• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail BD+DVD Part 10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
I'll just never understand this site's issue with the show's awesome soundtrack.
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
I could never give this dub something under at least an A-. Fairy Tail's dub is spectacular and full of many strong performances.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote
I agree the dub is alright, I totally enjoy watching. But I have a knee jerk reaction to putting down Aya Hirano and Miyuki Sawashiro's acts, I think that largely comes from being a big fan of both of them.

Kind of wondering why I was just thinking of Ultear's story as so sad, and then I remembered what the most recent episode was.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 pm Reply with quote
*sees the music of Fairy Tail, one of the most kickass soundtracks in anime, only got a C*

BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Hellwarden wrote:
*sees the music of Fairy Tail, one of the most kickass soundtracks in anime, only got a C*

I agree. But maybe the reviewer just doesn't like Celtic Rock/Metal music? Who knows? I think Fairy Tail's soundtrack is the best I've heard in a long time.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry but a C for the soundtrack? What?!?! That's one of the strong points of Fairy Tail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely one of the most satisfying arcs for this show. Finally seeing some major plotlines reach a resolution was great.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
I could never give this dub something under at least an A-. Fairy Tail's dub is spectacular and full of many strong performances.

Overall scores for Dub and Sub, as always, are not reflective of the acting in either. It's a rating for the overall show given if you watched it in English or Japanese. If, for example, the show is terrible, but the dub is great, overall(dub) still will get an F since the show itself is an F. That's why you always tend to see sub/dub get about the same ratings, if not one slightly higher than the other.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:29 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
I'll just never understand this site's issue with the show's awesome soundtrack.

and considering that this anime version is a lot better than the anime version of "cough" "cough" rave master (and that 4kids style that tokyopop gave the english dub version made things even worse), i couldnt understand the hate for the anime version for this series.especially for some reviewers.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I agree the dub is alright, I totally enjoy watching. But I have a knee jerk reaction to putting down Aya Hirano and Miyuki Sawashiro's acts, I think that largely comes from being a big fan of both of them.

Kind of wondering why I was just thinking of Ultear's story as so sad, and then I remembered what the most recent episode was.

Though considering that spoiler[ she "died" after using arc of time:last ages during the grand magic games] its a really mood point unless hiro does a 180 for that character.

also the dub is definitely better than the sub but i definitely wouldnt give it an F unlike enigmatesky. the only questionmark i would have for the dub version for this arc is of course having hoenheim's (John Swassey) voice as Hades. definitely dont sound evil like unlike the japaneese counterpart. the same for zeref and mavis.

Other than that arc is Definitely a buy!Down with illegal streaming/downloading!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:

and considering that this anime version is a lot better than the anime version of "cough" "cough" rave master (and that 4kids style that tokyopop gave the english dub version made things even worse), i couldnt understand the hate for the anime version for this series.especially for some reviewers.

DuskyPredator wrote:

Though considering that spoiler[ she "died" after using arc of time:last ages during the grand magic games] its a really mood point unless hiro does a 180 for that character.

also the dub is definitely better than the sub but i definitely wouldnt give it an F unlike enigmatesky. the only questionmark i would have for the dub version for this arc is of course having hoenheim's (John Swassey) voice as Hades. definitely don't sound evil like unlike the japaneese counterpart. the same for zeref and mavis.

Other than that arc is Definitely a buy!Down with illegal streaming/downloading!

It's for that reason that I pity everyone who watches this dub on some random anime-streaming site that suddenly switches to the Animax dub around episode 80 or something, making everyone think that Funimation replaced all their voice actors with those god-awful VAs who keep giving the same "reading (badly) more than acting" performances. I don't care if the pitch of Animax-Juvia's voice is closer to Mai Nakahara's than Brina Palencia's is, because that French accent is still terrible! And Animax-Wendy... good lord...
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:

It's for that reason that I pity everyone who watches this dub on some random anime-streaming site that suddenly switches to the Animax dub around episode 80 or something, making everyone think that Funimation replaced all their voice actors with those god-awful VAs who keep giving the same "reading (badly) more than acting" performances. I don't care if the pitch of Animax-Juvia's voice is closer to Mai Nakahara's than Brina Palencia's is, because that French accent is still terrible! And Animax-Wendy... good lord...

which is why i go to their official website. the best way to not get tortured by the animax english dub which is also why i am not to keened on their version of CCS that NIS America is releasing for the US.

Regardless, its as i said the funi version is a lot enjoyable and despite what carl says it would be a shame to not the anime version and read the manga version.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
immblueversion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:24 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
which is why i go to their official website. the best way to not get tortured by the animax english dub which is also why i am not to keened on their version of CCS that NIS America is releasing for the US.

Regardless, its as i said the funi version is a lot enjoyable and despite what carl says it would be a shame to not the anime version and read the manga version.

Well, to be honest, I do very much prefer the manga. The art practically animates itself. Not to say I don't like some of the things the anime does, it's just... there are some things that just aren't worth keeping exactly as it is in the manga. Like, that shot when everyone stands after beating Hades the final time; was having them completely frozen in place while everything else moves around them really what viewers had in mind while reading the manga? It's that sort of thing that Carl focuses on, and it's not something you can really ignore...
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

Well, to be honest, I do very much prefer the manga. The art practically animates itself. Not to say I don't like some of the things the anime does, it's just... there are some things that just aren't worth keeping exactly as it is in the manga. Like, that shot when everyone stands after beating Hades the final time; was having them completely frozen in place while everything else moves around them really what viewers had in mind while reading the manga? It's that sort of thing that Carl focuses on, and it's not something you can really ignore...

yea but most of though shonen type action series does it. naruto does it from time to time. even bleach,one piece and attack of titan have those types of scenes so its not just only fairy tail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1