• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Son of a Gunbuster

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
navycherub

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Nice article. I have yet to see Diebuster but I do plan on doing that in the very near future. For further reading, animekritik did a seven part piece in 2011 on imperialism in Gunbuster that I found very fascinating.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see the Gunbuster BD released here, since it added some new science lessons and I'd hope it'd have those Renewal EX shorts which were pretty cool. I got nothing to say about Gunbuster beyond it being a rare 10/10 for me, and no criticism of weaker the first episodes or tirade about why it's cliched and dated or that the budget for the sixth episode might have been low due to the final battle being reduced to production stills (and that it's in B&W, still no definitive answer on that) will ever change my affection.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:07 pm Reply with quote
and no mention on the biggest link between deibuster and gunbuster, the one that makes the posibility of a sequel all the more interesting ?

spoiler[
both die buster and gunbuster end at the same time. so a continuation can easily have characters form both.
]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I bought Gunbuster when Bandai Visual first brought it out. Reviews pushed it as one of those shows everyone needed to watch. I watched it back then and was more than a bit horrified. For me, at least, the combination of cute anime girl and hard core Science Fiction time slip/warfare didn't work. At the time I felt it to be reminiscent of Joe Haldeman's Forever War.

Recently I realized that I could not remember any specifics of the show except for my dislike and I gave my copy away.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
That's bizarre, I could've swore that Discotek licensed all of it: Gunbuster, Diebuster, AND Gunbuster vs Diebuster. Apparently not.

For what it's worth, since Gunbuster is still being held by Bandai Visual USA (or the license is expired, whatever the case may be), that means it will soon (sooner rather than later, at least) be available for someone else to pick it up. Hopefully it'll be someone that's willing to put it on on BD with BOTH Japanese audio tracks (the original and the redone one) along with possibly constructing a M&E track to go with a dub.

spoiler[You will never see the pubes from the original release in HD guys; There isn't any hope for them, don't even ask.]
krelyan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't know that the old BV release was back down to reasonable prices. Last I saw it was OOP and going for triple digits.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Just got me the Gunbuster BR movie during Right Stuf's mega sale. That sucker sold out twice that I saw during it too.
akari_house

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Not to get too picky, but speaking as an anime fan old-timer, "the spinning computer tape reels and corded telephones in the background" were retro even when the original OVA came out, I remember noticing them as obviously deliberate anachronisms (along with plenty of others) when watching it back when it was first released in Japanese and commenting on it at the local anime club at the time.

Anno and company were constantly inserting hidden in-jokes and call-backs to older anime and tokusatsu even during the series' more serious moments (a look through the artbooks reveals details such as a space drydocks actually being made up partly of model kit sprue sheets, a close look at the Gunbuster's transformation reveals a number of hidden weapons from other super robots nestled inside its mechanisms, and so on).

I've always seen Gunbuster, like many of Gainax's works, to be a mix of homage and straight-faced satire (even the climatic scene with ripping out the "heart" comes from a 1970s super robot series, if I recall correctly). In many ways, it's a like a continued extension of their work they started with the Daicon films.

edit: corded phones may not have been anachronistic yet, but IIRC they were dial phones...in any case a lot of older hardware like that and analog clocks and such all seemed to be ways they were trying to evoke older tokusatsu shows in the background.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Yup, Gunbuster is good stuff, I still have yet to watch the sequel though, thanks for reminding me that I got to get on that soon Mike!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ah if i remember correctly , the original gunbuster did have an english dub. and that was when manga ent had the license back then. i watched it when manga ent had posted some of it licenses like red hawk , and orguus 02 to a website called sputnik7 back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GEO9875

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
ah if i remember correctly , the original gunbuster did have an english dub. and that was when manga ent had the license back then. i watched it when manga ent had posted some of it licenses like red hawk , and orguus 02 to a website called sputnik7 back then.
Interesting. Seems like the DVD available on Right Stuf and Amazon is sub only, a shame really since i like dubs. Embarassed
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
ah if i remember correctly , the original gunbuster did have an english dub. and that was when manga ent had the license back then.

The Manga Entertainment edition was just a re-release of the U.S. Renditions subtitled-only VHS in cheaper packaging.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Gunbuster just isn't the same without the Chariots of Fire ripoff music in the training montage.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I get the reason why Gunbuster couldn't be dubbed, but even at this day I'm still baffled why Diebuster didn't get a dub when it came out years ago. It had all the elements that could appeal to fans back then (maybe even be on Adult Swim), and it shouldn't have that missing M&E tracks issue, right?
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
ah if i remember correctly , the original gunbuster did have an english dub. and that was when manga ent had the license back then.

The Manga Entertainment edition was just a re-release of the U.S. Renditions subtitled-only VHS in cheaper packaging.

that i know, but when they were partnering with the sputnik7 website, they showed episodes that have english dub along with the red hawk movie and the orguss 02 OVAs. but it was done so long ago during the days of the windows media player 9 series you would have to be either a die hard otaku or a fanatic of manga ent at that time like myself to even know about that let alone sputnik7 .

dont know why they never released it on VHS when they had it. especially when manga stated during one of their catalogs for one of the ghost in the shell vhs that i had back in 1996 that the vhs version along with orguss, guyver , mad bull 34 and devilman would be in japaneese, english ,and with eng subs.

Last edited by jr240483 on Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4