• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Tokyo Ghoul √A English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
really happy with Tatum as Tsukiyama. it will be fantastic
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
YAY! OVER 200 POSTS!!!! AND ILL POST HUNDREDS MORE TILL I CHANGE THE WORLD!!!!!!! Cool

Now this is kinda more pleasing. Though majority of the characters are motionless and covering their face so its hard to judge what there overall performance can be. "You.....Are an.......Idiot" felt really broken and robotic. And the performances it did seem dull given its an action clip. But its averagley okay.

Really like Todd's try but overall the script is a complete read through making, THE COMPANY WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED! Scripts sound and feel like Breaking Bad quality daialouge. Well, of course they already are. But Funimation has a clear excuse to do that given there speed racer pace.

This is the most pleasing. But I'll once again keep interest low. Since above all, Parasyte is the better show of this genre. NOW THE COMPANY WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED! MUST TAKE IT!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd have been more surprised if anyone other than Austin Tindle was cast as Kaneki.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this is how I'd like Kaneki to sound, but I can't tell myself otherwise what I expected so it's fine for now. I've never heard of Austin before, but I'm sure they picked someone who's good when it comes to Kaneki's freak outs in the future lol. I just imagined his voice a little higher. I haven't watched TG since the last season so my memory might be off.

I'm just surprised they picked Todd to play Ayato.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I've never heard of Austin before, but I'm sure they picked someone who's good when it comes to Kaneki's freak outs in the future lol.

You must've not been watching many dubs lately, because Austin is quickly becoming FUNi's new "golden boy". He played the lead roles in Guilty Crown, Is This a Zombie?, and Ben-to, as well as a major character in Index and Railgun. And he's slated to play some pretty big parts in D-Frag and Assassination Classroom as well.
roserocksrapidly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I think Kaneki's voice sounds good, but it just doesn't suit him though. Kaneki sounds younger than that, so it's kinda weird.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
KENZICHI wrote:
I've never heard of Austin before, but I'm sure they picked someone who's good when it comes to Kaneki's freak outs in the future lol.

You must've not been watching many dubs lately, because Austin is quickly becoming FUNi's new "golden boy". He played the lead roles in Guilty Crown, Is This a Zombie?, and Ben-to, as well as a major character in Index and Railgun. And he's slated to play some pretty big parts in D-Frag and Assassination Classroom as well.

Lol, nope I haven't Anime hyper Good for him though for landing so many roles.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I`m not fond of Kaneki`s voice, but I would probably end up watching because of tsukiyama`s and some others VAs.
...Also Uta`s voice hasn`t been announced yet?
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:26 pm Reply with quote
What about the first season? They licensed it too. Are the same people dubbing it?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:36 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
What about the first season? They licensed it too. Are the same people dubbing it?

Same people. The dubbing of season 1 is occuring at pretty much the same time as season 2.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Were I to invest in watching this, it would be mainly because Josh and Monica wrote the dub script. I choose this specifically because those two were the leads in Infinite Stratos and I loved their voices in (mainly because my preferred ships are the lead guy and lead girl).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
that has absolutely no correlation, but whatever floats your boat, I guess
RingoPanda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I just watched it. Overall the voices were okay... Even though I also imagined Kaneki's voice as a bit higher I haven't really heard Austin Tindle much before, so I'm interested to see where he takes it.
I'm wondering if in the scenes with "normal" Kaneki he'll change it up as well.

Tatum as Tsukiyama will be fun... Laughing
iCards

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Not really surprised Austin is Kaneki. After the final fight of the first season "Accelerator" is the perfect choice.
#Immie93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:56 am Reply with quote
Awesome stuff in the dub. Wasn't worried about Austin Tindle after having heard him as Shu in Guilty Crown and Marco in Attack on Titan I know he can be Kaneki easily. His voice sent chills down my spine when he's white haired Kaneki, but Tindle can play the upbeat version of him because Marco had that kind of upbeat attitude in AoT.
The rest of the cast is the same. Didn't think there was anyone I heard who didn't fit the role they were playing.
Overall I can't see a reason not to watch the dub, it does the job it needs to do and I definitely enjoyed watching that first episode again in English. Nice to be able to continue watching the sub and begin Root A again dubbed. Double Ghoul fun each week!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2