• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers Unaired Free! Eternal Summer Episode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm psyched that they'll release the OVA and I'm always a sucker for art books, but that price tag is giving me a pause.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I preordered the premium edition earlier today. Very Happy Looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes! So glad they licensed it.

But ouch. Don't think I can afford the premium edition right now...I'll think it over. Of what they're offering, I really would only want the art book. But is that worth it when the LE version is just 45 USD at TRSI?
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
This is what they should have done for the limited edition in the first place, at least imo ._.'
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
OMG... If no one gets this for me as a pre-ordered gift for my bday...I'm gonna cry enough water for Haru to swim in! Anime hyper...

I need this in my life...Or I just might not...make it...*dies*
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
That price tag tho...
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:50 am Reply with quote
Right now $89.99 is nothing compared to it's actual retail price...it's a must! and it's still so much cheaper than buying the episodes seperately in japan!
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
That price is ouch especially after spending hundreds of dollars at AX today lol. But that ova is one of the best things that have ever graced this earth so I must have it.
FMAvatard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
This news would've been great to know BEFORE I ordered the LE.

Are they releasing the OVA entirely on its own?? That sounds so...bare.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:01 am Reply with quote
Funi is known to release OVAs as a standalone. They've done so with Tsubasa, and with FMA (but those were the ova shorts, i think...)
fencer_x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:49 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I'm psyched that they'll release the OVA and I'm always a sucker for art books, but that price tag is giving me a pause.

Why are you 'psyched'? It's part of the DVD collection. It was always a given they would release it. I'm not really sure why this article is titled the way it is. It's like saying "Funimation offers to release all of the episodes they licensed".
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:

Why are you 'psyched'? It's part of the DVD collection. It was always a given they would release it. I'm not really sure why this article is titled the way it is. It's like saying "Funimation offers to release all of the episodes they licensed".

Sometimes companies aren't able to license OVAs or specials. Off the top of my head, I know Sentai didn't get the director's cut of Gatchaman Crowds' last episode. Funimation didn't get the Hetalia = Fantasia OVA. There are some other examples, too.

When Free was initially announced, nothing indicated that they had the OVA and it wasn't being included in the set. It was released with the series in Japan, but it's kind of considered a separate entity as far as licensing goes.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
*smacks forehead*
Okay, then I'll just cancel my Limited Edition and pre-order the Premium Edition; no biggie. That still leaves the FrFr! shorts but I'm guessing that not negotiable since it's part of the season one release. Entry for a figma eh? I hope Right Stuf can get hold of some merch beyond t-shirts and phone covers. I would love to have and chance to grab the Haruka, Makoto, and Rin figures (I hope Sousuke will be included later on).

@fencer-x: Sorry but here in the United States its really rare for extras (shorts, pictures, booklets, etc.) to be included in contracts. Justin mentioned this in Anime Economy. One reason why Aniplex of America is so pricey: they either directly import it to include extras or they have Limited or Premium Editions. Sentai Filmworks, for example, rarely goes beyond the Japanese dub, English sub (dub), clean OP/ED, and trailers. The most recent examples of collection editions are Chunibyou season 1 and No Game No Life. Funimation's bonus box sets are on and off & have recently started their Funi Store Exclusives; I had no clue Noragami had a Premium version that included a 5 yen coin!
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:33 am Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
fencer_x wrote:

Sometimes companies aren't able to license OVAs or specials. Off the top of my head, I know Sentai didn't get the director's cut of Gatchaman Crowds' last episode. Funimation didn't get the Hetalia = Fantasia OVA. There are some other examples, too.

OVA's are sometimes owned by different companies then the one who produces normal episodes. Funi rarely is able to get all OVA or even some, Senran Kagura and Fairy Tail each have shorts and OVAs but none were ever dubbed (Which sucks cause the Fairy Tail Waterpark OVA is really funny).

One Piece Specials we not dubbed because different companies owned them ( I thought someone said a Raman company owned Episode 0)
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I preordered right away so I wouldn't forget... like I did with Cowboy Bebop. I know this is probably getting old to hear, but I'm so, so sad there wasn't something like this for the first season. Honestly I liked season 1 better.

And releasing a one episode OVA by itself in this day and age? Funi must think they can really milk this one. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2