• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niantic Raises US$20 Million for Pokémon GO AR Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jajanken

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Holy shit I'll have to try this out if its actually that hype
Shirohae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder if we have to buy that wristband device...but I really wanna try this!!!!
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:26 am Reply with quote
I still dont get the concept, how this thing gonna works without relying on smartphone all of time? I can imagine the player can see the virtual Pokemon via virtual reality glasses like Google Glass but with only Pokemon wristband how that's supposed to work?
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
I still don't get the concept, how this thing gonna works without relying on smartphone all of time? I can imagine the player can see the virtual Pokemon via virtual reality glasses like Google Glass but with only Pokemon wristband how that's supposed to work?

The wristband is only to alert you when something is going on so you can pull out your phone. Nintendo said it wants to do it this way so you can walk around and pay attention to your surroundings instead of staring at your phone waiting for something to happen while walking around. Then when the wristband lights up/vibrates to alert you, you pull out your phone to see what is going on.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
HYPE TRAIN INCOMING
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
Seems like something that except for the biggest of fans would get old extremely quick. Not only that, but an external accessory needs to be bought for it to work without staring at your phone all the time while walking? It's genius. Will definitely make some money even with no more than a year or two of active participation.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote
I know an Ingress player who is also a Pokémon fan and will be all over this.

Shirohae wrote:
I wonder if we have to buy that wristband device

"Players can still play the game without the device."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote
The hype cannot get much bigger. Can't wait for this! I'm slightly worried it's created so much hype it can't possibly live up to expectations, but here's hoping!
Kebble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I pity the poor guy who walks into a busy intersection because he was trying to catch a Pikachu on his phone.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Crystalyn wrote:

The wristband is only to alert you when something is going on so you can pull out your phone. Nintendo said it wants to do it this way so you can walk around and pay attention to your surroundings instead of staring at your phone waiting for something to happen while walking around. Then when the wristband lights up/vibrates to alert you, you pull out your phone to see what is going on.

So it is not really what we expected... Damn, if they managed to pair with VR glasses it will be same like what they advertise in PV.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:
I pity the poor guy who walks into a busy intersection because he was trying to catch a Pikachu on his phone.

This is my biggest fear for GO. That some idiot is going to do something like this and ruin it for everyone else as parents everywhere go nuts and try to ban the thing. Hopefully the creators are thinking about this, since the last thing we need are headlines like "Boy Falls Off a Cliff While Playing Pokemon GO!" or "Girl runs across highway and is hit while playing Pokemon GO!"
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kebble wrote:

I'd imagine it won't be hard to set streets or dangerous areas out of bounds to prevent exactly this since it is tied to some kind of map service.

Does anyone know how Niantic manages Ingress?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a way for The Pokémon Company to compete with Yo-kai Watch.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1