• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga Release Newsletter?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larinelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

I hope this is the right place to post - I did look for a general question thread but found non. Confused

As of now I have been buying most of my manga in germany - as such I have been dealing with german publishers. I do buy english manga from time to time but don't have a very good overview of their publishers. (E.g. Viz doesn't even give me access to their website etc.)

Now that I am moving back home to New Zealand I have my mind set on getting fully into the english market.
Basically I am looking for a place where I can get some form of newsletter (or a website where i can go and check) what new manga releases are coming and the program of the following months etc.
I found similar things on some of the websites but never what I'm really looking for. I am also not too familiar with this website and always seem to get lost in the sheer amount of news haha does anyone perhaps know whether ALL new english manga releases are annuonced here? It often seems to me that only the most popular ones are mentioned.

Would be great if someone could share some info on this as I will be relying on the english market from now on. Smile
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
There is a General Manga Questions & References Thread near the top of this forum.Wink

The closest thing that I know of to what you want is this search result at Amazon.
I used that regularly because I actually was keeping a thread for future manga releases in the Mania forums. Unfortunately the Mania anime and manga forums have been gone for nearly a year.

I am not sure why I never started a thread for it here, but I suspect that by the time that I got involved enough with the forums here to consider it I was so far behind with the data that it seemed like too much work.
Would there be any interest in such a thread here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I think pretty much all the publishers post their upcoming releases on Facebook and Twitter (some use tumblr as well), so if you follow them on there you'll get an idea. Yen Press also have an email newsletter with the month's releases in.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Best thing I could suggest would be to basically compile your own list. I just go to RightStuf's New and Changed Items page, and when I see something that I'm collecting added, I note the release date. Other than that, I follow Yen and Kodansha on twitter (since what I buy is mainly theirs), and they make new announcements/releases there.
lys

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I also use Amazon to check for new releases months ahead (though I refuse to buy from them), and make notes on my computer calendar for releases I mean to check out/pick up.

MangaBookshelf does a post every week on Thursdays listing manga releases for the upcoming week (+commentary! Look for "Manga the Week of [date]" as the title of the articles). I enjoy reading the posts, and often discover titles which had escaped my notice or memory.

ANN itself does a new-release list every week on Tuesdays (haven't seen today's yet) for the current week, as seen here. But it can get lost amid all the other news if you're not paying close attention or checking the site multiple times a day... :)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Each month Diamond Comics puts out a catalog of all comics to be issued two months in the future. It is called "Previews". This includes all current manga publishers. Actually with manga they actually get issued about two and a half months in the future, depending on publisher.

This is used by the direct market comic shops to order their stock. Most shops will sell you a copy and let you special order from it. It is fairly accurate, but not everything that is solicited is actually shipped. Sometimes the publisher cancels a specific title and occasionally they go out of business (Tokyo Pop and CMX) and cancel pending volumes.

I'm not sure it is available in New Zealand though. You'll have to check.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
manga publishers themselves like to show their monthly releases via social media so following em on twitter helps keep track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1