• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Children of the Sea

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I purchased the first two volumes when it came out years ago. While I agree the art is beautiful, I seem to remember that the characters were nothing special. They didn't "grab" me and make me want to continue. I'll have to give it another chance. Thanks for the review.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Shaenon K. Garrity wrote:
Things got clearer for me on the second reading, and I'm pretty sure I could tell you what everyone's deal is, but the manga isn't particularly interested in explanations.

I know you have to avoid spoilers and such in the column, but I would be curious to hear your more specific take on the series.

I only got the chance to read the series because it was at my local library, and then only sporadically because they rarely had the right volumes and school kept getting in the way. I'd really love to revisit it, because the art and mood of the series are truly unique and breathtaking.
albanian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have all five volumes, but am somewhat shame-faced that I still haven't finished the set. (I'm currently about halfway.) The art is indeed glorious - the covers alone are worth the price, but I just can't quite get a handle on the narrative. Perhaps this will be the spur.
gedata

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Fine, I'll get it
Hakajin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I LOVE "Children of the Sea!" So happy to see it get some attention! Actually, I was surprised to see it published in the US at all; I originally read it years ago when I used to read scanslations (heheh). The art is gorgeous, but what I especially love about it is the earthy, natural tone it has to it. It's like you can almost feel the salty sea air in the pages. And I loved how the mystery in it felt so organic. Like, the sort of magic you could believe really exists, hidden where people can't find it. "xxxHolic" (another manga I love, for different reasons) goes on and on about how that kind of world exists, but most of the occurrences in that series have a more... fantastic feel to it. "Children of the Sea" got the feel of that kind of magic down better than just about any other series I've ever seen ("Aria" may tie with it, but there's a decidedly different tone there). Some might accuse it of navel gazing... but one thing I like about it is that, while the characters offer up theories, the story never really decides on any of them. I could have used a BIT more explanation in the end, but...
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For a minute there i thought that cover showed Riely, Huey and Jasmen from The Boondocks Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
For a minute there i thought that cover showed Riely, Huey and Jasmen from The Boondocks Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shterraarson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Nagi no Asakura comes to mind.
UtenaNicoletta

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
A late reply, but I checked out this manga based on this article and I'm glad I did. Thanks for giving it its due press.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1