• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Release Imported Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works Blu-ray Set

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a different company than the ones who released the first version of FSN, right?

EDIT: Also really surprised to see a simultaneous release. Wonder why they chose to do it that way.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
Unless the dollar to yen exchange rate drops by the time March rolls around, you're better off importing this. I don't think a translation book is worth the extra 100+ dollars.
Zilan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote
Sorry Aniplex. I have to make my car payment that month.

If you could maybe release it without all that extra physical stuff, in like says a normal size chipboard art box with some decent on disc extras, and maybe Saber and Rin in their PJ's on one side of the art box for around 100-150 bucks I'd totally support you. Thanks.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Since when are five discs necessary for 13 episodes? Wouldn't everything be able to fit in three discs or perhaps even two?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Amazon.co.jp for me. Aniplex USA through RightStuf have been wacky for me since OreImo.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:50 am Reply with quote
While it a offers quite a bit of good stuff, the price is a bit daunting
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a different company than the ones who released the first version of FSN, right?

EDIT: Also really surprised to see a simultaneous release. Wonder why they chose to do it that way.

Yes, different companies. Geneon had licensed it first, and eventually transferred their license to FUNimation, but the rights expired for them some time ago. Sentai currently has the old Fate TV series, as well as the UBW movie.

Aniplex is handling UBW TV (and previously did Fate/Zero). Aniplex frequently does simultaneous import releases before they do proper domestic ones. This is pretty much what everyone expected them to do.
midori kou

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:53 am Reply with quote
I like the Fate series like most anime fans, but that price... Man, that's steep. I can buy several figures with that money.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Unless the dollar to yen exchange rate drops by the time March rolls around, you're better off importing this. I don't think a translation book is worth the extra 100+ dollars.
Yep. To quote this post from The Fandom Post...
Quote:
Here's where we're at as of right now:

LE
Amazon Japan listed MSRP: ¥42,120
Amazon Japan listed discounted price (26% off): ¥31,168
Actual Amazon Japan discounted price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥28,859
Shipping to North America: ¥800
Handling for one Blu-ray disc item: ¥300
Total: ¥29,959
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $251.17

LE w/ Amazon Japan exclusive tapestry
Amazon Japan listed price (full LE MSRP, no discount): ¥42,120
Actual Amazon Japan price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥39,000
Total: ¥40,100
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $336.18

So, really what it comes down to for some folks is this (compared to the LE at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet and a yet-to-be-detailed wall scroll worth an additional $162.81 (give or take) to you?

Alternately, if you really want something to hang on your wall (compared to the LE with tapestry at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet worth an additional $77.80 (give or take) to you?
That is the difference here, it's more expensive than Fate/Zero S1, and that used an even worse exchange rate, around $1=80 JPY when the yen was strong.

Really wanting English translations for the production booklet, but that price difference, this is going to be a tough decision for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pesky.Soda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:10 am Reply with quote
ZeArNkN wrote:
Since when are five discs necessary for 13 episodes? Wouldn't everything be able to fit in three discs or perhaps even two?

Japan cares not for your 'sense' or technological advances Laughing

They still release things in volumes there. It is extremely uncommon to see more than 3 episodes of anything on a disc (Blu or DVD, 45 min. drama or 23 min. anime). Also, more discs = more money. Maybe on the rerererererelease they'll get down to that few discs. This isn't Funimation we're talking about here.
Soaringfalcon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
hahahaha

Last edited by Soaringfalcon on Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
*points and laughs* "Ha ha!"
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
*sighs* yet again the american fans get ripped off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Dfens

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
Here we go again, ok people try to get a clue this is a "Import" so it's the Japanese Release of a hot show that has a fan base willing to put up the money to own it at the same time as Japan. So of course it's going to be expensive.

They could have put no English subtitles on it and made us English speaking fans wait about 2-3 years for a domestic release. Then no one would be complaining as usual about Aniplex. Be grateful that they even bothered to put subtitles so that you don't have to learn Japanese to enjoy it.

How is anyone surprised it's the same price as the Fate Zero import from a few years ago, only difference is the Yen to Dollar Exchange rate is much better now. So if you import it from Japan you can knock the $400.00 dollar price tag down to $250.00 or so.

So if you can wait a few years you'll be able to buy the US release at around $300.00 dollars for the whole show just like for Fate Zero which I did. I could have bought the previous series at $700.00 bucks but didn't want to own it that badly for that kind of money not because it was a rip off.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:54 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
Yep. To quote this post from The Fandom Post...
Quote:
Here's where we're at as of right now:

LE
Amazon Japan listed MSRP: ¥42,120
Amazon Japan listed discounted price (26% off): ¥31,168
Actual Amazon Japan discounted price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥28,859
Total: ¥29,959
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $251.17

LE w/ Amazon Japan exclusive tapestry
Amazon Japan listed price (full LE MSRP, no discount): ¥42,120
Actual Amazon Japan price (less 8% Japanese tax): ¥39,000
Total: ¥40,100
Total in USD (exchange rate at the time of this posting is 119.28): $336.18

So, really what it comes down to for some folks is this (compared to the LE at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet and a yet-to-be-detailed wall scroll worth an additional $162.81 (give or take) to you?

Alternately, if you really want something to hang on your wall (compared to the LE with tapestry at Amazon Japan): is the translation booklet worth an additional $77.80 (give or take) to you?
That is the difference here, it's more expensive than Fate/Zero S1, and that used an even worse exchange rate, around $1=80 JPY when the yen was strong.

Really wanting English translations for the production booklet, but that price difference, this is going to be a tough decision for me.

That's where I'm tied up right now too. I already have a pre-order in for the Amazon.jp one, but I really do want the English Translation booklet. My main question now is just whether or not the on disk extras are going to have subtitles(for either set) and whether that translation booklet is going to include the novel along with the 50 page booklet. Super conflicted right now.... Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6