Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Apocalypse Meow


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gina Szanboti



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 8553
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Did they publish this in l-r format? The sequence about the Aussie/English seems to be l-r, but the Japanese/Korean panels below that seem to be r-l. These others I could track either way, though they mostly seemed l-r.

Edit: never mind. The 2004 review answered my question. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Levonr



Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 691
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I actually prefer the American title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I disagree about the title change.
I like "Apocalypse Meow" because it does make me think of "Apocalypse Now" and gives me an idea of what the series is about.
Is "Cat Shit One" supposed to make me think of something, other than checking the bottom of my shoe?

As for the manga, I had been avoiding it because I do not really care for stories about the Vietnam war. But I am a bit of a military geek, so I might give it a try.

Though I disagree about the title I like the review.
It is informative and entertaining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113
Collector ExtraordinaireCollector Extraordinaire


Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 7215
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I found that, since I am not a military otaku, Apocalypse Meow was kind of a bit too much for me. I definitely learned something from it, but damn was there way too much information for someone who doesn't care about military stuff. I think those people would enjoy it a lot more though, but dammit, I want to read a manga, not a text book!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Asterisk-CGY



Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 378
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Also that short that was animated set more modern day. Pretty nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jojothepunisher



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 799
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I was literally laughing my ass off when Jason mentioned the name of the original manga.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1474
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I disagree about the title change.
I like "Apocalypse Meow" because it does make me think of "Apocalypse Now" and gives me an idea of what the series is about.
Is "Cat Shit One" supposed to make me think of something, other than checking the bottom of my shoe?


Same here. I think the title change in this case does the series a service rather than a disservice.
In regards to All You Need is Kill, while I will admit that the odd title did catch my eye and is what got me to check out the synopsis (which led me to buying it), I don't think it's a very good title, especially for a movie. Live. Die. Repeat would have made a much better title than either choice.

This was a good read. You make an interesting point that taking humans out of the equation makes it easier to project yourself on the character whereas a pre-defined human character is intrinsically harder to do so. I never thought about it like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KH91



Joined: 17 May 2013
Posts: 6176
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:46 am Reply with quote
I first got into Cat Shit One with the CGI video that was released a few years ago. What drew me to it? The title. I started laughing out loud. Then seeing what the characters looked like. I said to myself this could only lead to super special awesomeness, and it did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Snomaster1
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 2182
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Here's some ironies here. My mom protested the Vietnam War in her youth. My stepfather was a Vietnam Veteran. I remember you saying that the creator of "Apocalypse Meow" took inspiration for the series "Tour of Duty." I remember one episode I saw of that in which they had a scene of a soldier finding another soldier in a hut. He noticed that he wore a Star of David around his neck and the soldier said "And I thought I was the only Jew in this war." And then he tried to say the Hebrew Prayer of the Dead or what he could remember of it.
I thought it was a shame that "Apocalypse Meow" didn't have any immigrant soldiers. I talked with my stepfather about it and he had met a few immigrants who had served in Vietnam. I wonder how the creator of this manga would have portrayed them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bs3311



Joined: 07 Nov 2011
Posts: 416
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
Wow.......... Cute animals with guns......... WHY HAS'NT JAPAN CAUGHT ON TO THIS FOR A ANIME!? They animated animals in cafe's, but CMON!

This would shoot down Strike Witches, Uppote, Blue Steel an even Girls und Panzer (The most tolerable title). Basically everything in its path.

Reminds me of a lot of the sunday newspaper comic strips that I used to read. Which shows its quality very well in comparison. Now what can Japan come up with next? The Fe Team? Saving Prying Fawns? Black Pidg Down? SO MANY POSSABILITIES!

Is wiki pulling my leg stating that this is a Seinen comic!? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 720
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised to see a write-up on this. This is a pretty neat work, the juxaposition of cute animals with the Vietnam War is weird but really interesting. Kobayashi's extensive research also helps. Too bad it's been so long out of print. Maybe a publisher like Dark Horse could pick up the license? That reminds me, I wonder what happened to that Cat Sh*t One OVA from a couple years back? I know they never got enough support for more episodes, so I guess they gave up on it?


Touma wrote:
As for the manga, I had been avoiding it because I do not really care for stories about the Vietnam war

Any particular reason? Personally, I think we already have enough WWII fiction, and Vietnam War fiction hasn't been done as much.

bs3311 wrote:
Is wiki pulling my leg stating that this is a Seinen comic!?

No joke, like Shaenon said, Kobayashi did his homework. There's tons of historically accurate details about tactics, weaponry, and geography. It's arguably more "accurate" than Strike Witches, Upotte, Girls Und Panzer, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Touma wrote:
As for the manga, I had been avoiding it because I do not really care for stories about the Vietnam war

Any particular reason?

Personal reasons.
Let's just say that I am old enough that it is not ancient history for me, and let it go at that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CoreSignal



Joined: 04 Sep 2014
Posts: 720
Location: California, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Personal reasons.

That's reason enough. Sorry if my question sounded rude, that wasn't my intention at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Touma



Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2651
Location: Colorado, USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Sorry if my question sounded rude, that wasn't my intention at all.

Your question was reasonable and I do not think that it was rude.

As for the manga, even though I do not care much for the setting I am interested in the military otaku aspect. I am not interested enough to buy it, but I will try the library.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 435
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:14 am Reply with quote
Curiously, It's not the first comic who have cute animals figthing in a bloody war. Besides Maus, there's Albedo, an American furry sci-fi comic with a similar topic except with a sci-fi theme, and a very good one by the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group