• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tales Of The Industry - Anime Colony

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Cat worship used to be the thing in ancient Egypt, so he is in good company. Wonder if he got into anime cat girls when it was a thing. Everyone wanted a cat girl banner for their forum posts.

If you have found a boss and work environment that you are comfortable with, sometimes it is worth its weight in gold. Think very hard about going after more money. Because your new boss could be this guy, or someone equally horrible.
Whomst

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
If you want to hear this story from Zac and Justin's perspective, check out this ANNCast episode
animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2009-12-22

It's right at the start of the podcast ~5 minutes in.
Not sure if I'm allowed to even post this because K was named I think.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
(Yeah, remember when we used to give D-'s to Tenchi in Tokyo?) Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
It's fine - if we spilled the beans earlier then that's on us if it winds up being a problem.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
Oh I remember SciFi's Anime Colony, I went looking there for information a couple of times with my then teen & pre-teen sons. That was a mess.

I'm glad you had the courage to walk away, it's a hard thing to do when you need work ( and harder when you have people depending on you ) but you shouldn't let someone abuse you like that. Trust me on this.

Mark Gosdin
release_tha_kraken

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This column is hilarious.

Justin can't get anybody that's *actually* in the industry to send him stories because he shits on them in his columns every day.

Now all we get are these pathetic weekly reveries. Just give it up already.
PmChivas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably still the only anime fan I know to this day that prefers Tenchi in Tokyo over the original. I know!! Blasphemy!! Twisted Evil

I don't know if Anime Colony was the company calling for writers, but I remember back in my Deja News Usenet days ( Shocked ) there was a company calling for anime reviewers to come forward and submit their samples. I assumed it was a fake message and never replied. Too bad, as I may have missed out on a hilarious adventure.

And I could honestly picture you storming away from K and him chasing after you Justin -- the visual here had me cracking up, especially, as he shouted this line: "And thanks to you, this looks like a gay couple breaking up!". Which I'm gonna use from now on whenever I say goodbye to someone. Smile
PmChivas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
release_tha_kraken wrote:

Justin can't get anybody that's *actually* in the industry to send him stories because he shits on them in his columns every day.

K?? Is that you??!! Laughing
thenix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 pm Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:
I'm probably still the only anime fan I know to this day that prefers Tenchi in Tokyo over the original. I know!! Blasphemy!! Twisted Evil

I know how it is to have weird tastes in anime. Tenchi in Tokyo isn't one of them but there were some things about it I enjoyed.

I have to think about 60% of the population have ego problems. So many times I wonder if people either don't see their own problems or if they do see them but then project them on to someone else. I know several people who accuse others of things they are guilty of doing. (Such as was done to the person in this column by K)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
PmChivas wrote:

Tenchi in Tokyo--back in '00 when Universe vs. OAV was the very center of the mainstream US anime-verse--was very easy to give D- to if you'd only watched the first three or four sloppy MOTW episodes, and didn't stay around long enough to see that they rebooted the series into something sensible at episode 7.
(Although a few of the early episodes can be funny too, like the "Part time jobs in Tokyo" one.)

Ah, those long ago knee-jerk days, when these things fired our passions so much hotter.
xchampion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Don't get me wrong. I really like Justin's stories because they are insightful and really informative. Best of all they are really entertaining. I just wish we could get stories from some others in the industry. I'm just wondering Zac and Justin if you have had others in the industry reach out to participate in the column yet?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
release_tha_kraken wrote:

Thankfully you don't speak for the rest of us.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
K sounded like a total puke. Good thing he got fired later on, because he sounded like a total self-absorbed jerk. I'm amazed you were able to tolerate him as long as you could, because I would have called him out on his BS. I'm not as patient with stupid people as I used to be.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:08 pm Reply with quote
XChampion wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I really like Justin's stories because they are insightful and really informative. Best of all they are really entertaining. I just wish we could get stories from some others in the industry. I'm just wondering Zac and Justin if you have had others in the industry reach out to participate in the column yet?

Of the 9 columns posted, 3 have been from others:

They Shoot Their Hostages, Don't They?
The Mecha Saw Combat
Oyaji-san Leaves A Gift

I imagine that getting others from the industry willing to provide a story - even with information redacted - was always going to be a hurdle. They ultimately will make the decision when/if to close the column depending upon participation. For now, it's still a column in its infancy, and regardless if it's Justin or someone else, all of the stories have been an entertaining glance into different situations that have gone on in the industry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I remember this story from one of your End of the Year reviews. Man, that was a nightmare and a half. You hadn't met Zac yet, if memory serves right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5