• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Would've Saved Manglobe?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
everything made in the last 5 years was based on something else.

Samurai Flamenco came out in 2013 and it is an original title, not an adaptation. That being said it sold very poorly.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Claiming low disk sales had nothing to do with Manglobe's collapse seems a bit disingenuous. While Manglobe wouldn't directly earn dividends on disk sales, production commitees, as discussed in the article, will hire studios they think will assist thrm in making the most profit on their media franchise, of which disk sales are an integral part. While the sales of any one particular recent series were unlikely to have a direct impact on the studio's finances, years of disappointing, shoddy adaptations of popular franchises fraught with poor quality and alienating fans would strongly bias producers against working with them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:57 pm Reply with quote
It's baffling that the studio started with two big budget projects like that(one being an art-house show,which rarely make money). They should've started with some well-known proprieties so they could show what they could do. If they did,they probably would've been given more projects,instead of being that studio that was given these risky projects on the cheap.

Last edited by Themaster20000 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
nothing. It's just business. I don't know how it is over there but here the IRS stated that about 2/3 of small businesses will not last the first 2 years..

for those that survived the first 2 years.. well depends on the competition and the market

this studio might be going under but its staffs will have to find something else to do .. so they might join some other studio or forming a new studio.. etc.. who knows..

life goes on
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Considering how often I've heard that anime studios barely make a profit and cannot afford to pay workers more money, I'm surprised that more studios have not went bankrupt.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Adapting to moe sooner instead of later.
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
It's so werid watching Toonami now and seeing Michiko and Hatchin knowing that the Manglobe went out of business. Wow. It's probably because they had such big flops in the last few years that made them go out of business. It's hard being a animation studio. I hope none of the other ones go out of business!
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Adapting to moe sooner instead of later.

{Trolling is not permitted. ~nobahn}

Quote:

Considering how often I've heard that anime studios barely make a profit and cannot afford to pay workers more money, I'm surprised that more studios have not went bankrupt.

Their main revenue is through merchandise. Remember, what keeps them afloat is their die hard fanbase hence why certain anime are seen as profitable instead of others.

Shame that Manglobe had to go. They seem to be trying their hardest to cover all bases, but I have to admit their recent titles of Samflam and Gangsta. just wasn't up to the par to deserve high sales. Their only true Golden Goose of this decade is God only Knows and it shows. Still, if a studio like Arms is still alive and kicking (to my knowledge), anything can happen.

Last edited by Paiprince on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Manglobe, wasn`t heading any of the series in the last five years? Besides, "Samurai Flamenco". What exactly, would have done this to them, then? I honestly, thought it was because they took part in heading the series. (Edit: Oh, most likely because they aren`t being payed enough for their jobs and etc, have to actually spend more money, than what they are being payed for.)

What do you guys think, really happened?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:37 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people are asking questions that were answered.

He says Samurai Flamenco was the only original property in the past 5 years, but it is hardly worth mentioning due to poor sales. Another person is questioning why sales don't amtter as much, because they 'should' get a cut, but it was even mentioned in the article for quite a few lines that Studios don't get anything like royalties on works that aren't their own. Yeah they get royalties on an original IP like Samurai Flamenco, but it sold so poorly it barely matters.

I think this article, despite not having tons of hard data, was really good in contouring the issue.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget a Company has expenses just to keep running.

If a company doesn't do any work in 1 year, meaning that they don't earn nor spend money in any work, doesn't mean that it will end in the same situation as the beginning of the year, in reality they will end with more debt!
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:

It's going to happen more over the next few years, and on paper, it makes sense.

Running a physical anime studio isn't cheap, especially in Tokyo. As much of today's anime is done by computer, there's no reason to keep many of these studios around.

It's cheaper to free-lance/contract, and this is where anime is going. Much like Hollywood using green screens/CGI to produce movies, it's about reducing costs while raking in profits they don't have to share with free-lance/contractors.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Running a physical anime studio isn't cheap, especially in Tokyo. As much of today's anime is done by computer, there's no reason to keep many of these studios around.

It's cheaper to free-lance/contract, and this is where anime is going. Much like Hollywood using green screens/CGI to produce movies, it's about reducing costs while raking in profits they don't have to share with free-lance/contractors.

CG is expensive, even the low quality stuff. And you have to hire additional people to do that, or pay an external company. One thing that could cut costs, though I personally wouldn't like/want it, is if they switched to graphic tablets rather than pencil and paper, that must cost a lot in resources.
Randomfart

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime is dying. That's whats happening.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't really have an answer for how to fix any of this,

Actually, you said it yourself. Pass a law in Japan which requires that royalties from merch sales go to the production studios.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4