• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece's Robin Figure Wears a Sweater, and Not Much Else

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
While I don't watch One Piece, Stephanie "Robin" Young-Brehm also played another fan service-friendly anime woman, Sekirei's Kazehana.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? This type of imagery is part of the reason why I stopped watching One Piece.

It's not bad for characters to be sexually appealing, but it started to feel like sex appeal was defining characters and there was little story to enjoy.

The figure looks great, but that's not what I want from Nico Robin.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Wowzers. One Piece's proportions really don't work in 3D.
Aara123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
Seriously? This type of imagery is part of the reason why I stopped watching One Piece.

It's not bad for characters to be sexually appealing, but it started to feel like sex appeal was defining characters and there was little story to enjoy.

You are correct in that fan service became more prominent as the series went on, but in no way does it detract from the story as a whole, and to say there's little story to enjoy is an outright lie. When you get to the meat of the story arcs, there is little to no fanservice anywhere and it's all about character development and action.
KH91

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
And thats how I like it.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Funny how we call "Naruto" and "Bleach" sexist because the girls aren't John Rambo, and yet people who care about social justice never get on Oda's case for how he draws female characters.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Nico has taken sexual appeal to the extreme...
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Funny how we call "Naruto" and "Bleach" sexist because the girls aren't John Rambo, and yet people I disagree with politically never get on Oda's case for how he draws female characters.

For one thing One Piece doesn't have anywhere near as worthless a female lead as Sakura in Naruto.

And Orihime her first chapter back to the story in this arc her color page makes her look like she is giving a blowjob, a handjob and her boobs are open for a titjob all at once. http://www.mangamint.com/bleach-587

Though that isn't to say Oda is really that good with female characters. He isn't and this is coming from his biggest fan, I think he is a genius and One Piece is a cornerstone of shounen mangas. I will agree the female characters are not the best written and aren't given their time to shine. I am still waiting for the day Robin gets another fight her one and only one being back in Skypeia. Though saying all this it is a byproduct of Japanese culture being one of a very male dominated society. In most shounen mangas the female characters are not well written and generally do nothing or have very few fights. Hell the the vast majority of the subgenre of ecchi/fan-service animes are nothing but boob fondling, panty shots, and other erotic imagery.

Last edited by Monster Hunter on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Doomroar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

You just don't consume Toei's work you read the manga, you amateur.
grooven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Oda and his women -_-
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
I am with you Levitz9, this figure is so grossly out of proportion to the character I saw in the few One Piece episodes I've watched that all I can say is it's revolting and not because of the skimpy outfit (which gives the impression of a split sausage casing). Wonder if it'll sell...
Lusbox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
This barely even looks like Robin, Oda may draw his women out of proportion but no where near as bad as this. The Nami and Boa figures that are coming out around the same time look just as bad, so many characters to choose from and Megahouse decide on more bikini figures.
championferret

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Without any One Piece logo, I would honestly have not been able to tell that this was Robin. It doesnt look like her at all.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
what's the relation of this one and that figurine with oversize boobs from before? the same company? created by guys with some sort of boobs fetish? animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-08-25/super-pochako-gets-a-tan-for-new-bikini-figure/.92077

it doesn't even look like robin .. also the size is much bigger vs the manga/anime

interesting how a female character's breasts can change so much even for those 17+

only in anime/fan service world

looking at nami and robin after the time skip....robin is around 28 when she joined the crew..

maybe the revolutionary army also provide breast implants for their members Rolling Eyes
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:49 am Reply with quote
I can only be like Shocked to those boobs. Not surprising seeing as the P.O.P line has had some other rather risque figures of the ladies of One Piece. But hey, that's what's going to sell right? We're lucky that they haven't made the figures so that they can become nude like some other ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4