• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 EDs of 2009

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
Hey! Give us a break. We have basketball in the UK. (Just not very much and it's not very good. Rolling Eyes ) I really did enjoy Basquash though.

And I couldn't help myself. I too want to know what happens to Yui and co. Do they ever get to Budokan? Don't say 'lazy' gets my vote in an instant. No contest.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Pfft. Fluff tub; yeah that's Nyanko-sensei alright. Natsume's Book of Friends endings are always low-key but Season 2's Ashiteru stands out for me because it doesn't lull me to sleep like the other 3 EDs.

I'll be honest: "Don't say lazy" is my favorite song from a KyoAni series mainly because it doesn't try to sound associated with it's show. Nichijou OPs? Great but I can't separate it from the surreal visuals. Free! ED's? Super fun but both songs includes lyrics that relate back to the show's themes and I can't forget the visuals. Even Sound! OP has a lot of band elements and the singer sounds (IMO) like she's in choir. First time I heard "Don't be lazy" I though it was from some major pop band not the cutesy K-On. Nothing against the show (never seen it) but I get why this song gets so much praise.
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
Great videos. If we're going with EDs, I have to pick Bakemonogatari's ED, that song is probably my favorite ED of all time, I adore it. Marukaite Chikyuu is cute too.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
When it comes to the combination of visuals and music, I guess Eden of the East and K-ON! really did have the best EDs of 2009, but my favorite ending theme of that year is Younha's "Kioku", from Rideback.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
I've only ever heard your top three picks, and in all three cases I liked them less than the OP from their respective shows (marginally in the case of K-On!; so much that I didn't even remember what the ED was like until seeing this video in the case of Eden of the East). Don't Say Lazy would still be my top for the year, if I exclude Bakemonogatari and FMA like you did. Otherwise it's Brotherhood's 2nd OP first, then Bakemonogatari's, then K-On's.

Oh, and apparently the top seven from the 2009 OP poll results are all shows I voted for (haven't watched the bottom three).

albanian wrote:
Hey! Give us a break. We have basketball in the UK. (Just not very much and it's not very good. Rolling Eyes )
Yeah, same here in Russia. I'd wager that out of America's Big 4 sports basketball is the most popular in Europe, only losing to ice hockey in the colder countries. In Lithuania and Latvia it's even bigger than soccer, and in most other countries it's still big enough to count as mainstream. It's the baseball and American football fandoms that are more like niche subcultures around here.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:23 am Reply with quote
I keep hearing the beginning to "It's only Words" by the BeeGees on #8. And forget "guilty pleasure" I love Enya and that whole crowd so I would have put #4 at #1. I'm suprised #7 was allowed because the visuals are so severely sexist, but getting beyond that, I love the sense of humor (better watch out for the black one though!).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:35 am Reply with quote
Guin Saga's ending theme really sold it for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
The ED's for Guin Saga and K-On! are the only ones that caught my attention from this set list. And I agree that Mio is a much better singer than Yui. I also would like to see a K-On! that was edgy.

I look forward to the next set list. And Hope, I hope you can make a set list of Blood Blockade Battlefront soon. By the way, (I am sure you already know this) the first BBB volume sold around 17k.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
The ending song of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 2) felt refreshing to hear after experiencing all of the craziness from Haruhi's supernatural journey.
redcar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice list, I'd totally forgotten about how cool Eden of the East's closer is. My other choices would be Guin Saga (for beauty) and Spice and Wolf II (for cuteness).

Speaking of Guin Saga's closer, its initial melody plagued me with a sense of déjà vu for such a long time, until I finally found its source: Handel's Keyboard suite in D minor, movement 4 (Sarabande). I was so glad to finally figure it out! (Though it happened even worse later with Slayers Try and Brahms Symphony #3 movement 3).

As for the Guin Saga anime itself, I felt it was an interesting and underappreciated series, though it did suffer a bit from fantasy-world sprawl. I suppose that's to be expected from the sheer volume of literary work behind it, though.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Most of the time EDs just don't grab me quite that much cause they are often more of those soft pop/ballad type songs like what a good portion of Hope's list is. I may appreciate the song the 1st time I listen to it, but 9 times out of 10 I'll never bother watching it again. The only song on Hope's list that I'd actually listen to multiple times that fits that category of song is the Cross Game ED. Luckily not all EDs are like that as seen in Hope's #1 and 2 which are likely my #1 and #2 as well. Don't Say "Lazy" and Eden of the East's EDs are songs that I can easily just throw on my phone/ipod and enjoy them by themselves.

Only other song I'm voting for on the voter list aside from K-ON and Eden of the East's EDs is Kirari Futari - Natsu no Arashi.
Mhora

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Aaaaw. The ending to Kimi ni Todoke makes me cry every time.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
A few of my picks:
  • Hajime no Ippo: New Challenger's ED ("8 AM" by coldrain);
  • Major S5's ED #1 ("Stay with me" by Hitomi Shimatani);
  • Kōkaku no Regios' ED #1/#2 ("Yasashii Uso" by Chrome Shelled/"Ai no Zuellni" by Chrome Shelled);
  • Sengoku Basara's ED ("Break & Peace" by Dustz);
  • Dragon Ball Kai's ED #1 ("Yeah! Break! Care! Break!" by Tanimoto Takayoshi);
  • Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood's ED #1/#3 ("Uso" by SID/"Tsunaida Te" by Lil'B);
  • Saki's ED #3 ("Shikakui Uchuu de Matteru yo" by Ueda Kana, Koshimizu Ami, Kugimiya Rie, Shiraishi Ryōko, and Itō Shizuka);
  • Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu (2009 re-airing)'s ED ("Tomare!" by Hirano Aya, Gotō Yūko, and Chihara Minori);
  • Bakemonogatari's ED ("Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari" by supercell; performed by nagi (Gazelle));
  • Toaru Kagaku no Railgun's ED #1 ("Dear My Friend -Mada Minu Mirai he-" by ELISA);
  • Kimi ni Todoke's ED ("Kataomoi" by Chara);
  • Fairy Tail's ED #1 ("Kanpeki gu~no ne" by Watarirouka Hashiri Tai).

There are more that I wanted to post, but squeezing 12 EDs in a Top 10-esque article seems enough Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
@Hameyadea

Wow. That is dedication. I would be to lazy to find the names and artists of those themes, let alone embed videos. I am so glad to not be that obsessed with what I post on ANN.

I think you are trying too hard to sound like an expert.
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
My favorite of that group is "After the Rain" from Erin. It's a gentle, hopeful sounding song that gave a sense everything would work out for the main character (who goes through some very harrowing moments).

I think the sad but sweet ED from Cross Game is the best of the list because it fits the show perfectly. It hit me pretty hard the first time I heard it and got more intense as I became more invested in the characters.

"Don't Say Lazy" is my ringtone

Last edited by TG72 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3