• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Another great list, as per usual.

Haven't seen much anime from 2009 either, but I would have to go with Umineko's OP. As awful as the show is, I LOVE the OP. Also Haruhi's, love that song too, probably more than then first. I would have put FMA an Monogatari's OPs too, but since they aren't in the list, I won't either. Although you say that you may do a Monogatari list soon? Yes, please.
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
My favorite OPs should be from Bakemonogatari's. Other than that, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei's OPs are too unique not to love.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:28 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the openings of A Certain Scientific Railgun and Tōkyō Magnitude 8.0. They emit a powerful aura that gets me hyped up for the show. Smile
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
The intro riff from A Certain Scientific Railgun's OP never fails to make my blood start pumping, so for a while I used it as my alarm clock tune. No surer way to make yourself hate a song you like Smile

Umineko's OP is the only good thing about it, at least as far as the VN's fans are concerned. I didn't mind the anime too much until I actually checked out the VNs, and yeah, the anime really fails to even approximate the experience. I've heard that the manga adaptations are better, but I haven't checked them out myself.

And yeah, looking forward to the Monogatari list!
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Second time in three set lists (along with Zelda) that Hope's bumper song would've been one of my top 10. 2009 was during a phase when I was out of anime for a while, so the only one on the actual top 10 that I'm familiar with is Haruhi, which is also a favorite of mine, but a lot of these did sound really good. Phantom's been on my long-term radar for a while. Hadn't heard its opening before, but I like it.

The only other 2009 opening that's fairly high on my list of personal favorite openings is Rideback, but because of its stylistic quirks (the opening's CG animation and Mell's heavy Engrish lyrics) I know that's going to be much more of a YMMV than most of these others.
SciasSlash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ringo Mogire Beam is a song about a japanese cult in the 50/60s called the Cosmic Brotherhood Association. They were originally just UFO watchers, but eventually became a bit of a cult (though I don't think they ever committed any violent crimes.)

Their belief was that the world was going to end with a great flood, but that the members of the CBA would be saved by aliens and brought to another planet to continue the human race. The password for their flood shelters was something like 'Rotten Apple, C.' Presumably the metaphorical rotten apple was the earth itself, and the C is a reference to it being the third planet from the sun, but that's just conjecture on my part.

The OP has a lot of spaceship and flood imagery, which fits with that reference. I'm not sure what happened to the CBA, though they seem to have dissolved sometime in 1967.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
2009 has some of the shows that are on my top 15 list and some that I really love and wish would have gotten more seasons. (Some of those are the same shows... I'm lookin' at YOU Spice and Wolf!)

Two of the notable songs, in my opinion, that are missing from the set list are from the two wonderful, but sadly incomplete, yuri series from 2009: Aoi Hana (Sweet Blue Flowers) and Sasameki Koto (Whispered Words). Both of these series are similar, in that they both don't cover nearly enough of the story, finishing spoiler[before the main couple in the show is actually dating.]. In addition, I find their OP songs similar. They are both rather sensual and melancholic, though Aoi Hana's song is a bit more upbeat. They both match the mood of the anime very well, though.

Of course, the visuals for Aoi Hana go under the category of "Most misleading OP visuals EVER". See the spoiler above for the reason that is...

Spice and Wolf music is always high on any song list for me, as well as Haruhi, and Cross Game is a great tune as well... All in all, a good year for OPs.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Like Ms Chapman, 2009 was a hole to me, no shows that were captivating (EofE came close) and the E8 fiasco. However, the Unineko, Eden of the East and Karma OP's were really good.
pandoraking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
i think he missed a lot of great openings. gotta disagree with almost everything xDD
navycherub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
You really nailed why the Cross Game opening works so well. Really great opening to one of the best anime I've ever seen.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It is great to see this column. The set list seems very solid to me. As soon as I saw 2009 I wondered about Bakemonogatari. I think it was a good idea to have a separate set list for it.

And Hope, are you doing a set list with only Bakemonogatari songs, or are you doing the set list with themes from the whole Monogatari franchise?

I look forward to that Bakemonogatari/Monogatari set list.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
A few noteworthy entires, IMO, are:

There are a lot more OPs I wanted to mention, but those are among my top-picks.

A small nitpick: you mentioned in the video that Oasis "did a theme song for an anime". The song was release as part of the Dig Out Your Soul album in late-2008, I.G. Production licensed the song. The wording made it sound like Oasis wrote the song for the anime.
Imitosis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Like you I'm not much of a fan of Zetsubou-sensei as a show, but those OP's are killer. There's a longer version of Ringo Mogire Beam as an OVA opening that I absolutely love because it has more of Gekidan Inu Curry's collage work.

Two of my favorites that didn't make the list are Kimi ni Todoke and Kuuchuu Buranko. Kuuchuu Buranko's an under-watched show so the opening might not be appealing to the uninitiated. The song's very fitting though, a little brash and off-kilter just like the main character.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be a little sacrilegious here and say I prefer the international version of Eden of the East's OPs. I know it had to be replaced for various legal reasons. I like Oasis, especially what with them being my home team and all, but I just felt the character song fit the series a bit better. I hate picking a cheap replacement, but that's just how feel.

Quote:
Umineko's OP is the only good thing about it, at least as far as the VN's fans are concerned. I didn't mind the anime too much until I actually checked out the VNs, and yeah, the anime really fails to even approximate the experience. I've heard that the manga adaptations are better, but I haven't checked them out myself.

Yeah, I'm not so down on the anime, but Umineko is a story that relies too much on it's medium to be adapted well into anything else. I've read a couple of the manga adaptations, and some are a bit better attempts due to not having the limitations of fitting into a broadcast tv slot, but none of them hold a candle to the visual novel.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Of the ones not on the list, I have a soft spot for Railgun, Needless, Ippo New Challenger, Slayers Evolution R, and White Album.

I have a little bias for the last two on song alone. Megumi Hayashibara and Nana Mizuki are a couple of my favorites.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4