• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Stars Victory VS+ Game's English Video Showcases 'Fighting Stars'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they showed Hiei but not Yusuke/Toguro.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
not gonna lie the fighting engine or whatever its called its quite possibly the most horrid thing I've ever played... but I mean come on the matchups are a dream come true(goku vs medaka vs luffy vs naruto), i only wish kumagawa was his own character... and a better engine
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

not gonna lie the fighting engine or whatever its called its quite possibly the most horrid thing I've ever played... but I mean come on the matchups are a dream come true(goku vs medaka vs luffy vs naruto), i only wish kumagawa was his own character... and a better engine

These games aren't meant to be serious fighting games and worry about things like balance. Fans play these just to fight with their favorite charas, that's all. Reminds us of those 90s Sailor Moon fighting games that copied SF button combos.
IanC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I find the fighting fun, personally. It's full 3d so it's never going to be as exact as a 2nd fighter.

I really can't help but notice how Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be missing. I mean not even a support character? I'm guessing Konami wouldn’t let it happen.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:

I really can't help but notice how Yu-Gi-Oh seems to be missing. I mean not even a support character? I'm guessing Konami wouldn’t let it happen.

Pictures of Yugi appear in a section where you can build a deck of cards to buff your character.

So it's not like they wouldn't have the rights.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

These games aren't meant to be serious fighting games and worry about things like balance. Fans play these just to fight with their favorite charas, that's all. Reminds us of those 90s Sailor Moon fighting games that copied SF button combos.

true but without something like balance its impossible to get 'casual' gamers to play or even people like me to keep playing. I mean once you get past the dream matchups its the gameplay thatll ... keep you playing. I mean blazblue has very heavy anime elements but the fair battle system allows me to recommend it to anyone who wants to play a new fighter game and enjoy a well told story.

@IanC
yugioh characters... in a fighter game... that would be rather interesting lmao.
Kaiba uses "throw money at it" and finishes with |screw the rules i have money!"
yugi uses mind crush and exodia Obliterate.
Joey uses street fighting combined with bullying
Yusei... runs you over with his god damn motorcycle
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

Jump Super Stars and its sequel Jump Ultimate Stars played really well though. It has a lot more playable characters, and they were just DS games. I still play a few games with my friends from time to time.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Calsolum wrote:

I think what's needed is time. Eventually, something resembling balance can come out of it if this proves to be popular enough. I don't know if it'll have online battling, but you're going to get a lot of people who play strictly to win, and they'll know which characters are the most overpowered. If the game gets a strong online scene, it will be a big incentive to take more efforts to balance the game.

I mean, Smash Bros. had huge balance issues when it was new, but now, according to Event Hubs, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U is about as even as Guilty Gear Xrd SIGN. (The lowest character in SSB4 has 62.7% of the points of the top character; Xrd's bottom character has 64.2 compared to its top character.)

Then again, the Naruto Ultimate Storm games have had minimal efforts for balancing. Naruto and Sasuke are overpowered, and everyone else is either fodder for these two or became accidentally overpowered.

IanC wrote:

Yeah, that was my guess--Konami having the rights probably put a snag in that.

Calsolum wrote:
true but without something like balance its impossible to get 'casual' gamers to play or even people like me to keep playing. I mean once you get past the dream matchups its the gameplay thatll ... keep you playing. I mean blazblue has very heavy anime elements but the fair battle system allows me to recommend it to anyone who wants to play a new fighter game and enjoy a well told story.

@IanC
yugioh characters... in a fighter game... that would be rather interesting lmao.
Kaiba uses "throw money at it" and finishes with |screw the rules i have money!"
yugi uses mind crush and exodia Obliterate.
Joey uses street fighting combined with bullying
Yusei... runs you over with his god damn motorcycle

I would disagree--it's the hardcore who insist on game balance. They're the ones who will insist on using the most difficult character to beat all the time, and everyone else will have to either adapt by using this character, or his or her bad matchups, or be prepared to lose a lot more than they win. Anyone less than hardcore, I'd say, is most likely to pick their favorites regardless of if they're overpowered or underpowered, until they run up against the brick walls that are the play-strictly-to-win players.

Yugi Mutou was a playable character in the DS Jump Stars games, by the way. If I recall correctly, he was a summoner type of character: He did very little to no direct attacking, letting the monsters from his deck do the attacking for him or creating effects, either good ones for himself or bad ones for his opponents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1