• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tiger & Bunny Tops Most-Wanted Original Anime Sequel Poll

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
my only hope for an actual tiger and bunny sequel is that they go off the anime and not the film so as to keep the continuity solid and not confuse the heck out of people like eureka seven AO did going off of the film and not the previous anime title
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Madoka wasn't on the list!

But yes more Space Dandy and especially Shirobako please!
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako is actually possible imo and wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I'm going to go with no on Psycho Pass and Space Dandy. The latter is best suitable for a film instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
4. Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt

In Japan? Now that is shocking.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Shirobako is actually possible imo and wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

I'm going to go with no on Psycho Pass and Space Dandy. The latter is best suitable for a film instead.

I believe the staff said a movie was possible if the series did well enough.

But I really hope you're right on Shirobako.
Alabaster Spectrum

Wow Tiger and Bunny, a franchise I actually enjoy beat out a Gen Urobuchi vehicle of any sort in Japan and by a considerable margin at that? Shocked Japans tastes must be diversifying a little again in a way I can get behind since I always expect these polls to just be rife with the sort of flavor of the month light/visual novel stuff we see every season.

I always said that the big show for me of 2011 wasn't Madoka Magica like it seemed to be for virtually everyone else, but Tiger and Bunny, to be honest I didn't even know the former existed before it became so talked about and hyped up that it was impossible not to notice it. Anyway so much fun seeing a story about a washed up middle aged hero finding his way into semi-retirement, enduring the hardships of his final cases, getting back in touch with his family and finally gaining the respect of his peers one last time to relive his old glory days. You just don't expect to see a show like that anymore these days let alone at the time it came out let alone it be successful. I'd really be down for more yarns like that instead of just all this cynical deconstruction stuff that's caught on pretty much since.

Speaking of which since that year though I really can't say anything has gone right in terms of my tastes and interests in anime in the 2010's and there seems to be a growing sentiment in Japan of late as well that this is the case and that the overall quality of anime series per season in the 2010's peaked early in 2011/2012 so far this decade, but this poll shows a potential opening for some honestly decent stuff (if the industry doesn't just ignore it to go for the easy low hanging fruit for another 5 years) getting followups that I have enjoyed since like Shirobako, Space Dandy and Panty & Stocking, really there's not many shows on this poll that I can say are too similar so there's some variety there as well which is neat. With Lupin III back too this season who knows, maybe 2016 holds some hope.

Keep in mind I'm not saying I wish Light/Visual novel type series will go away forever, they could just stand to be less utterly dominant and the major focus of producers to turn into anime. I think they've gotten more than there due as a focus for the industry in the last decade or so.

Just really really surprising stuff though, especially at a sample like 14,000 or so. Can the industry really ignore this I wonder cause lately it feels like it's been trying to tell fans what it should like, support and buy rather than actually listening to what the fans truly seem to want and I can't help but notice that while not floundering, overall sales seem to be down in recent seasons below what I would expect for your average TV series and that the general mood of the fanbase seems kind of sour and out of sync somehow and it has me wondering if it's all coincidence or related somehow.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
eekin

Someday Moribito & Skullman will gets its due.
reidwyr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MONONOKE! YES! I can't believe this anime still has a fanbase. Man... if only this really meant there is an actual chance of them making more.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, in the list is Hell girl, but after a Live action tv series and 3 anime seasons an 4 season is unnecesary.

About Tiger and Bunny. The anime is adictive, I saw it years ago, but I'm not a fan, so if the creatos decide to a second season I wont watch it. Another unnecesary idea, for me.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Sunrise and Bones need to stop playing around with my...our hearts and continue T&B and DTB.

As for light novel adaptions...Index III!
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Although it's not something that I am actively yearning for, I would happily watch more T&B. Still a lot of story potential there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I would love a second season of T and B. I watched the Rising recently, and whilst I enjoyed it a lot, I agree that there's a lot more story could be told.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope so. T&B ended on a cliffhanger that didn't get resolved in "The Rising."
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Funny. All we hear all the time is that 'Japanese don't like western influenced anime' and/or non otaku/fujoshi shows anymore. Yet here we are with Tiger & Bunny, Mononoke, Panty & Stocking, Space Dandy, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black on this list. You don't get much more 'western influenced' than T&B, Psycho Pass or Panty & Stocking. Actually there's not a single 'moe' title on this list.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the respondents were 80% female? Even that proves though that women like more than just hot guys playing sports and acting yaoi. True Tiger&Bunny and Psycho Pass have hot guys but there's no Free! or things like that on the list. If anything this survey seems to contradict the conventional wisdom that there's no audience for shows that don't focus on hot guys and/or hot girls.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Pretty awesome list here.

Tiger & Bunny was great, I'd totally be up for another series. I'd also love to see another (hopefully better than the uneven S2) Darker Than Black, the first season especially was so damned good.

More Psycho-Pass with Kogami back would be worth it as well.

maoyen wrote:
Quote:
4. Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt

In Japan? Now that is shocking.

Same with Space Dandy, didn't expect to see either of them there at all. That's surprisingly cool since both were great.

Lili-Hime wrote:
Funny. All we hear all the time is that 'Japanese don't like western influenced anime' and/or non otaku/fujoshi shows anymore. Yet here we are with Tiger & Bunny, Mononoke, Panty & Stocking, Space Dandy, Psycho Pass, Darker than Black on this list. You don't get much more 'western influenced' than T&B, Psycho Pass or Panty & Stocking. Actually there's not a single 'moe' title on this list.

Yup, it's pretty neat to see. And Darker Than Black, with all the "secret agents" that thing totally has a completely international feel.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3