• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lasting Legacy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I better get my butt over to Nintendo Club and see if I can empty out my rewards.

Hey, what's the Langrisser series without Urushihara? He's been the main guy since the series has been in existence. I'm actually surprised that they are changing. Well, I guess it's time. I've never played the series but you gotta admit it has as much history as any other strategy JRPG. But glad it's coming to the 3DS.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks but I'll stick to the 3DSXL I have now. It works fine by me so long as it keeps playing games.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see what deals on Club Nintendo I can try and take up on, but the site's been down for maintenance since the announcement. So it's not like anyone can take advantage of anything right now anyway. :p
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Be aware that The Legend of Legacy is extremely unforgiving and only the most dedicated players will beat it. It also has a nasty case of fake longevity due to the difficulty, I've beaten it but it took far more than the 30 hours suggested, I finished it in 90 hours 3x the suggested time. The graphics are very pretty though and everything is easy to figure out, there are some steep framedips as well, but it's just the brutal difficulty that hurts this wonderful game so much.
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I better get my butt over to Nintendo Club and see if I can empty out my rewards.
Good luck. I've tried every day since they went up and haven't been able to login.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Good luck. I've tried every day since they went up and haven't been able to login.

Yeah, I just went over and it seems that folks are hammering the servers trying to buy stuff. It's like rushing to the store on a snow day.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I managed to get in last night to check my balance (I have /just/ enough for the games I'm looking at, nothing more), but it kicked me out soon after. Someone I know lost 40 points because it kicked him as he was registering a game. It didn't give him the points, but says the code has already been used.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I wished Atlus had brought over Kenka Bancho 4 and 5 I loved the 3rd game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Joystiq: Another one bites the dust. Damn...

What was the stated reason for its shutdown exactly?

Monster Boy and the Wizard of Booze: That title is ridiculous as hell, but seeing a revival of the Monster World series does make me very happy.

Quote:
The new artist, Hiroshi Kaieda

Wow, Gyrozetter's original character designer is doing the art for a new Langrisser? Something about that (plus how it sounds) makes me smile, though I'm sure Urushihara fans are none too pleased.

Quote:
like a threatened sea cucumber barfing up its own innards

This comment came out funnier to me than you made it sound. XD
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:

Joystiq: Another one bites the dust. Damn...

What was the stated reason for its shutdown exactly?

Its parent company, AOL, is getting out of that business.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and that's because it's so sidequest-heavy. It is essentially an apocalyptic slice-of-life more so than fighting bosses and saving the world. Majora's Mask also happens to be the first game in the franchise to get a stage in Smash Bros. dedicated specifically to it, which I realized as it took until Smash Bros. 3DS for Ocarina of Time to get a Smash Bros. stage.

I'll get Majora's Mask 3D if all goes well. I'm still a bit annoyed when I went through Majora's Mask on the Collectors Disc, I did most of the northern Termina stuff and western Termina stuff before playing the Song of Time, and with four hours left on the final day, the game froze. I hope the 3DS remake will make the conveyor belts in Sakon's hideout less annoying though.

Majora's Mask seems to be when the Zelda Cycle got started, where a Zelda game gets slammed by fans when it comes out, only to get more appreciated as time goes on. There's no denying that the game was a lower-priority project though, with a very quick development cycle and pushed out the door within a year.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
So dissappointing that joystiq has shut down. It looks like it will still live in some form on engadget, but I doubt it will be the same. Plus I'm going to miss their sister sites as well.

As for club nintendo, they really hit it out of the park with their last hurrah. I was expected a dozen games or so, not ten times that number.

If you're still having trouble getting to the site, try this link directly to the rewards page: https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do

Here's a well made and organized list of all the rewards I found on reddit: http://i.imgur.com/vXEWqEb.png

If you're just looking at the games btw, you should keep in mind that the games that cost more coins are the better deals compared to just buying them. For example, 3 NES games on the wiiU are 600 coins but cost just $15 all together, but the Wonderful 101 costs $30 for the same number of coins. So if you're short on coins and buy on the eshop, you may want to compare prices first.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's no denying that the game was a lower-priority project though, with a very quick development cycle and pushed out the door within a year.

I'm not sure where you get the impression that it was a low priority or pushed out quite that fast. It was made reusing assets from Ocarina of Time and developed so that it could be released in shorter time compared to Ocarina which took 5 years since the previous Zelda game. It also came out about a year and a half after Ocarina. Not long for a Zelda game, but certainly not rushed. They went in a different direction to cut development time and because they had to figure out a way to follow up a game like Ocarina. It never read as low priority to me.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Monster Boy! What is the secret of your power?
Monster Boy! Won't you take me far away from the Gamer Gate, yeah!

I can't afford the Majora's Mask remake--a shame, as it's my favorite Zelda. I'm also surprised that the new Langrisser doesn't have Urushihara's character designs. Provided, I had no idea he was still around, but it's weird not seeing him work with the series.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I'm not sure where you get the impression that it was a low priority or pushed out quite that fast. It was made reusing assets from Ocarina of Time and developed so that it could be released in shorter time compared to Ocarina which took 5 years since the previous Zelda game. It also came out about a year and a half after Ocarina. Not long for a Zelda game, but certainly not rushed. They went in a different direction to cut development time and because they had to figure out a way to follow up a game like Ocarina. It never read as low priority to me.

It felt that way to me because it was made so quickly and reusing assets. Ordinarily, Nintendo's games will have a different engine even for sequels, or an engine from a completely different game will be used. This doesn't necessarily create bad games, considering Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, just that it felt like it was uncharacteristic of Nintendo unless there were other games the development team had to work on.

I feel the same way about Super Mario Galaxy 2 and about every New Super Mario Bros. game after the first one, even though they are all at least decent games.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I managed to get in last night to check my balance (I have /just/ enough for the games I'm looking at, nothing more), but it kicked me out soon after. Someone I know lost 40 points because it kicked him as he was registering a game. It didn't give him the points, but says the code has already been used.

Happened with my 3DSXL. Have them check their To-Do List.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2