• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cyborg 009 Vs. Devilman Anime Reveals Main Devilman Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
It's interesting that Saori Hayami has also played an Angeloid for Sora no Oto and now she plays the girlfriend of Devilman,
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:19 am Reply with quote
Hope they announce the Cyborg 009 cast members soon.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm praying like hell this comes over here somehow.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:44 am Reply with quote
Didn't Cyborg 009 bomb here as both an anime and a manga though? I love Cyborg 009, but I don't think it's popular enough to get another chance so easily.

Devilman can go either way though. I don't know anything about how popular it is in the west.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Didn't Cyborg 009 bomb here as both an anime and a manga though? I love Cyborg 009, but I don't think it's popular enough to get another chance so easily.

Cyborg 009 had several manga and anime. If you're talking about RE:, yes it wasn't liked, but the franchise in general is still strong in Japan, as it's a rather iconic series.

Quote:

Devilman can go either way though. I don't know anything about how popular it is in the west.

No it's not popular in the West, but it has some fans. Japan is where it's actually popular for being an iconic series, yet again.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, what I mean is that I cannot recall a single moment when Cyborg 009 was popular in its entire run. The 2001 series was dubbed and aired on Cartoon Network, for instance, but it was eventually shoved into the Friday night death slot.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit the designs will take me some getting used to. To be honest I don't know what colors Devilman is supposed to be "green" like his old 70's version or the flesh tone. But seems this design is moving closer to Amon territory. It's not bad let's hope they wow us with some awesome animation scenes in the way that Dynamic Pro can deliver.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Well, what I mean is that I cannot recall a single moment when Cyborg 009 was popular in its entire run. The 2001 series was dubbed and aired on Cartoon Network, for instance, but it was eventually shoved into the Friday night death slot.

It's a series from the 60s that people in the USA didn't grow up with. Same thing with Devilman (Early 70s)

There's been like 3 Cyborg 009 tv series so far. One in the 60s, one at the complete end of the 70s, and one in 2001.

The one you watched on Toonami is most likely the 2001 version, which I heard was very well received in its home country.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
It is definitely the 2001 version, and it's the only version that's had any major push in the west.

Getting whatever volumes of the manga I could, I knew that in order to appreciate it, you'd have to keep in mind that it was written during the Cold War, and I knew that alone would hold back sales, as at that time (and even now), manga was largely read by people too young to have felt the Cold War directly.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:24 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It is definitely the 2001 version, and it's the only version that's had any major push in the west.

Getting whatever volumes of the manga I could, I knew that in order to appreciate it, you'd have to keep in mind that it was written during the Cold War, and I knew that alone would hold back sales, as at that time (and even now), manga was largely read by people too young to have felt the Cold War directly.

Just keep in mind that the manga has many attempts at an ending.

The author died before he could get to a proper ending though. That ending was only done a few years ago by his son I believe.

http://the-artifice.com/cyborg-009-retrospective/
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Daimon Kaito graduated from puzzles. Cant wait for later this year.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I keep hoping someone will rescue license the 2001 series. I want to hear dubbed God's War. I'd would also like to see the 1979 Cyborg 009 series licensed as well Anime smile + sweatdrop
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Damn! Those designs are awesome! Cant wait to see this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1