• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Anime Unveils More Staff

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
Anyone with some knowledge about this anime, could you tell me if I needed to watch the Disappearance of haruhi suzumiya to watch this one?
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
I've read some of the manga and as far as I can remember, you don't need to know anything about the Disappearance, as long as you know it's set in an alternate reality.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the Haruhi TV series but this one looks like it will be a massive fail. I guess the Haruhi franchise is already dead, at this point.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
I enjoyed the Haruhi TV series but this one looks like it will be a massive fail. I guess the Haruhi franchise is already dead, at this point.

I'll have to disagree with you as someone who's read and quite enjoyed the Yuki-chan manga.

Also for the gent asking if they need to watch the movie to get this new anime. The answer is no, but you should the movie was great.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
CRUZINFORIT

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:20 am Reply with quote
I
AM
SO
[expletive]
HYPE

*vibrating*
12skippy21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:
Anyone with some knowledge about this anime, could you tell me if I needed to watch the Disappearance of haruhi suzumiya to watch this one?

It is referenced a couple of times in places but becomes a standard romcom over time. I think reading a basic plot outline would be sufficient though it is a great movie so you should watch it.

I have not read much of this particular manga but I will likely pass out over the abundance of Yuki, if they portray her as isolated and caring as in the movie anyway. Bye bye world.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Tatsuya Katou (Medaka Box, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya, Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere) composes music

Yes. I loved Horizon's BGMs.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
I assume that Michelle Ruff would love to reprise her role as Yuki in this series were it to get dubbed. It would really be a treat to the series' dub fans if it could happen.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:

There is no reference to the events that happened in the Disappearance of Haruhi. It just took those versions of the characters and treated it all as its own thing. There are things that happen (or happen later) that already makes it near impossible to even think that the events of the original Disappearance story can fit within the story of this manga.

I will say that there are some references/easter eggs in this series that, if you know about the original Haruhi series, are fun little additions. So, there are references to some events that happen in the original (one that comes to mind is a mention of Remote Island Syndrome), but they all just happen in the background and have no impact on the Yuki-chan story.

It seems like some events from the original series happen in this universe too, but they don't seem to involve the main characters of this series. Meaning, Kyon/Yuki/Asakura don't play parts in events they were involved in during the original Haruhi story.

I'm a Haruhi fan. Have the novels, manga and anime. Got into the anime in 2012, and have since read through all novels and recently finished reading through the manga. I started to collect the Yuki manga due to having seen the Disappearance movie.

This anime will be the first time I've actually read the source material before the anime. So, I'm pretty hyped for this anime! While I'd love this to be 2 cour, I won't have much issue if it is one. I do believe that the first arc of this series can be done in 12 episodes.
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18 am Reply with quote
Animelover12313 wrote:

Like others have said, it's not necessary. However, the movie is one of the best parts of the Haruhi anime (and the novels), and has some of the best directing I've seen in an anime film ever. I highly recommend you don't spoil it online and go watch it yourself because much of the movie is deliberate mystery build-up and it's quite effective.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Thanks everyone for the responses :3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1