominate others to get drenched via social media to keep the cycle going.

Ice Bucket Challenge Donations Continue to Exceed Expectations. As of Monday, August 18, The ALS Association has received $15.6 million in donations compared to $1.8 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 18). These donations have come from existing donors and 307,598 new donors to The Association.

Benefactors typically both do dump ice water on themselves and donate. ALS people aren't complaining.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Enurtsol. Those really help anyone on ANN that have no idea what's going on on why the ice bucket challenge is going global. I think it's a good cause. Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
willag wrote:
Once you get nominated by someone to complete the ALS ice bucket challenge, you can choose to either record video of yourself getting dumped with a bucket of ice water or donate online at the ALS website. You nominate other people to complete the challenge, which keeps the ball rolling.

So, we're watching all those who would rather get a bucket of ice than contribute? Confused

(I've often felt the same about other charities, but...)
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
willag wrote:

So, we're watching all those who would rather get a bucket of ice than contribute? Confused

(I've often felt the same about other charities, but...)

Dude read the post, its says most people do both, donate and take the challenge. The challenge increases visibility and awareness, hell most people know nothing outside of ALS other than Lou Gehrig, but now people are talking about it. And then of course most of these celebrities are going to donate.

I am sorry your mother had it, but anything that puts money, especially millions towards a good cause is a good thing in my book.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
So it reached japan now
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Hive mind everybody's doing it mentality. If only life could be this simple.

That's probably why you'll never see the 'read a book of over 200 pages without any pictures challenge'. Laughing
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, I JUST saw this on my campus as I was heading for dinner, and now I hear about it here... aint that something...
wastrel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The NEETs are the only sane ones left.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I think this is a great challenge. The thing is if they just asked for donations or even just talked about it I doubt they would make much money, but this raises a lot of awareness because see all these people dumping ice water on themeselves and you are intrigued and ask why and then you can start talking about ALS.

It's a horrible disease and probably one that most people aren't going to just start talking about. But this gets people taking and that's a good thing.

And of course they are getting donations, the numbers speak for themselves.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd actually forgotten Space Brothers featured a character with ALS. Embarassed

A few guys at work were very cynical and negative towards this challenge (saying that participants most likely knew nothing about ALS both before and after the challenge, and that most people weren't even donating, just jumping on the bandwagon). But for me, you can't argue with results. They've raised a ridiculous amount of money and gotten people talking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2