• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Takeshi Obata

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Was it tough to make that visually exciting?

One of the things I admire most about Obata is how he can make dynamic scenes out of seemingly dull and lifeless scenarios. He creates pages where characters don't move a muscle and yet you still feel like they've bounced to Jupiter and back. To me, where this talent shines the most is when he manages to prop up the MANY drooping scenes in Baukuman. The majority of the story is ridiculously predictable and yet his artwork somehow convinced me that something unexpected and exciting just might happen if I continued to read.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interviews despite it being short, but it'll do for me, ANN. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Thanks for the interviews despite it being short, but it'll do for me, ANN. Razz

Yeah - the average length of time we're given at convention interviews is 20-30 minutes (and even those feel short), this one was 15. We'll always take these opportunities but we're trying to arrange longer interviews with talent via email.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Yeah - the average length of time we're given at convention interviews is 20-30 minutes (and even those feel short), this one was 15. We'll always take these opportunities but we're trying to arrange longer interviews with talent via email.

Oh I see, well I praise you guys for doing your best. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I LOL'd upon learning his editor is named Yoshida. I know it's a common name, but wasn't that the name of Hiramaru's editor in Bakuman?
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I LOL'd upon learning his editor is named Yoshida. I know it's a common name, but wasn't that the name of Hiramaru's editor in Bakuman?

Bakuman's Koji Yoshida is actually based on this guy, and most of the editors who show up in that series have real-life namesakes. The real Yoshida looks pretty similar to his manga counterpart, as you can see here.
Apashi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I know I've been posting this everywhere but-
He is my life-long manga idol. Meeting him was one of the highlights of my life! Thanks for this interview! Very Happy
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Bakuman's Koji Yoshida is actually based on this guy, and most of the editors who show up in that series have real-life namesakes. The real Yoshida looks pretty similar to his manga counterpart, as you can see here.

Thanks for that! He's certainly got the hair. Now I wonder if he's as devious in RL...
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Thank you to the organizers for these interviews! They're really fun to read. I love listening to author motivations and such surrounding their life and work~
And I'm curious. Are there questions or things that get cut from the final public interview (for whatever reason)? I was asked to cut non-informative chatter from a brief interview with Maruyama Masao-san at Otakon when I contributed to another news site back in 2010, so I'm curious how the interview was conducted here and how it was transcribed to the site for the public.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Was this interview spoken entirely in English or was there a translator present?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Meygaera wrote:
Was this interview spoken entirely in English or was there a translator present?

They probably have a translator, I don't think Obata speak English at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1