• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia API.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
Hey dormcat you hear that? All the effort you put on the releases is being noticed! Smile

But as far as making that info available through the API, I'm afraid that's not going to be possible. While the releases are nominally classified under Encyclopedia, in reality they are on a completely different backend, dating to before the Encyclopedia. Integrating the releases into the API would require development time which is just not available at the moment.

So for the moment if you really need release data I would recommend scraping. Please use a user-agent string with "bot" in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
aydin1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Hey dormcat you hear that? All the effort you put on the releases is being noticed! Smile

But as far as making that info available through the API, I'm afraid that's not going to be possible. While the releases are nominally classified under Encyclopedia, in reality they are on a completely different backend, dating to before the Encyclopedia. Integrating the releases into the API would require development time which is just not available at the moment.

So for the moment if you really need release data I would recommend scraping. Please use a user-agent string with "bot" in it.

Ah, okay - that's fair enough then, I can't argue with that... I wouldn't expect you to re-write a large part of your backend just for my request!

I'll see how I get on with scraping the pages. Thanks Smile
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:31 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:

Jinki: Extend was added way before I started handling releases, but thanks anyway. Anime smile

And congratulations to you. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
sanzo12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, is it possible when fetching details specially in anime, to add additional xml values like: 'status' example: 'status: Finished Airing, On Air, Upcoming' and related anime ann_ids? Thanks.
DoddyUK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
sanzo12 wrote:
Hi guys, is it possible when fetching details specially in anime, to add additional xml values like: 'status' example: 'status: Finished Airing, On Air, Upcoming' and related anime ann_ids? Thanks.

On a similar note, would it be possible (within reason) to create a report detailing series that are currently airing (or due to air this/next season)?

Finally, thank you Dan42 for your help and advice over the past few months. I finally uploaded my Android app onto the Play store last night. Hope you all enjoy it Smile
Curaxa

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

After getting sick of other agents for Plex Media Server, I decided to dive into it and write my own. I wanted to give my hand at the ANN API and loving it. Gives me almost everything I want. However, there is one request I have that would help greatly. I don't know if it is possible which how the current database is setup, but would it be possible to, in the XML document, mark which one is the Kanji and which one is the Romaji title in Japanese. Also, can the API possibly output the Japanese episode titles and the air date. I see they are in the database already, getting access to that through the API would be amazing. If Dan42 (if sitll in charge) or whoever else is involved wants a hand throwing some of this in the API, I would be interested in giving a hand to help evolve it. I know I am a bit late to the game and no futher development may be happening, but hey, thought I would ask.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Curaxa wrote:
I don't know if it is possible which how the current database is setup, but would it be possible to, in the XML document, mark which one is the Kanji and which one is the Romaji title in Japanese.

Currently it is impossible since they are both simply entered as Japanese. Even if that was to change, every title would need to be updated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Not sure whether it would help Curaxa's project or an automated sweep to update the database, but couldn't something be set to just sample the title? If the characters all fall within 0-62 (for the sake of simplicity) then it is Romaji and if they fall out in the extended sets then it's Kanji. Maybe a 80-90% tolerance to sift out numbers or accented letters.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:34 am Reply with quote
Thought occurred to me, but I couldn't figure out how it would work so I dropped it. There are also mixed language titles (although romanised titles SHOULD only contain alphanumerics, macroned letters and standard punctuation, plus colons and dashes per the entry instructions)
Curaxa

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I was going to run the test locally since I have the computing power to spare and it isn't already in the database. Once I get it worked out I would be more than willing to share and potentially it can be ran against the current database for an update. Nice to see others thinking about it too. I was thinking a simple regex test for alphanumeric and special characters to see if it is a romaji title or not. Can't presume not on a fail, but good way to eliminate what I don't want. Is there currently any ways to get the Japanese titles of the episodes using the API?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Thought occurred to me, but I couldn't figure out how it would work so I dropped it. There are also mixed language titles (although romanised titles SHOULD only contain alphanumerics, macroned letters and standard punctuation, plus colons and dashes per the entry instructions)

Maybe something like (but coded properly for database of choice):
1 get it to return UTF+8 code (or equivalent) for first character
2a if code=U+0020, skip
2b else count=count+1
3a if code=U+0021 thru U+007e then language=language+1
3b else language=language-1
4a if end of title
5a if language>=count*0.8 then Romaji
5b elseif language<=count*-.08 then Kanji
5c else pass and/or flag for audit/editor review
4b else process next character
OtakuKing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Hi!
I need to retrieve the rating (and maybe the number of voters) of an anime entry from the ANN Encyclopedia. But I cannot find the documentation on how to do that with the API.
I'm writing an addon for a certain popular media center that displays the rating of each anime from ANN. Currently it takes the rating score from IMDB like it does for movies, but for anime IMDB ratings are totally unreliable. For anime the ANN ratings are the most trustworthy on the web (thanks to the voters, a great community of historical users!), but I cannot find a way to query those from the Encyclopedia API.

Can anybody help me with that? thanks.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ratings? Yeah, that's easy enough. I've added a <ratings> tag. The bayesian_score attribute is not available for titles that have very few votes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gudvinr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hello, API developers.

Can you add section with related anime/manga id's to api response?
Because now scraping is only way to get that info from anime/manga pages of encyclopedia. That's not so hard, but is not a good solution, anyway.

If you already have such plans, tell me about estimated time, please. If you haven't such plans at all, explain why not.

Thanks.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
Related anime/manga? Hey, why not.

cdn.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/api.xml?title=3235

News tags are <related-prev> and <related-next>
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5